Who was it that said I'd never get 50mpg from the 1.4COD?

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Back when I was discussing my impending move from diesel to petrol after 17 years, I said I'd expect to get 50mpg on long runs and I'm sure someone said I'd never do so in the real world :p

Well it seems I can. Last weekend I did Birmingham to Bournemouth and back, cruising between 70 & 75mph on the motorways. I also had horrendous stop/start jams on the M3 and M27 which added an hour to my journey yet, despite that, I averaged over 50mpg door to door. On the way back it was 52mpg.

Very happy with that. Of course the mpg drops significantly once you start getting up to the 80/90mph area but I just don't bother any more as you don't really get there any quicker in the end. I think 50mpg from a petrol is pretty damn good going and my old diesel wouldn't have managed much above 60 on the same journey.

My overall mpg since new is currently at 33mpg which, bearing in mind 95% of my journeys are short urban trips of only a few miles with loads of junctions and lights, is also pretty impressive. I was only averaging around 36/37mpg in the diesel.

Reactions: DH81 and Pulp84
Couldn't agree more! My 4 week old 1.4 COD now has 1500+ miles on the clock with an average of 45mpg.

Managed above 50mpg a few times on my 40 mile trip to work (half country roads, half M3). 14 miles of M3 journey is currently speed restricted to 50, though.

My previous car (118d Coupé) had a lifetime 50.4mpg and I am very pleased to be (almost) matching that with the COD.

Across 7,000 miles of varied driving my brim to brim figure is 40.41 (highest 44.1 and lowest 36.1) but I saw 51mpg for a journey from Dunstable to Leicester but that was, like rennzwerg's, 50mph restricted for quite a way. I'm very happy with the MPG of the 1.4COD engine and if I add the smoothness and quietness then I am even happier! My previous car was a Santa Fe diesel and that only averaged 32.56 over 44,000 miles and was NOISY!

Reactions: mister.c., Pulp84 and rennzwerg
The engine has far exceeded my expectations. I've done just under 7000 miles and I'm now regularly getting between 50 - 55 MPG on my 38 mile daily commute to and from work. It involves a mix of stop-start city driving and up to 60MPH on country roads with variable traffic and changing speed limits.

Even in Sport mode I'm getting between 40-45 MPG on the same commute. I'm spending a lot less on petrol, but having a lot of fun with the car.

Are all COD cars 150 or 125 bhp or a combo of both?
My wife's petrol mini does 46 mpg about the houses and upwards of 55 on a run.
Nearly bought the 1.4 but plumped for the 1.6 TDi.

The 1.4 is available as a non-COD version with 125PS or a COD version with 150PS. The COD version was initially 140PS when launched but upgraded to 150PS last year.

Reactions: Scottyg
I have the 140 COD and after 19k my average mpg is 46 on a brim test but had 55+ on longer runs, coming from the 2.0tdi 170 A3 I am more than happy economy and now looking at the A3 saloon with the same engine.

Watching this thread with interest.....

Currently thinking about either the E-tron or Golf GTE to replace my company car (which one I get depends on best deal).

Both have the 1.4 TSI (150 P.S) but not sure if COD or not. Mpg is boosted by battery running but there is very little detail about what mpg to expect once the battery is depleted.

Expecting it to be slight worse than what you guys are getting noting the extra weight of the battery. Either way the figures you guys are getting is excellent.

I have had the 1.4 tfsi sport 122bhp non cod for 4 months bought used now on 19k miles my average mpg is 45mpg best 53mpg on a long run to Scotland at 70 mph. Alot better than my a4 avant TDI which average was 38. This is a lot of short runs around town and some motorway. Very happy. Good engine for size

Back when I was discussing my impending move from diesel to petrol after 17 years, I said I'd expect to get 50mpg on long runs and I'm sure someone said I'd never do so in the real world :p

Well it seems I can. Last weekend I did Birmingham to Bournemouth and back, cruising between 70 & 75mph on the motorways. I also had horrendous stop/start jams on the M3 and M27 which added an hour to my journey yet, despite that, I averaged over 50mpg door to door. On the way back it was 52mpg.

Very happy with that. Of course the mpg drops significantly once you start getting up to the 80/90mph area but I just don't bother any more as you don't really get there any quicker in the end. I think 50mpg from a petrol is pretty damn good going and my old diesel wouldn't have managed much above 60 on the same journey.

