Who's interior creaks?

miltybilty

Reaction score
Anybody have fairly loud interior creaking over uneven roads?

Lowered or modified suspension A3's or S3's

Anybody have creaky interiors on stock S3 or stock A3 S-Line?

Just wondering if I have an odd setup that's more creaky than others or maybe just the 8P chassis just isn't stiff enough.

Comment!

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar

Stock A3 s-line here and no creaks really. Well, the sun roof is creaking a bit but its due for a good cleaning/greasing. And living in Montréal I drive on major leagues crappy roads!

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) en utilisant Tapatalk

Stock A3 s-line here and no creaks really. Well, the sun roof is creaking a bit but its due for a good cleaning/greasing. And living in Montréal I drive on major leagues crappy roads!

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) en utilisant Tapatalk
Good to know .... Creak on bad uneven roads at all or pretty quiet?

Stock suspension?

I've got sways and lowering springs and wondering if that made the creak loud.

190000km on it.

Montreal has bad roads for sure .... I feel bad for you all, still we have some pretty trash roads around the GTA .... My friend took his Duramax to Montreal and was saying that pretty much small cars were disappearing into potholes .... Sounds rough ....

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar

Somewhat quiet yes. But now that I think of it, there is some slight rattle from time to time but I'm not sure where its coming from (I have 2 baby seats so that might just be that). But when I drive on good even roads (doesnt happen very often though), the car is very silent.

And yes stock suspension so far, 115 000km on it (but looking to upgrade to Eibach pro and probably Bilstein B4s someday)

OT: Yes our roads sucks, they'll get them right someday, with all the experience they're gaining by re-paving them every year or two :facepalm:

Reactions: miltybilty
I have a stock A3 s-line. Definitely get some creaking from the interior on uneven roads, mostly from the top lid of the armrest (I think from when I pulled it apart to repair the catch). And also from the hard plastic cover that sits over the handbrake lever as it goes into the centre console, creaks a lot when I apply pressure to it. Don't know how to stop it I would stop it without taking the whole centre console apart.

Reactions: downtothebone
s3 with magnetic ride here, lowered and live in Peru, South America, so definitely here beats you all together. All my interior creaks unfortunately :'(
specially center armrest, door cards, the headrests of the seats rattle a little, and theres something on top of me that rattles too, not sure if its the inner mirror, or the sunroof lid.

Reactions: KKOG
Mines like ron weasley being dragged into the screaking shack ! Headliner/sunroof, centre armrest, glove box, the whole lot! mines lowered and has all the stiffening stuff so of course. I just live with it. I like to feel my car and hear it too

Reactions: fernando young
I’m not aware of any creaking trim on my car, a rather noisy and harsh ride yes , but creaks no.
Perhaps I play the stereo too loud to hear any creaks though, lol.

I use to get some random interior panel creaks on my old S3 (10 plate), stock suspension. This also has a suspension knocking noise that i never managed to resolve. Nothing overly noticeable and I couldn't quite figure out where it was coming from. Panaramic roof was also part of this, noticeable on very uneven roads.
No creaks on my current S3 (12) with mag ride, even from the panaramic roof. So i'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

s3 with magnetic ride here, lowered and live in Peru, South America, so definitely here beats you all together. All my interior creaks unfortunately :'(
specially center armrest, door cards, the headrests of the seats rattle a little, and theres something on top of me that rattles too, not sure if its the inner mirror, or the sunroof lid.
Apologies OP for the slight change of subject! Fernando Young, how has lowering your car effected your mag ride? Does it still work? I've heard coil overs are the best option if you have mag ride?

