who played in the snow

Quattro colin

Reaction score
First time I got to try my tdi Quattro in the snow and it did really well Up hills down hills drifting and I got stuck once on a really steep dead end road wit no run up trying to turn around dug me Sen out n again the Quattro did well and got home safe n sound seen a mk1 s3 out doing same as me

Did anyone else go out ?

ive been playing as well in the tdi quattro TBH first audi with the quattro system on . drift well but traction still aint that great ,managed a steep hill , with alot of wheel spin . and braked at car park and nearly went through wall lol . but no damage and only one able to get off street at moment as its a hill . sod towing anyone though , aint ruining my car or clutch .

Winter tyres and quattro FTW . You would be able to stop and steer as well.

I have good tyres and s3 winter hasnt been a problem so far, been driving round like its normal also had some fun

Reactions: Smarter carper and RS3dan
It's been a dew inches deep here, the girlfriends 306HDI really struggled to get off our drive which has a small incline. I had a few hours playing in it and I now need a new arch liner and rear under tray as they have snapped off :(

Reactions: Moffat and THQuattro
Even though I've got manflu, S3 and winter tyres mean I have no choice but to go out and let people stare at me as I drive by lol

Reactions: jaysonD, batch, Moffat and 1 other person
Winter Tyres, I hope you live somewhere where it snows properly and for long periods. My pilot super sports have been pretty good so far.

No they even work great when its not snowing tbh

Winter tyres will help, but you can certainly still slide on ice no matter what rubber you've got fitted. Also technically, the 8P doesn't actually have Quattro, but a haldex system more like 4Motion. I'm waiting impatiently for the snow to make it over to this coast, seems to all be down South and over to the West so far.

Same up North, not a flake in sight.
I made a trip to the recycling point today though, where it was said the untreated roads were treacherous. Didn't feel a bit of it to me. Under normal driving conditions, I couldn't get the car to misbehave at all. I had to really push to get the tail to step out.
This with fairly fresh Goodyear F1's on a half inch of freezing mush.

Happy with that, no matter what 4WD system is handlng it.

:)

Here in Ilkley we had some good snow on the tops! Took the S3 out with the winter tyres on and got fantastic traction! No slip whatsoever unless I was being an utter willy. Winter tyres are just better at this time of year regardless of snow or not though. 2 degrees in the damp is night and day difference!

I took my mothers vw up home to queensbury this aft while the wife followed in the S3.
My god you dont realise how good the quattro is on winters in the snow until you drive something else to compare.
The up should be half decent, lightweight, front wheel drive on skinny tyres but the S3 is in another league

It threatened snow here on Saturday but alas not, just got damn cold. A peak out the curtains again today no joy. How does dsg work in the snow, do you have to use it in manual or does it sort itself out?

I find it works fine in D most of the time as you really dont want too many revs. I do use the paddles though now and again for a little engine braking downhill if needed

there's plenty of snow over here. just too cold. winter tyres are on s3 and i'm of to have fun in the afternoon..

Reactions: -Ju-
Meeeeeeeeeeee :D

Reactions: AudiA3JJ, MartayMcFly, jaysonD and 5 others
Brilliant...
I have a huge grin on watching that.
Well done.
:D

Thanks! Although I have to admit... It was the younger brother driving, I was awful at it haha.

For some reason when uploaded the video it ruined the quality, so I'll try again and put another link up if anyone else is interested :) easy way to test that your Quattro system is working ;-)

Last edited:

Reactions: Mario8P, Lodhiz, Audiabc7 and 1 other person
Thanks!

Motion 5 on Mac - apparently it has some 'motion tracking' software which can be used to move the rectangle blur as the car moves - but because the snow was white and so was the front plate it didn't really work.

I had to go through frame by frame, move the rectangle blur over the plate.. Then moving it out of shot when I didn't need it :-( took about an hour in total.

Been out having some fun with my S3 now when the snow finally arrived up here in sweden:) Really impressed with the traction and grip I get with the quattro combined with my Nokian hakkapeliitta R2 nordic winter tires, really have to push the car to get it drifting when in 2nd gear..

Empty parking lot, snow and quattro = fun!
DSC 4094 1

Reactions: RS3dan
Day one of the snow
Really impressed with the Haldex Mr precise out there had great fun in the snow even without snow tyres

Not a bit here , just icy , can't wait to go and play if we actually get any .

20141229 020223

It was mostly ice and frozen snow when i got out :D

Reactions: grchmason
Nothing in South East here yet, but a couple of years ago (Jan '13) during very bad snow, I had to make a trip cross-country from Beckenham to Sussex. There's a lovely fast bit of road (when weather allows) running out of Warlingham, along the top of the North Downs and down to Oxted. Being so high and exposed it was absolutely blanketed! Was great fun driving past all the SUVs crawling along at 15mph, whilst I did the normal speed limit safely and stable! That on the standard Bridgestone Potenzas!

Had about 5-6 inches here in Sheffield and the S3's been quality even with summers on, not sure wether to bother with winters to be honest?!

Reactions: Smarter carper
Have not got any snow in kent :(
Here's a video of my golf year before last

Just came from Eastern Europe holiday, -15 to -20 Celsius and 1 metre deep snow falls were challenging to say the least ! My cheap b5 quattro did brilliantly on 18" budget snow tyres and i did not have a problem once ! Great fun but very demanding on car and driver at the same time !

Any one tried the sailun iceblazers before?

Why do people hate on the new Quattro system saying its not a Quattro its haldex? Still awd whats the difference?

Why do people hate on the new Quattro system saying its not a Quattro its haldex? Still awd whats the difference?

It's quite a long winded explanation, so you're best having a look on here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro_(four-wheel-drive_system)

Basically, quattro, is a mechanically based system using a Torsen differential, Haldex is an aftermarket system which is controlled electronically. In some ways, it is more efficient in putting down the power where you need it.
Purists will say a Haldex derived AWD system is not really quattro but, my car has a quattro badge on the tailgate and that's good enough for me.
;)

Reactions: batch

Basically, quattro, is a mechanically based system using a Torsen differential, Haldex is an aftermarket system which is controlled electronically. In some ways, it is more efficient in putting down the power where you need it.
Purists will say a Haldex derived AWD system is not really quattro but, my car has a quattro badge on the tailgate and that's good enough for me.
;)

Same for me . Thats why you can turn of the system by pulling the fuse where I guess the 'true quattro' you cant do that

;)
Yep mine says Quattro on glove box which to me means it's a Quattro, if it isn't then I'll be going to Audi and asking why they are selling S3's as Quattro if they actually aren't!

Reactions: Cmw9 and Jake 61
quattro, with the lower case 'q' is a trademark of Audi, (although it is an Italian word meaning four).
There are five different versions of quattro, and I think most A/S3 owners are happy with what they have. ;)
Back on topic, I had my one on a very icy road and a very muddy road today and I can only say that the car behaved impeccably and stopped brilliantly on everything I threw at it.
(Well, one of my mates asked me what it was like, so it was easier to just show him).
:D

Reactions: A32

;)
I was interested to know what this haldex system was so read through this a while back. I was supprised it means most of the time the car is fwd but I guess this explains how the fuel efficiency is better, unlike old 4wd cars.

Reactions: Jake 61