Who will insure my stage 1?

Roxman87

Reaction score
So got my MRC stage 1 tune done the other day now it’s time to sort the insurance out, anyone know any companies that’ll will insure modified cars?

So got my MRC stage 1 tune done the other day now it’s time to sort the insurance out, anyone know any companies that’ll will insure modified cars?
All of them. They'll just charge a bit more. Try Adrian flux.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

All of them. They'll just charge a bit more. Try Adrian flux.

Admiral. Declared my mods (exactly same as yours) and it added about £40 I think!

Reactions: Count Drunkula
Admiral. Declared my mods (exactly same as yours) and it added about £40 I think!
That's well decent. My first year they tried to double my premium just for a map. Think that was Debenhams.

Reactions: Roxman87
That's well decent. My first year they tried to double my premium just for a map. Think that was Debenhams.

I was gobsmacked. I will say that I was half way through my term. But even so, cheap as chips. They’ve been very good in the past, too.

Lol Admiral told me no mods so I had to change insurer, go figure!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

admiral told me all my options fitted at the factory were considered mods!

A plan will insure with all and every mod.

Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

Lol Admiral told me no mods so I had to change insurer, go figure!

TX.

That’s crazy. I’ve been with Admiral for years and they’ve always been ok.

MRC stage 1 as well, new policy with Admiral started today, no one else could get close including all those that advertise as mod friendly.

Reactions: Terminator x and D0C
Ran a quote on compare and turns out ford and elephant are the same price as what I’m paying now lol thought it would be a lot more then anticipated to be honest haha

Trying to insure an unmodified off the factory line is really a dice throw. With it being modified is on a another planet. I was quoted as high as 1400 or uninsurable for my London/Twickenham post code. Stuffed the details into gocomp... and found GA at 350. Not only post code lottery, also which month/day.. loaded onto the dice. Wonder, what will happen when I come to renew next year..

Mine has gone up every year^ which is nuts considering Year 1 the car was brand new!

TX.

^yes I did shop around.

Try compare the meerkats.
Declared all my mods.
Insured ok (Brightside) was £100 up on previous though :footy:

yeah... Nuts indeed,
hopefully not more than 10%. Wish I had a pay-rise like that every year.. dream on.

Reactions: RS3 S.
I pay £800 ish for Admiral multicar.

That’s for the TTRS with mods declared and a 2013 Golf 1.6 TDI Bluemotion DSG with a learner driver also on it.

Absolutely love the Golf...50-60mpg however you drive it, super smooth gearbox, comfy ride and good tech. A £7k bargain! I wanted a car I was happy leave anywhere, but it still looks really smart and is mint.

I tried every permutation on Comparethemarket. My post code was the cheapest out of all my work colleagues despite them living in “better” areas. I also added my boss on my policy which reduced the premium by about 10%! Finally, putting in my driving licence number also reduced it by about another 10%. It’s really worth playing around with it all while obviously keeping it correct and legal.

I am 30’s, max NCD, no points or accidents.

Reactions: RS03???
Forgot, added my Boss to my car to reduce the premium. (wife ):sneakiness:

Reactions: D0C
Ford will insure me for engine tune up to 25% extra power and an air filter for £200 more than normal, £850 can’t complain

I used AIB after my existing insurer wouldn’t insure me with the engine re-map! Aged 46, no points and full no claims!!!

AIB quoted cheaper than my existing quote so just cancelled and moved the policy.

I noticed this as well, it's actually cheaper to add the wife in, even though I'd never let her drive the car... By over £100 as well

Did they demand you have a tracker? They were keen to insure me, but when I got a call back they wouldn't touch my car without as it's over 50k
No didn’t require a tracker mate.

Go figure... never seem to get the same quote twice with most insurers :)
Yeah I know what you mean, I’ve never had a decent quote from Adrian Flux, yet others always recommend them for high performance cars!

same here, Adrian flux, Chris Knott did not come through for me either. Initially, was given a comparable quote, then when referred back into the brokers, it all fell apart and could not be honoured. May be having an ageless number plate spooks the underwriters. Its definitely a mystery.

AIB were great on our RS3 even with all mods declared.

LV still insure the Golf GTD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have 4 unmodded cars. All with Direct Line. cheapest by far, s3 is £400, rs3 is £575, 2 old cars are about £200 each. All full protected NCD, hire car, legal assistance. Noone else came close. They said they may consider mods but no more than 20% extra power. Issue is i would have to get the work done then they quote....no thanks. Anyway, the s3 and rs are still under warranty .

S3 is on an extended warranty - defo worth keep extending as cheaper if you let it lapse - only £400 a year with £0 excess, oem parts and labour, most things are covered (though there are a few exceptions)

Well AIB came up trumps again this year, although they had to drop their initial premium considerably to be competitive but hats off for keeping me as a customer!

Cheapest I got declaring stage 1 remap and gearbox tune was £497 with £500 excess with Admiral, AIB £595 with an excess protector included so I was happy to pay that along with their guarantee you can choose any repairer, not going to quibble over £100 on a £50k motor!

admiral told me all my options fitted at the factory were considered mods!
Mark’s and Spencer wanted to charge me double for adding security to my car, saying it was a mod. Absolute bellends. I cancelled my insurance and went elsewhere, also reported them to the insurance ombudsman. I also ensure they paid the right refund.

Mark’s and Spencer wanted to charge me double for adding security to my car, saying it was a mod. Absolute bellends. I cancelled my insurance and went elsewhere, also reported them to the insurance ombudsman. I also ensure they paid the right refund.
LOL!

I’ve heard it all now...insurance companies upping premiums because of adding a security feature... :sos:

LOL!

I’ve heard it all now...insurance companies upping premiums because of adding a security feature... :sos:
Yeh it was a month into a policy and I noticed they'd not added the tracker. Wasn't expecting the idiots to increase my policy. Went mad. Got a full refund though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Admiral for me, been with them the last few years. To add a stage 1 tune, intake and TCU tune it'll cost £26, including a £9.95 admin fee. You can even add the mods and update things online.

Surprised you've got a tune then days later are thinking about sorting insurance... Braver man than me, I'd have that ready to kick in the day I was getting the map!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Admiral for me, too. Super cheap with mods.

Reactions: garethdj
Admiral wouldn't touch me when I started listing stage 2 mods, I'm surprised to see so many with them. Ended up going with A-Plan on a recommendation, who offered a very competitive price.

Do Admiral actually cover the mods though? I was advised that whilst they will insure you with the mods declared they won’t actually pay out should your vehicle be written off for any mods on the car.

Not a big deal I guess if they’re just software updates but if you have cosmetic mods then that could be a problem?