Whirring noise from behind climate control?

mi21

Reaction score
I've just replaced my old 06 3dr A3 with a 2011 S Line and I've noticed that with the ignition on I get this whirring noise from behind the climate control dash. I thought it was the head unit but its definitely not. This noise is constant, even while driving. Although its not loud enough to hear when the engines on. It sounds like a motor but I can't quite pin point where it is or why it needs to be constantly running even when climate control is off?

Video here

Even with the key out of the ignition you intermittently here this same whirring noise like something is trying to spin up, but then it stops and might come back 5 or so minutes later.

Anyone dealt with this? Its annoying me so much I might sell a kidney and visit an Audi dealer.

Sounds like it could be the fan for the interior temperature sensor.
To the right of the ac button, check to make sure there isn't any dust blocking that grill.

Sounds like it could be the fan for the interior temperature sensor.
To the right of the ac button, check to make sure there isn't any dust blocking that grill.
Ah thank you! You must be right. I've taken a hoover to it but no joy. Might buy some compressed air...

Just for anyone that finds this down the line, its definitely the climate control fan, managed to pick one up from eBay for £35 and spent about half an hour on it today. Noise has gone!

Reactions: xaudi
thanks for update. did you manage to find the cause or fix the old one? have a same problem

thanks for update. did you manage to find the cause or fix the old one? have a same problem
I couldn't fix the existing fan so just replaced it. Part was £35 from eBay and basically just slots right in

Reactions: xaudi

have a read of that thread, its in russian so translate the page using google translate.

the car is an a5, but the symptoms are the same, and the fan used on the a5 is the exact same part as on the a3's climate unit.
part number is 8P0959101, so might be worth trying to fix, but the price of the part is £36 from audi so if it cant be fixed, then its not worth replacing if you can get a whole climate unit for £35

They fix it without replacing. thanks samisnake for the link.