My overall mpg since new is currently at 33mpg which, bearing in mind 95% of my journeys are short urban trips of only a few miles with loads of junctions and lights, is also pretty impressive. I was only averaging around 36/37mpg in the diesel.
In the old days this was true, but with diesel now cheaper then petrol it changes everything

It's rather funny to read this with the backdrop of what is happening in the divergence of petrol and diesel prices right now. :p If you want to reassure yourself that you made the right choice then I suppose this thread is a decent sounding board though.

I've got the DIS showing over 50mpg plenty of times including today.

However, the best I've managed from full tank is 47mpg.

On long journeys I can average 50 -52 MPG. This is with the AC on and keeping it at 70mph. I'm really impressed with this engine and now I'm 10,000 miles in it seems to be getting better!

On my regular round trip to our main office (400 miles), I regularly see 50mpg from my 1.4 CoD. Depends on the conditions, plus several parts of it are average speed check at 50mph, but still mightily impressive. I swear I love this car the more and more I use it. Not even hit 5000 miles yet!

Reactions: mister.c.
I parted ways with a 4.2V8 MRC stage 2 B7 RS4 when I picked up my 1.4COD Ultra and to be honest, I really am enjoying her. I think the engine doesn't miss a beat and can understand why the 1.4 seemed to be the choice over the 1.8. MPG is excellent and it has more than enough poke for anything I have put at it to date. I think it suffers a little lag in places, but that had to be expected! I cant tell you what MPG I can get out of it cause I am too busy enjoying her to as much as the road will let me. Cracking motor all round!

Congratulations. But it's not much fun is it?

:hubbahubba:

Reactions: gamegenie
I parted ways with a 4.2V8 MRC stage 2 B7 RS4 when I picked up my 1.4COD Ultra and to be honest, I really am enjoying her. I think the engine doesn't miss a beat and can understand why the 1.4 seemed to be the choice over the 1.8. MPG is excellent and it has more than enough poke for anything I have put at it to date. I think it suffers a little lag in places, but that had to be expected! I cant tell you what MPG I can get out of it cause I am too busy enjoying her to as much as the road will let me. Cracking motor all round!

Wow, that's quite a change from an RS4 and an absolute testament to the 1.4COD engine which I fully endorse. I know I sound like a stuck record but I am constantly amazed at the smoothness, quietness, economy and relative poke of this engine. And all within 109gm (although I think that's increased to 112 recently) - there isn't another 1.4, 150bhp engine which falls into that emissions band that I can see. I don't want to turn this thread into a yet another petrol versus diesel battle (which certain people seem to want to LOL) but let's keep it simply as the OP started out. What an engine!

Reactions: cuke2u and veeeight
Maybe it's my driving style but I get between 38 to 42mpg from the 1.4 COD. In fairness that's mostly town driving with some fast A roads with lots of traffic lights along the way (London:whip:)

Best I got was 44mpg driving down the M4 for 2 hours to Bristol. That was with air con off, doing about 75/80.

No idea how to bring that up any higher! Feels like I'd have to do 0-30mph in 10 seconds and never go above 50mph...

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations. But it's not much fun is it?

:hubbahubba:

Depends on the fun, what I really miss is the noise. I had a non-res milly with gutted pre-cats and that's the main miss. Yeah it was lethal when you opened here up, but it was wasted as a daily driver to and from work and after 5 years of ownership it was time to say goodbye(for many reason). Overtaking isnt is now more of a timed exercise and not a 'oh gap, go' approach. I had the option to purchase an S3, but the it would have been about €19k more than 1.4COD Ultra and couldn't justify it, but it was a cracking car.

Wow, that's quite a change from an RS4 and an absolute testament to the 1.4COD engine which I fully endorse. I know I sound like a stuck record but I am constantly amazed at the smoothness, quietness, economy and relative poke of this engine. And all within 109gm (although I think that's increased to 112 recently) - there isn't another 1.4, 150bhp engine which falls into that emissions band that I can see. I don't want to turn this thread into a yet another petrol versus diesel battle (which certain people seem to want to LOL) but let's keep it simply as the OP started out. What an engine!

