Who recommended Citrus pre-wash?

batch

Reaction score
Gave the car a long-overdue wash today, it hasn't been done for weeks and I left it longer than I would normally to punish myself for smashing my mirror!
Decided to start with the ValetPro Citrus pre-wash I bought a few weeks back, mixed it up 1:6 in my snow foam bottle, gave the car a huge soaking in the stuff and then went to rinse (it didn't say to dwell and was running straight off).
Firstly what a waste of 20 minutes that was! Did absolutely nothing, so I went back to my Carbon Collective satsuma snow foam. To be fair that didn't do a huge amount either but at least there was a noticeable change.
After that I did the usual wash and rinse but was wincing all the way through, even though it came off ok.
Overall not impressed!

VP citrus works well for me, but I use a 5 litre pump sprayer, not applied as snow foam.

Gave the car a long-overdue wash today, it hasn't been done for weeks and I left it longer than I would normally to punish myself for smashing my mirror!
Decided to start with the ValetPro Citrus pre-wash I bought a few weeks back, mixed it up 1:6 in my snow foam bottle, gave the car a huge soaking in the stuff and then went to rinse (it didn't say to dwell and was running straight off).
Firstly what a waste of 20 minutes that was! Did absolutely nothing, so I went back to my Carbon Collective satsuma snow foam. To be fair that didn't do a huge amount either but at least there was a noticeable change.
After that I did the usual wash and rinse but was wincing all the way through, even though it came off ok.
Overall not impressed!

I normally apply it mixed in a hand sprayer (one of the fertiliser type 5ltr jobs) and have had reasonable results.

I found foam lance I didn't get the concentration right and like you it had absolutely no effect.

I'm still not sure it makes a big enough difference though to warrant the extra time it takes and the cost. I'm normally happy enough with a thorough pressure wash and then snow foam and pressure wash off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ollie2014 and batch
I'd have to agree with the op.
I usually use my snow foam lance but it's been playing up recently and I'd run out of snow foam, so I bought the valet pro citrus pre wash after seeing many recommends.
Diluted to 6:1 and applied with a pump, it smells lovely and creates a nice ambience around the car, but did little to remove any of the dirt on the car.
Overall not impressed and I think I'll be back on the snow foam!

Reactions: batch
I've used Citrus Pre Wash for a couple of years now, with a pressure washer, and have always found it to work well, granted I use a stronger ratio than recommended though.

JG

It just ran off, taking nothing with it - I was kinda led to expect miracles after some recent posts and definitely didn't have any!
Thanks @Brasso for confirming it's not just me or my technique...

It just ran off, taking nothing with it - I was kinda led to expect miracles after some recent posts and definitely didn't have any!
Thanks @Brasso for confirming it's not just me or my technique...

It's certainly not the stuff of miracles IMHO.

I use it through a pump sprayer on the door shuts, behind fuel cap, window rubbers, etc, leave for a min or so then aggitate it with a small brush - i find this works well but never used it on the whole car

Overall not impressed!
I used my Valet pro pre wash on Saturday and blamed my Karcher snow foamer for the poor performance so have ordered a Autobrite gun but reading this makes me think it is the Valet pro pre wash is not so clever.Each time I have used it as per instructions it is like p.ss and just falls off the car with no cling unlike some of the foam shots on here.The Autobrite gun comes with some magi foam so I will see if thats any better.

I use it through a pump sprayer on the door shuts, behind fuel cap, window rubbers, etc, leave for a min or so then aggitate it with a small brush - i find this works well but never used it on the whole car
I use waterless cleaner for the door shuts they come up great.

What is the Ph of this stuff? I struggle to understand how something 'citrus' can be Ph neutral.