Apologies OP for the slight change of subject! Fernando Young, how has lowering your car effected your mag ride? Does it still work? I've heard coil overs are the best option if you have mag ride?

they work like a charm, i feel like they're great for track, they get rock solid with minimal body roll

you can't use coilovers with magnetic ride tho

I use to get some random interior panel creaks on my old S3 (10 plate), stock suspension. This also has a suspension knocking noise that i never managed to resolve. Nothing overly noticeable and I couldn't quite figure out where it was coming from. Panaramic roof was also part of this, noticeable on very uneven roads.
No creaks on my current S3 (12) with mag ride, even from the panaramic roof. So i'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

btw i get the same knock, i've just rebuilt my entire suspension to find out where is it knocking and no luck
i've already tried subframe dead sets, i've got new droplinks and lowered them (because i thought it was the sway bar touching with the wishbone), i've wrapped the coil springs (in case the noise was coil slap), i've wrapped the sway bar near the wishbones, changed strut mounts and bearings, changed the ball joints, and got brand new polyurethane bushes in all the front.

i've used all my options to get rid of that knocking and still dont know what is it

they work like a charm, i feel like they're great for track, they get rock solid with minimal body roll

Oh! I thought coilovers were the only thing that worked with mag ride. What have you used to lower the car that hasn't effected the mag ride?

btw i get the same knock, i've just rebuilt my entire suspension to find out where is it knocking and no luck
i've already tried subframe dead sets, i've got new droplinks and lowered them (because i thought it was the sway bar touching with the wishbone), i've wrapped the coil springs (in case the noise was coil slap), i've wrapped the sway bar near the wishbones, changed strut mounts and bearings, changed the ball joints, and got brand new polyurethane bushes in all the front.

i've used all my options to get rid of that knocking and still dont know what is it

That really sucks, but i know exactly what you mean. I was following a thread on here where someone had the exact same issue. Like you, he was going through replacing parts to try and get rid of the knocking noise but with no luck. Use to drive my up the wall and part of the reason i moved on from my old S. I'll wish you all the best if you give it another try!

That really sucks, but i know exactly what you mean. I was following a thread on here where someone had the exact same issue. Like you, he was going through replacing parts to try and get rid of the knocking noise but with no luck. Use to drive my up the wall and part of the reason i moved on from my old S. I'll wish you all the best if you give it another try!
have you tried the lower engine/dogbone mount?

I was more following the thread of someone who was trying to resolve this issue. I had it on my old S. I'm pretty sure he got to a point where he replaced everything he could think of and was just going to live with the noise. Similar to Fernando, haven't found anyone who has fixed this yet.

Oh! I thought coilovers were the only thing that worked with mag ride. What have you used to lower the car that hasn't effected the mag ride?
the mag ride works perfect, i'm running H&R lowering springs

yup, i've got an upgraded dogbone, plus dogbone insert plus engine and transmission mounts.
no luck yet.
it drives me crazy when i go over speed bumps or getting on or off ramps

Reactions: James__S3

With some kits I think they can integrate it like KW ddc ecu ....

But you can put the signal blockers from KW or eibach and run a normal coilover if you wanted ....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

I was more following the thread of someone who was trying to resolve this issue. I had it on my old S. I'm pretty sure he got to a point where he replaced everything he could think of and was just going to live with the noise. Similar to Fernando, haven't found anyone who has fixed this yet.
Install endlinks/droplinks on flat 4 post lift to make sure there's no tension?

Sometimes endlinks can make this clunk .... Some brands are known to make loud noises .... Knocking etc .... Even stock ones can make noises ....

Reactions: James__S3
Install endlinks/droplinks on flat 4 post lift to make sure there's no tension?

Sometimes endlinks can make this clunk .... Some brands are known to make loud noises .... Knocking etc .... Even stock ones can make noises ....

i've lowered mine and still makes that clunk :( the only thing i've not replaced is the shock itself, which i dont want to do because will be extremely expensive (the mag ride shock). the only way would be trying some friend's coilovers or something before trying to replace the shocks.

but, at this point i'm a bit over it, i will live with it

Ya .... 8P's make a lot of noise as there not as stiff as the 8V's ....

I'm used to most noises.

But the endlinks may be fine .... It just how they are attached can make them loud ....