Whiteline front ARB questions

audi-tk

Reaction score
Need some help lads. I'm going for a new look on my car now. So Ive decided to lower the car alot more to give it the stance I'm after with 12mm spacers on the rear.

Where can I buy the ARB from new or second hand? And to lower it I'll need adjustable drop links too won't I? After some help so would appreciate it thanks

you can use a TT one too. there only £60ish quid from Audi new some have found adjustable drop links are needed to make drop links longer but not always. i think the whiteline is same shape as TT one but is heavier weight. may be wrong though

Still deciding the best way to lower the car eh TK? Well I'm getting a TT ARB fitted on to my A3 tomorrow, so will let you know how I get on. It works the same as a whiteline ARB as it goes under the driveshaft. I got this idea from Matt82 who did it and it fitted fine so fingers crossed should work ok.

I bought it for £75 from TPS trade price. I think non-trade price is £90ish.

If you do decide to go for a whiteline then I'm pretty dure DPM have some in stock.

bhavin, how much thread do you have showing on you JOMS before you ran into driveshaft issues? just trying to work out haow much lower to go, want to take adaptors out the rear too you see

also, wouldn't bother looking for a TT arb on ebay...seems everyone else has the same idea as haven't seen on for months!

Rather than specifically looking for an ARB, look for folk breaking TT's.

I picked up a set of 312mm carriers for 50quid by messaging everyone on ebay that was breaking a TT and asking the question.

Whiteline ARBs for the 1.8T are great. Have had one personally, eliminated all the rubbing issues, and improved handling to boot. Excellent bit of kit.

i got the eibach ones very much the same as the whiteline arbs similar price too

bhavin, how much thread do you have showing on you JOMS before you ran into driveshaft issues? just trying to work out haow much lower to go, want to take adaptors out the rear too you see

also, wouldn't bother looking for a TT arb on ebay...seems everyone else has the same idea as haven't seen on for months!

At the front there was 15mm of thread left wben I fitted the coilies and I had issues immediately. Hence chopping the OEM ARB. The carriers in the rear are still there on mine, just wound down all the way.

Yeah I couldn't find any TT ARBs on fleabay so just bought it from the dealer. Hope that helps.

Thanks for reply. Was on awesome gti and see a cheap ste ARB that eliminates rubbing. Bhavin yeh still deciding as I'm going for new alloys and need the stance as I'm very unhappy with the car. This has been covered in a thread before but search brings up other stuff. Do I just get the ARB and use the same bolts that hold it in? I'll get adjustable droplinks anyway :)

Bhavins car is mint and need the stance like his but with 215/35/18 tyres rears spaced out 12mm with maybe camber shims and front all the way down to male it look mean. Should get away with a 5mm spacer on the front go clear adjuster on 8j alloy?

Thanks for reply. Was on awesome gti and see a cheap ste ARB that eliminates rubbing. Bhavin yeh still deciding as I'm going for new alloys and need the stance as I'm very unhappy with the car. This has been covered in a thread before but search brings up other stuff. Do I just get the ARB and use the same bolts that hold it in? I'll get adjustable droplinks anyway :)

my arb came with new fixings and bushes but u can get new ones from audi or whoever u buy the tt arb from if ur getting that one.

would the a3 arb bolts work with the tt arb? hope the tt arb actualy works lol. wanna do it properly dont wann remove it :(

Are you guys using a TT arb going under the shaft, and connecting it to the a3 wishbones using standard drop links? Doesn't the TT shaft usually mount with droplinks upwards onto the strut? I know my TT 225 quattro setup mounts to the struts using droplinks about 12" long!

Are you guys using a TT arb going under the shaft, and connecting it to the a3 wishbones using standard drop links? Doesn't the TT shaft usually mount with droplinks upwards onto the strut? I know my TT 225 quattro setup mounts to the struts using droplinks about 12" long!