Use it with a pump sprayer not foamer. You need to let it dwell also for good 5-10 minutes. I've always found it works well, obviously it needs a little grace in winter considering the states cars get into. Nothing will ever work miracles. All that said, I've recently tried BH Auto foam through a pump sprayer with the same method in a 20:1 ratio and it seems to be outperforming the VP. I have Gtechniq coating also so this will be helping. Snow foam not for me, far to messy and IMHO not necessary, but you just gotta find what works for you.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
@batch - It was me who recommended it
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/valetpro-citrus-pre-wash.242204/

I gave up on snow foaming when I found CPW TBH
I always use a pump sprayer on a dry car with a mixture of around 9:1 mixed with warm to hot water, leave for 5-10mins then PW off then shampoo
IMO it doesn't perform any worse than SF
I don't believe there is a true 'touchless' pre-wash. The closet I've seen is Koch Chemie Green Star Universal Cleaner
But I believe this isn't LSP friendly
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=388060

I've never used CPW thro' a snow foamer but TBH it isn't a snow foam. I've heard people on DW mixing it with SF for better results

if you don't want the CPW let me know & I'll have it off you )
This Detailing malarchy can be a bit subjective ...

PS I changed the thread title

Reactions: RS5 JON
A typical pressure washer will put out about 8lt of water by the time you have used a 1lt snowfoam lance...so if you've mixed CPW 6:1 in a lt bottle that is about 140ml of product.

If you are using 8lt of water then the dilution is 8000/140 = 57...

So you've diluted it to about 56:1....I'm not surprised it didn't do much...!

As others have said, use it in a pump sprayer! CPW isn't meant to be used with a lance.

Reactions: Pook, Bristle Hound and scotty76
@batch - It was me who recommended it
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/valetpro-citrus-pre-wash.242204/

I gave up on snow foaming when I found CPW TBH
I always use a pump sprayer on a dry car with a mixture of around 9:1 mixed with warm to hot water, leave for 5-10mins then PW off then shampoo
IMO it doesn't perform any worse than SF
I don't believe there is a true 'touchless' pre-wash. The closet I've seen is Koch Chemie Green Star Universal Cleaner
But I believe this isn't LSP friendly
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=388060

I've never used CPW thro' a snow foamer but TBH it isn't a snow foam. I've heard people on DW mixing it with SF for better results

if you don't want the CPW let me know & I'll have it off you )
This Detailing malarchy can be a bit subjective ...

PS I changed the thread title
I noticed BH, wasn't that offensive!
This wasn't a dig at you (I know it was you who recommended) but yes I did find it pretty ineffective, I might try using a trigger spray mix next time.

I have been using CPW after @Bristle Hound recommendation. I usually mix this up 7:1 with warm water depending on how dirty the car is. I use a pump sprayer for the CPW while the car is dry and it always works well for me. Its also great for the door shuts, grill and badges etc.

Reactions: RS5 JON, Pook and Bristle Hound
ValetPro Diluted 1:10 in a 1 litre pump spray bottle, leave 5-10 mins.
Hadn't been washed for 5 weeks and looked like ***

Attachments

• 1485634596905.jpg
    1485634596905.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 445
i use it in a pump spray too, after SF if the car is really dirty

As the VP citrus prewash is getting a bit of bad press above, I thought id share my results.
Been using it since switching from snow foam about 18 month ago now.
As above I apply it with a pump spray, mixed with warm water at about 1:8 (usually 1:6 if heavy soiled, as it was on this occasion)
Other than that car was washed with Car pro reset shampoo (car is coated with CQUK, or what's left of it after 2.5 years)
then given a quick spray with CP Hydro2lite, then dried.

IMG 3618

IMG 3625

IMG 3629

Reactions: martinivw, scotty76 and Bristle Hound
As the VP citrus prewash is getting a bit of bad press above, I thought id share my results.
Been using it since switching from snow foam about 18 month ago now.
As above I apply it with a pump spray, mixed with warm water at about 1:8 (usually 1:6 if heavy soiled, as it was on this occasion)
Other than that car was washed with Car pro reset shampoo (car is coated with CQUK, or what's left of it after 2.5 years)
then given a quick spray with CP Hydro2lite, then dried.