I think i am averaging around the 40mpg and mostly just under that. At some stage I will try and beat the 50mpg :)

Maybe it's my driving style but I get between 38 to 42mpg from the 1.4 COD. In fairness that's mostly town driving with some fast A roads with lots of traffic lights along the way (London :whip:)

Best I got was 44mpg driving down the M4 for 2 hours to Bristol. That was with air con off, doing about 75/80.

No idea how to bring that up any higher! Feels like I'd have to do 0-30mph in 10 seconds and never go above 50mph...

What Drive Select setting do you use and how many miles have you done? Mine is mostly in Auto and I certainly use the acceleration so I'm surprised that you get less than 40mpg. Even driving around my local town it always betters 40mpg.

What Drive Select setting do you use and how many miles have you done? Mine is mostly in Auto and I certainly use the acceleration so I'm surprised that you get less than 40mpg. Even driving around my local town it always betters 40mpg.

I'm on Individual but engine is set to Auto and steering to Dynamic. Done about 3000 miles (don't need to drive much). It does seem to be on the low side but maybe I need to drive it more.

My fuel economy is very similar to the above. Average over 9,000 miles brim to brim of 42.30 with a worst tank of 38.25 and a best of 53.25 (on a long steady motorway cruise through Switzerland and Austria last month - would have been better had the Arlberg tunnel not been closed and the resultant queue of cars over the Arlberg pass)

Previous car was a Mk6 Golf GTD - looking back over fuel data for that car it would have been 2 per 3 mpg better in each case.

Maybe it's my driving style but I get between 38 to 42mpg from the 1.4 COD. In fairness that's mostly town driving with some fast A roads with lots of traffic lights along the way (London:whip:)

That's about what I get as well. But the clue is in your cruising at 75/80 (which is what I do as well). You don't actually have to slow down very much to get the mpg up. 65-70 and you will be amazed. And of course accelerating carefully.
I don't think aircon will make much difference on an engine of this power. Slow down by 5 miles an hour will make more difference.
I used to have a 1.8 Avensis that normally did just over 35mpg. I did a test once going up to the Lake District on the M6. I drove like an absolute grandad (which I am!!) and got nearly 50. But it drove me nuts, and I feel you can lose some concentration looking at the speedo all the time. Needless to say the mpg was down again on the way back.

That's about what I get as well. But the clue is in your cruising at 75/80 (which is what I do as well). You don't actually have to slow down very much to get the mpg up. 65-70 and you will be amazed. And of course accelerating carefully.
I don't think aircon will make much difference on an engine of this power. Slow down by 5 miles an hour will make more difference.
I used to have a 1.8 Avensis that normally did just over 35mpg. I did a test once going up to the Lake District on the M6. I drove like an absolute grandad (which I am!!) and got nearly 50. But it drove me nuts, and I feel you can lose some concentration looking at the speedo all the time. Needless to say the mpg was down again on the way back.

Good point - I did suspect 75/80 was the cause here. The clue for me was cruise control (non-adaptive), which I use all the time for long journeys. If I'm doing 80 (ahem...85 if I'm in a rush) and I switch off CC...the speed drop is immense, it's like it's hitting the brakes! But when it naturally slows down to 65/70 the rate of decrease is far lower which made me think of how they designed the aerodynamics etc.

Next time I get a chance I'll cruise at 70...it will be monotonous, and inevitably someone is doing 69 which causes mayhem and chaos. But I'll try for the sake of my mpg figures (and my wallet).

I've got 50mpg also, not driving particularly careful either.

I definitely have found a big difference between 65-70 and 75-80. Recent trip abroad saw over 53 mpg on a tankful at the lower speed but not much more than 42-43 mpg at the higher speed. At 65-70 the 2 cylinder mode kicks in frequently on flat or gentle downhills but only infrequently at the higher speed. I suspect this means that the COD engine has a more marked difference in economy between 65-70 and 75-80 than most cars.

The difference I see in the speeds is that if I drive on 'A' roads not exceeding 60mph and short shifting but keeping up with the pace of other vehicles, I can exceed 60mpg on average. When I hit the motoway and my speeds increase over 80mpg it goes down to an average of the mid 50's. I have always been a smooth driver though and always avoid heavy and rapid movements of the throttle...

