Which would win? remapped 335d or remapped S3? hmmm?

I would never slate the 335d as it is an awesome car (no doubt many people will think I am crazy going for the S3 after a 335d). My wife has the same engine (remapped of course) in her X5 3.0sd and that surprises many people!!

Regarding the interiors I personally think the quality of BMW and Audi are on a par, I certainly liked my 335's.

I had the 335d for nearly 3 years and after owning 2 x S3's in the past I fancied trying the new one with Stronic for a change of car style.

Fair comment Nick and you have a balanced opinion.

I just drive home from the office for lunch in the S3 then back in the 335d and will say again it is so hard to compare such different cars but on the same stretch of road the 335d just has the edge, to be honest both are ridiculously fast for road use, good fun though :)

Fair comment Nick and you have a balanced opinion.

I just drive home from the office for lunch in the S3 then back in the 335d and will say again it is so hard to compare such different cars but on the same stretch of road the 335d just has the edge, to be honest both are ridiculously fast for road use, good fun though :)

LOL, its alright for some aint it!

LOL, its alright for some aint it!

I do feel lucky to have the use of both my current favourite cars, I actually bought the 335D for me after the last S3 but missed having a manual once I started attending the odd track day so handed it over to the Mrs, now her company opt out allowance covers the majority of the payments so all worked out well in the end, I initially bought a cheaper car that I could 'track' (a used BMW 130i) which subsequently got traded in for the new S3 - the Mrs hasn't twigged that I have got my own way and ended up with 2 'main' cars :)

Gents we're trying to reduce the use of swear words on ASN. Whilst I know many may swear all the time in their private life (me included) this is a public forum. If you want to use the words please at least use *s in the middle.

S**t is pretty much the bottom level of unaccepted words by the way.

I thank you :hi:

TBH Dandle I mean the whole comparison in general is pointless. I'm not a fan of 0-60 (or 40) comparisons as it means ****** all in the real world and just smacks of boy racer. The fact the the OP is talking about "remapped" variants is even more strange...remapped to what level? (rhetorical).

But, you are right that the 135 is a more appropriate comparison.

I just wish some of the Audi lovers on this site would take their rose tinted ones of once and a while and try and be objective. It would be interesting to know how many of the BMW haters have actually owned one of the E90 series, or any other BMW for that matter.

I love cars, end of. (Well, maybe not Kias).

Apologies Reekie, it seems i didnt explain myself well enough. I meant from 40mph onwards. I also meant stage 1 remapped as I know it is possible to get my 2.0 TDI upto 330 bhp with enough tuning. Anything is possible with enough cash!
btw who wants to buy a car that looks like a shoe? The only reason stated these two cars is that they are both powerful (in different ways) and i love the look of them both. Hence the reason why im weighing up which would be quicker?
I also agree with all the comments on the interior of the beamer. A little bit clinical however it does have a slight touch of style as well.

Chill out ppl - im just looking for ppls honest opinion as I know some of you have some wicked S3s and know a fair bit about cars!

Crikey some more BM bashing no there's a surprise on ASN ?!?

Back to the original question, I have both cars, my wife now uses the 335d coupe on a daily basis and I use it whenever it takes my fancy or if attending a BMW track day, both cars are remapped with slight handling mods.

The 335 was actually remapped by Evolve who are a cracking company offering decent products and a well reputed RR, the S3 runs GIAC software etc.

It's a very difficult question to answer without timing gear as the cars produce there power in different ways, the 335d is an absolute animal with amazing shove but is also very well refined so it can be decieving until you glance at the speedo. On wet roads the S3 would be the weapon of chioce but thats not to say there is any issue whatsoever with the E92's handling, it is safe and very predictable and the balance and steering feel excellent, on a dry day I don't believe you would be getting past the 335d and I'd hasten to add the 335d driver would be having more fun. I'm not knocking the S3 they are just very different cars if I was not fortunate enough to have both cars in the family and had to choose only one I'm pretty confident I'd choose the 335d as it has so much presence and just looks and feels like a car from the class above, sorry if offended but just my opinion.

350bhp, over 500lb of torque continually available from 1700rpm to 5,000, 39 mpg - 0-60 5.3 secs, great figures in comparison to the S3 the only real negative for me was the lack of a manual gearbox which I greatly prefer.

On the subject of interiors how many of you guys that have expressed a negative opinion have actually spent any length of time ina 3 series coupe with lthr etc ? The Audi has the edge for tactile materials but the layout in the coupe if spot on, quality not an issue and no rattles, squeaks or problems in 12 months/20,000 miles to date.

Open your eyes Guys there are loads of good offerings from other brands.

Perfect Spin - Much appreciated!

One other thing that may be worth mentioning for this comparison is the 335 achieves it high power/performance from a simple remap so is not obviously modded which helps with Dealer visits etc, for our S3's to reach 350bhp we are looking at Exhausts, induction kits and uprated fuel pumps so a little more obvious.

I can see how you came to compare the 2 cars as the 335d was a 'progressive' move for me at the time as I was looking at what other similar powered cars could be had in 3 door format with good levels of kit, I actually went out to look for a 335 petrol but was so impressed by the D it got the decision, I only took one out because I was offered a solo test drive and expected to say no thanks, in hindsight I have no regrets bar one - I prefer manual gearbox's.

Why not start another thread asking the same question about a 335 Petrol coupe :)

Gents I have asked nicely, can you go back and edit your posts to add some *s.

:angrymod:

I just don't like BMW's interiors and the orange dials - Sorry I thought I'd be as off topic as comparing a hot hatch petrol to a coupe diesel

Some intersting comparisons but shouldn't we also look at the cost issue and surely the 335d is a lot more expensive than an S3? So surely thst makes the S3 a better bet all round.

Why not start another thread asking the same question about a 335 Petrol coupe :)

IMO - no point cos the 335 petrol coupe is a better performer.
My cousin sneakily purchased 335i petrol coupe a few weeks after I took delivery of my S3. I'd always liked the 335 coupe but stayed with another Audi. At the time, I even considered trading the S3 for 335 coupe but I didnt want an ear bashing from my Dad for wasting £££'s!! So I stayed with the S3. :blush:
Anyway I been out plenty of times with my cousin in the 335 and driven it myself on various occasions. We've had a play against each other and he leaves me each and every time. There's simply no comparison!!

The S3 is more predictable in the wet and is a very good all round competent car (taking into account price, quality of finish, performance etc...) but the 335i is still quicker and accelerates relentlessly.

I'd expect a stage 2 remap with exhaust may fare better against the 335i