Whoosh,pop,I think my turbo dead!

ScottTDI

Reaction score
I've been bluefinned for 2 months now and this has made the car so much
better to drive.
But this afternoon,pulling away from a junction, the turbo span up as normal
,then there was an almighty pop with smoke,then a sudden lose of power.
At first I thought one of the turbo hoses had blown off,but a quick look under the bonnet proved me wrong.
Now the exhaust is smoking and the turbo rattles.
Gonna have to contact superchips on monday to see if its down to bluefin
or just bad luck.

oh dear, i fear the worst for you :(

Wow, thats bad... I had a rattling sound from the engine today, but i get it when im not putting my foot on the gas, so i don't think it is the turbo...

well a turbo is just another part that can fail, I prefer atmosferic engines for that reason but I could not resist buying the new S3... I know I'm taking my chances...

Pedro

Only 66k miles.just checked it with Vagcom,no faults found,bit strange.
engine runs allright on idle,but smokes when throttle blipped.

All the turbo's I have ever killed have been a slow process. smoking from the oil seals when the engine is on overrun. I have never had a turbo rattle, they spin to fast (or not at all). Is here any signs of oil contamination in either the oil or water, you may have popped your head gasket, they can be very spectacular when they go.

The bad news is going to be that its down to you, audi won't touch it cos its been chipped, and superchips is going to say its one of those things. It's the risk or price you pay for having a chipped car. It would be very easy for the car to log maximum boost, which would show that its been running at higher boost, I am not sure if they do it, but is could be done.

Do you know a VAGCOM expert that can reset everything to make it look standard???

Fingers crossed its not too bad

Chris.

I don't think its the head gasket,water level still up,but oil level nearly off dipper (checked yesterday and it was at right level),so it must be the turbo burning oil. So it is probaly the seals that went pop, hence the smoking.

I'm afraid so,looks like I will be footing the bill for this one,unless its down to bluefin.

ScottTDI said:
I don't think its the head gasket,water level still up,but oil level nearly off dipper (checked yesterday and it was at right level),so it must be the turbo burning oil. So it is probaly the seals that went pop, hence the smoking.

My turbo oil seals failed over time, and the oil smoke in the exhaust got steadily worse, but from what you say I suppose it could be a catastrophic failure of the turbo oil seal.

Time to find a good turbo recon outlet ;-)

Chris.

Quick update,
spoke to superchips today,their warranty only lasts along as the manufactures,so no joy there.
Audi will give me 70% off ,as good will gesture,towards a new turbo (£997.92+vat),only if manufacturing fault is found,and I would have pay all other expences(Audi labour rates,Ouch!).
So now looking into my mechanic mate fitting remanufactured turbo(£500/600),
plus some beer tokens.

Can't you get a new turbo from e-bay? Get the part number...

Other suggestion, why not fitt a better turbo than the original and increase boost a little, then get Superchips to reprogram the ECU for the new turbo... Just a thought...

Pedro

P.S.: Check if original intercooler is enough, though...

No the goodwill is 70% off the £997.92. I would have to pay the remainder plus the v.a.t

so do you have to take the turbo off, then let them inspect it and the let you know if your worthy of the discount?

They have to make their own diagnosis,then remove turbo.Inspect it.Only if a manufacturing fault is found.Then Audi will give 70% off trade price.
I would have to pay for Labour and any extra's e.g gaskets/oil.

My turbo went on my pretty much brand new A3 170bhp TDI. only done 1200 miles in it! Engine started free revving with no throttle applied and a load of black smoke out the exhaust! Audi are telling me 2 weeks for the part to arrive!! Should i be wary of this fairly agressive 'blow-out' causing degridation of other engine parts? Looking at the prices being banded about, i'm glad it's still in warranty... yikes

Well the turbo been removed and the only way to describe it is,trashed.
The turbine wheel is mashed,and wobbles around in the housing,with about 25mm of movement.
New turbo sourced for £500+vat. Just have to order new manifold gaskets and clean out intercooler.
Should be on the the road by Tuesday.