The difference I see in the speeds is that if I drive on 'A' roads not exceeding 60mph and short shifting but keeping up with the pace of other vehicles, I can exceed 60mpg on average. When I hit the motoway and my speeds increase over 80mpg it goes down to an average of the mid 50's. I have always been a smooth driver though and always avoid heavy and rapid movements of the throttle...
Frankly - I'm amazed

We have a 1.2 A3 Sportback, in a recent run, with the Mrs, two kids and luggage we managed 47.9, mostly motorway but there was a fair but or urban. We were amazed with that. Most of our normal mileage is urban /A road, and even in that we noticed a significant increase on the previous car a 62 plate 1.3 Yaris SR.

We don't speed around, but I did look down at one stage and was doing 90, didn't realise as the ride is so much better than anything else we have ever had.

I've averaged 44.9 mpg over the first 40,000 miles/16months in my 1.4 COD S-tronic. This figure is a true distance/fuel used figure, not DIS which assures me that the average is 48.1 mpg. This includes a 42 mile daily commute on A roads across rural Dorset, motorway driving for work, a2000 holiday/road trip and virtually no urban stuff at all. Usually leave Drive select in Comfort mode.
I'm amazed to read some of the claimed mpg figures quoted here - I don't religiously hyper-mile but do try to drive half fuel effeciently. Previous two company cars were BMW 320d Touring (59 mpg average) and 520d Touring (52 mpg average).
With kids grown and gone felt it was time for something smaller and fell in love with look of 8v when I went into Audi showroom to look at a Q5! Tax break on petrol engine made me look at a petrol for the first time in 20 years and....what an engine! Love the silence and smoothness and cleverness and...the noise when giving it some in Dynamic! I know it's not as powerful or as quick as the last BMW but it feels much more so. For the oomph that the engine has got, I don't complain about the mpg at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ignition1, glospete and leosayer1
I've averaged 44.9 mpg over the first 40,000 miles/16months in my 1.4 COD S-tronic. This figure is a true distance/fuel used figure, not DIS which assures me that the average is 48.1 mpg. This includes a 42 mile daily commute on A roads across rural Dorset, motorway driving for work, a2000 holiday/road trip and virtually no urban stuff at all. Usually leave Drive select in Comfort mode.
I'm amazed to read some of the claimed mpg figures quoted here - I don't religiously hyper-mile but do try to drive half fuel effeciently. Previous two company cars were BMW 320d Touring (59 mpg average) and 520d Touring (52 mpg average).
With kids grown and gone felt it was time for something smaller and fell in love with look of 8v when I went into Audi showroom to look at a Q5! Tax break on petrol engine made me look at a petrol for the first time in 20 years and....what an engine! Love the silence and smoothness and cleverness and...the noise when giving it some in Dynamic! I know it's not as powerful or as quick as the last BMW but it feels much more so. For the oomph that the engine has got, I don't complain about the mpg at all.

The long-term computer is showing in DIS as 44mpg which is the best I've seen so far! Short-term is showing as 23mpg...though my journey just now was 5 minutes of traffic light-riddled 30mph roads so I'm not surprised at all.

Glad you like the car - I love mine despite the questionable fuel economy. Though as I don't drive far or often it doesn't matter too much for me. If I had to commute using my car, and it was a long distance, I'd be disappointed if I still get 44.

On the flip side, my figures might be low because I don't drive it much...who knows!

Your comment on engine sound. I like the engine sound between 1k to 5k RPM - sounds low and angry, but 6k RPM onwards don't you think it sounds rackety? Like the sound of a 17 year old flooring his Y-reg Fiesta...

In the old days this was true, but with diesel now cheaper then petrol it changes everything

It's rather funny to read this with the backdrop of what is happening in the divergence of petrol and diesel prices right now. :p If you want to reassure yourself that you made the right choice then I suppose this thread is a decent sounding board though.

And what neither of you obviously realise is that my car is a company one on which I have to pay P11D tax. The savings I make on that by virtue of the petrol more than outweigh the additional running cost compared to diesel, even with the change in current prices.