View attachment 116931

View attachment 116932

View attachment 116933
S4 looking fab @Keef :thumbs up:

Reactions: Keef
Gents, as I said to @Bristle Hound yesterday, I have to concede and take it all back. The car was CAKED in winter film, thought I'd try CPW before a snow foam and so used a trigger spray bottle, with a roughly 1:8 mix in warm water. Seriously impressed. Could see the grime running off the car, and when I finally rinsed there was the bare minimum of the most stubborn dirt/grime remaining. Also used it over my wheels after spraying Bilberry wheel cleaner on them and actually contactless-washed them! Very surprised.

Also worth mentioning that I've also eaten my words over Dodo Juice Future Armour, as yesterday I applied it before the final rinse rather than to a dry car and it looks fabulous!

Reactions: Bristle Hound, RS5 JON, Keef and 2 others
I love CPW especially in summer as it helps lift those bugsplats.

I've tried it with a snow foam lance and if anything it makes the snow foam less effective. Pressure spray and leave whilst your filling your buckets and then spray off.

The smell is also great!

Reactions: Bristle Hound and batch
Gents, as I said to @Bristle Hound yesterday, I have to concede and take it all back. The car was CAKED in winter film, thought I'd try CPW before a snow foam and so used a trigger spray bottle, with a roughly 1:8 mix in warm water. Seriously impressed. Could see the grime running off the car, and when I finally rinsed there was the bare minimum of the most stubborn dirt/grime remaining. Also used it over my wheels after spraying Bilberry wheel cleaner on them and actually contactless-washed them! Very surprised.

Also worth mentioning that I've also eaten my words over Dodo Juice Future Armour, as yesterday I applied it before the final rinse rather than to a dry car and it looks fabulous!

Good to hear results have improved with spray bottle. I'll have to give it another try.

@batch - Pleased you like it :thumbs up:

Put this on my car? You've got to be joking.................

Attachments

• ec1-citrus-pre-wash.pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 326
Put this on my car? You've got to be joking.................
@steeve - Don't see anything in there ^ that would stop me using it TBH

I think you would be surprised if you did some investigation on snow foams and their contents

I'm taking by your negative comments that you don't pre-wash ?

I use snow foam........

pH Neutral Snow Foam is our best selling product and for good reason. It is one of the only safe pre-wash solutions on the market. ValetPRO's pH Neutral Snow Foam is used by countless enthusiasts as a pre-cleaning agent prior to shampooing because it's a neutral, safe and effective cleaner."

I wouldn't recommend drinking it.....

I'm yet to find out if citrus pre wash is pH neutral........

Last edited:
I use snow foam........

pH Neutral Snow Foam is our best selling product and for good reason. It is one of the only safe pre-wash solutions on the market. ValetPRO's pH Neutral Snow Foam is used by countless enthusiasts as a pre-cleaning agent prior to shampooing because it's a neutral, safe and effective cleaner."

I wouldn't recommend drinking it.....
@steeve - Fair comment & I do agree with you.
I have 10litres of unused VP pH Neutral SF but prefer VP CPW

There's still nothing in the VP Safety Data Sheet that puts me off using CPW & altho' it smells nice enough to drink I wouldn't do it lol

'Tis a subjective matter car Detailing

PS Wouldn't recommend drinking ANY make of SF either ! lol

Reactions: scotty76 and Keef
I have the data, CPW has a pH of 8.5
It is classed as wax safe "so will not completely strip your vehicle of its wax finish". That's at their recommended dilutions, as I notice some of you use a higher concentration. But it will strip some wax each time you use it.
If you're concerned about your wax finish Valet Pro's recommendation is to use their pH Neutral Snow Foam.

It's your choice to use it but currently I use an expensive wax (glaze) and spend a huge amount of time applying it so It wouldn't be my choice.