You're right dude, thats how the S3 is set up as well. MASSIVE drop links.

as far as i am aware...don't quote me... you can whip old one out and put TT one in. reuse the drop links and all. but sometimes they are too short. i think the TT arb is 19mm, but dunno what normal one is. I am writting about A3 also, not S3.

Can now confirm this works with standard droplinks. Just had it done today.

Yes, its under the driveshaft, and using standard droplinks bolted to the wishbones it does work. There will be a bit if play in the droplinks where you may need to add washers or spacer bushes. I stayed and did it with my mechanic as he was a little confused having never seen it done.

Go ahead and get it done!

Can now confirm this works with standard droplinks. Just had it done today.

Yes, its under the driveshaft, and using standard droplinks bolted to the wishbones it does work. There will be a bit if play in the droplinks where you may need to add washers or spacer bushes. I stayed and did it with my mechanic as he was a little confused having never seen it done.

Go ahead and get it done!

Cool, learn something new every day :)

Seen that done before, I knew it works, just wast sure if other people knew about it!

Good idea chaps

Didn't get any pictures during the process but here's a quick one showing proof of the result.

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

Looking good. So what exactly did u use mate just a mk1 tt ARB and standard droplinks? Did u use same a3 ARB bushes/bolts? This is a must do!!! Thanks for replies

Mk1 TT ARB Part no: 1JO 411 305AE costing £67+VAT

You can use the same bushes and clips as you already have as the bar thicknesses are the same as well as the standard droplinks.

Hope this finally sorts your issues out.

Bhavin my friend you are the man... Finally I can make my car look lower and give it the right stance!!!! :D . Shall I sod getting the adjustable droplinks then? How's your car feel now?

Definitely a difference in sharpness of turn in, feels more responsive and less soft. That could be a combination of the ARB and also the wishbone bush being replaced as my old one was knackered. Oh yeah and also as I've been driving around without an ARB for the last 5 months...

You could just fit the standard droplinks for now, and you feel you're not happy with the fitting get the adjustable links and fit them later.

I'm better of buying new bushes to I guess . How much were wishbone bushes, I need a left top mount kit as mine is klunking would you recommend doing both? Sorry for the questions. Hopefully should get away with 5mm spacers on from as the "new" wheels will have 215/35/18 on 8j alloys et35. Gonna drop it to the lowest it can go with tyre sitting in the arch :) your a legend ;)

I bought an entire wishbone for £24 from GSF as its easier than replacing the bush alone.

The ARB was £67 excluding VAT, so around £79 including VAT from Audi. Any mk1 quattro TT ARB should fit.

Which wheels have you decided on?

oh it has to be a tt QUATTRO damn lol. ive pmed about 6people for normal mk1 tts :( im looking at the r8 v10 alloys with 215 35 18 tyres . 12mm spacers on rear with MAYBE 1 degree camber. so i need the car the lowest it can go!!!!

nice one bhavin it is a big improvement on handling. especially when giving it some welly

mate i have 18x8J on mine with 50mm drop. I have et35 with 5mm spacers and the front is very close to the strut. maybe 5mm or less. does fit though...just. 10mm spacers on rear. could do with being a bit wider mind. long term i will have 10mm front and 20mm rear

Yeah I went for a good drive this morning round some windy country roads and there's a HUGE improvement. Couldn't recommend this enough for lowered cars.

Yeah, I have 10mm spacers up front and 20mm spacers at the rears. I'm gonna be dropping the car some more later this week and will get pics up of how it sits, although my wheels are 17x8J ET35, but with the spacers they're effectively ET25 up front ans ET15 at the rears.

yeh make sure u uplad the new lowered pics bhavin need to see them. cheers. hopefully get my car sorted in 2 months time. get all the bits ready just need to shift these alloys.

steve bain. ive got no spacers on it now but its lowered about 1mm from the adjuster u reckon a 5mm spacer will clear the adjuster on front to have it completly lowered :)