Whole pile of errors :(

vfr800

Reaction score
Hi Peeps.

It's been a long time since I left a message but I've just had a whole stack of issues with the 'ol S3.

The other half was driving the car this afternoon and she was accelerating (not too hard apparently) and the engine warning light popped on and the car lost power.

I got home and started it and it's running as lumpy as fc*k.

I scanned with VCDS and got these errors. Now I haven't scanned it in a while and the Knock sensor has been intermittent for the last 30k miles. I will go check the plug and coil for cyl 3.

But does anyone have any ideas as to where I start sorting this mess?

7 Faults Found:
16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake)
P0011 - 35-10 - ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced) - Intermittent
18057 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1649 - 35-10 - Missing Message from ABS Controller - Intermittent
18058 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1650 - 35-10 - Missing Message from Instrument Cluster - Intermittent
16712 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61)
P0328 - 35-10 - Signal too High - Intermittent
17072 - ECM Power Relay Load Circuit
P0688 - 35-10 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-00 -
16687 - Cylinder 3
P0303 - 35-00 - Misfire Detected

This is from an S3 AMK, bog standard - no mapping.

Thanks, Liam

That's not good that the cars not running right Liam. I'm sure one of the guys be along to help you
Out. Hope you get it sorted
@<tuffty/> is your best bet as he knows the 8l inside out.

Not an expert by any means, but if you haven't already done it I would erase all the faults after saving them, then see which ones come back first job, then have a look on Ross tech website see if there's a fault that's giving you multiple codes

Reactions: Sandra
Hi

So I reset the codes and started the car and no errors came back.

However the car is 'louder' and is vibrating/rocking. I thought the dog bone might have snapped but it looks intact and the engine is not wildly rocking in any obvious way to make the car shake.

Is it possible that some exhaust component has failed close to the engine? Would this cause vibration? Would it have caused the car to lose power and go into limp mode?

I won't be able to have a look under the car until the weekend - but is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks, Liam

Are you sure it's not a coil pack if one is breaking down under load that would give vibration could also change the exhaust note

Reactions: Stuart B
The coil packs are all relatively new, not that that means one isn't dead, but I'm not getting any misfire readings from VCDS while the car is running.

I will D/C them all one at a time and see if there's any change. I have a spare set of coil packs so I can swap them all out too.

misfires don't always show up on VCDS or EML. don't some of these A3's have a ignition amplifier which is a common failure and only affects one cylinder (number 3 maybe?)