White smoke

Muppet010109

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for some advice.

I've noticed over last couple weeks, Whilst the weather has been freezing, that in a morning when I start my car I'm gettin alot of white, dirty smelling, smoke from the exhaust.

I've got an a3 sportback 2.0 diesel on a 57 plate.

Now everywhere I've read mentions head gasket/cracked block and that I would be losing coolant and the car would overheat.... Now.... I have been losing coolant for some time but after having it looked at I've always been told its just a leak (more than likely from the coolant reservoise itself) and the car has never overheated or lost any performance.

So I'm baffled as to why its smelling and pimping white smoke all of a sudden...

Could it just be the weather is so cold that the engine isn't burning the fuel entirely upon start up.. Or its got left over fuel from previous use? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks everyone

Probably cold weather and condensation.

Reactions: zygutis
Would that coz the smell though? It's a very strong dirty fuel smell

I’m getting experiencing exactly the same issues as you, dirty exhaust, white smoke, slight coolant leak.

Does your white smoke disappear after 5 min?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m getting experiencing exactly the same issues as you, dirty exhaust, white smoke, slight coolant leak.

Does your white smoke disappear after 5 min?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, as soon as the car gets slightly warmed up it goes.

If it was a lotus head it would do it all the time as the crack opens up once the engine is warm.

Mine (although it's a petrol 2.0) has been doing it for 2 winters now. In hot weather everything is fine but as soon as the outdoor temp reaches ~0C it smells like unburnt fuel at cold start. I also get some black/grey smoke initially. I was told by an Audi SA that it could be due to a partially clogged cat (I had a lot of misfires before I had an engine carbon cleanup).

Nothing else indicate that something is wrong with the car so I pretty much just ignore it now... (While keeping a close eye on everything).

Its normal...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk