WHINING COMING FROM FRONT END

simes1

Reaction score
thought i had a wheel bearing going on front drivers side, left car at audi bridgend (who have been excellent in the past) they got in touch and reckon that there's nothing mechanically wrong with the car but the front tyres have gone grainy on the surface causing this whining road noise, tyres havn't got uneven wear and look good to me!!! anyone else have this problem or are they just fobbing me off???

The missus???!

Sounds a bit dubious to me, yes some tyres can rumble a bit, but not whine.

Is it Quattro?

Hope it's not gearbox related. Sounds can travel in cars so what you hear may not be the source of issue.

I used to get a "whine" when your select "aux" on the radio, have nothing plugged in and just turn the volume up. then whilst your driving the whine pitch changes with revs. almost sounds like a super charger ;)

But hey, probably completely irrelevant!!

I used to get a "whine" when your select "aux" on the radio, have nothing plugged in and just turn the volume up. then whilst your driving the whine pitch changes with revs. almost sounds like a super charger ;)

But hey, probably completely irrelevant!!

A bad earth somewhere!

Normally blame the frogs for bad electrics. Couldn't fault my Old S3 apart from that and 3 horns in 9 months :-S

Seals on my steering pump went on my 8L and it was just a subtle whine when on full-lock that over night turned into a loud groany whine when at anything other than dead centre. Does it get louder/more whiny the more you turn the wheel?

I reckon it is either wheel bearings, gearbox or cambelt tensioner. Unfortunately on my last car it was the gearbox.