White exhaust smoke? 2007 A4 B7 2.0T

jem.qu44tro

Reaction score
I'm totally stumped and wondering if anybody has a better idea than I do. I believe I have blown a turbo seal but I cant quite tell. The car first started heavy white smoke only under hard acceleration onto the highway. 4th gear pulling with a large white cloud. Pulled over and turned off the car. Figured blown head just assuming the worst at the time. Then drove the car about 20 minutes back to my house after letting it idle when I pulled off. Checked the oil level, coolant everything checked out. Basically had to drive the car 2 hours back to school since I had class the following morning. Took frequent breaks checking the oil and coolant with some on hand. The car did not overheat the whole drive back, and I did my best to stay out of boost and got minimal smoking only when under heavy load (in boost) . Jump to now, I am basically doing very short commutes in the car about 5 minutes each way, staying in vacuum not going into boost is my best bet as I can. I think by now id be able to rule out a headgasket being blown just from driving the car so far for so long. Basically in low boost it will not smoke, and my last test tonight makes me point to a turbo seal, pulled very hard in 2nd gear and it under boosted at about 7lbs Whiteish smoke with a blue tint. Is there anything else this could be? PCV? Burnt Valves? Piston Rings? Injectors?
Since 82k I have replaced, timing belt, water pump, Rollers, Thermostat, PCV Valve. The car drove fine for about 700 miles before this started happening. Any suggestion is appreciated:icon thumright:

To add, I have done a compression test: cylinder, dry/wet
#1: 164/174 #2: 155/200 #3: 155/180 #4 156/170

Last edited:
white smoke is in most cases water getting into the combustion cycle.
if it has a blue colour to it then its an oil leak getting into the combustion cycle .
check you oil for any sort of frothing or milky looking film.

Worth a look in the intercooler’s to see if they have a lot oil/liquid in them? If your still running a PCV and they haven’t been drained they could have a fair amount of liquid in them, which under full boost could be being inhaled into the combustion chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
if it has a blue colour to it then its an oil leak getting into the combustion cycle .
No frothy looking oil, dipstick/oil cap. Thanks for the reply

Worth a look in the intercooler’s to see if they have a lot oil/liquid in them? If your still running a PCV and they haven’t been drained they could have a fair amount of liquid in them, which under full boost could be being inhaled into the combustion chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pulling off the downpipe tomorrow morning, checking wastegate play, as well as shaft play. Will check intercoolers while I am in there. Thanks for the reply

Ended up checking the turbo and such. Shaft had very minimal play and was in better condition than I thought. Oil wasn't frothy but did smell like petrol . Drained 4.5qts from oil pan. Each intercooler/piping gave me about half a qt. Did come to find the breather hose on the turbo leaking around the check valve seal you could call it going to be replaced.
Boosts just fine now and smoking is gone for now. Not sure whether or not its turbo seal or valve cover/pcv issue now. Would like to go with a catch can setup similar to yours, but also thinking of selling the car for something more commuter friendly.