White smoke a4 2.0 CR

G4m8l3r

Reaction score
Hi all. Just a quick question....I recently had to rush down a private road.... got to 80mph fairly quick....due to the design of the road I stopped at the end then drove back onto a public road at 30mph. There was zero smoke whilst doing this nor has my car ever smoked however when I stopped then set off to 30mph I noticed a small amount of white smoke behind me, it did clear in seconds and didn't do it again. Everything seems fine I just want to know what it could have been....

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

For a modern CR diesel in good nick, I would guess it is just steam from moisture in the exhaust being pushed out by the heat produced.

Reactions: G4m8l3r
I'd hope so. It's not done it since and everything else seems fine. Kept an eye on the temp and checked fluids under the bonet it all seems fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you search the internet you'll see all sorts of "horror suggestions" about unburnt diesel and head gaskets failing etc. But if this was isolated event after a burst of speed and the car is in good nick it is, in my opinion, just likely to be steam. Moisture build up in exhaust systems is extremely common/normal and is the main reason that the latter 50% of exhaust systems eventually rust. :smile new:

Reactions: G4m8l3r
Particularly this time of year.

If you're paranoid about it, get a friend to follow you and put your foot down and ask him if he saw any white smoke.

As above. Get a mate to follow behind you. To a local pub, have a few and walk home. Don't worry about it. Grey and blue maybe.

Reactions: xpoweruk