I never once said that petrol was cheaper to run than diesel, merely that I'm more than happy with the economy of my petrol engine compared to previous diesels. Even if the prices swing to the point where I'm slightly worse off running the petrol, the other advantages would still be worth it to me. Indeed, from next April the tax advantage will disappear and, at that point, and assuming the current prices prevail, it will end up costing me more to run than my previous diesel did but it'll still be a small enough difference that it's worth it to me.

Reactions: Jerodequin, rennzwerg, Ignition1 and 1 other person
And what neither of you obviously realise is that my car is a company one on which I have to pay P11D tax. The savings I make on that by virtue of the petrol more than outweigh the additional running cost compared to diesel, even with the change in current prices.

I never once said that petrol was cheaper to run than diesel, merely that I'm more than happy with the economy of my petrol engine compared to previous diesels. Even if the prices swing to the point where I'm slightly worse off running the petrol, the other advantages would still be worth it to me. Indeed, from next April the tax advantage will disappear and, at that point, and assuming the current prices prevail, it will end up costing me more to run than my previous diesel did but it'll still be a small enough difference that it's worth it to me.

Same boat as me then - mine is a company car, hence I was ultra careful with options as I end up getting hammered in tax.

Petrol was a must for me - the 1.4 COD is great because it has more power than the standard 1.4, the same power as a 2.0 TDI yet has 109 CO2 (114 now but for some reason I got in before they revised the emissions :D ). Pretty sure it doesn't do 109 CO2 since that figure was based on it going into 2-cylinder mode...and that literally happens once in a blue moon for me...but as long as HMRC think it does then I'm fine.

Of course BIK tax is going up every year so while we're paying 14%, I think it'll be something like 22% by 2018/2019.

What tax advantage are they removing? Or do you mean they're removing the diesel surcharge?

What tax advantage are they removing? Or do you mean they're removing the diesel surcharge?

Yes, it is the 3% surcharge for Diesel which will stop next year.

I am also a company car driver and the petrol engine made about 20 quid per month difference when I ordered (if I wanted the same spec). Not driving enough milage to get that back with Diesel fuel economy alone.

Of course that might change once they finish the roadwork on the M3 and I can drive a little faster than 50mph... ;-)
But that won't be before December 2016!

Watching this thread with interest.....

Currently thinking about either the E-tron or Golf GTE to replace my company car (which one I get depends on best deal).

Both have the 1.4 TSI (150 P.S) but not sure if COD or not. Mpg is boosted by battery running but there is very little detail about what mpg to expect once the battery is depleted.

Expecting it to be slight worse than what you guys are getting noting the extra weight of the battery. Either way the figures you guys are getting is excellent.
I've only just come across this thread, so in answer to @Pulp84's questions, no, the e-tron is not really COD, the ICE is either on or off.

If you check out my thread on the A3 e-tron forum, http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/wild-atlantic-way-by-e-tron.246864/ you'll see that I achieved an average mpg of over 55 (without using any charge points) on my trip around the west of Ireland in June and that was with three adults and a boot full of luggage.

Reactions: Pulp84
I've only just come across this thread, so in answer to @Pulp84's questions, no, the e-tron is not really COD, the ICE is either on or off.

If you check out my thread on the A3 e-tron forum, http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/wild-atlantic-way-by-e-tron.246864/ you'll see that I achieved an average mpg of over 55 (without using any charge points) on my trip around the west of Ireland in June and that was with three adults and a boot full of luggage.

Good going! I would've got an eTron but they didn't offer it in S-Line spec like they do in other European countries - which is a real shame because it ticked all the boxes and was jaw dropping cheap on my company's car scheme - could've kitted it with every option available and still be less than my current sparsely spec'd A3!

Now with 4k miles on the clock (only took 9 months) I can now do a normal A road drive and easily get 50mpg. Pretty impressed... still got my disappointments with the engine though. I won't have another cylinder on demand car.

I had an A1 with the same 1.4 CoD albeit only producing 140hp and moving a much lighter car. I sold it after 15 months and 14,000 miles...34mpg it averaged. Some very disciplined right foots in here!

I had an A1 with the same 1.4 CoD albeit only producing 140hp and moving a much lighter car. I sold it after 15 months and 14,000 miles...34mpg it averaged. Some very disciplined right foots in here!

Oh yeah, last time I checked the average was 37mpg in mine, but on an A road journey I can do 50mpg... only then though, overall it's 37!