Which tyres...

Palacemads3

Reaction score
So here we go, another tyre thread...hopefully you'll bear with me.

I need 4 new tyres on my s3 saloon, so going to be quite expensive. I simple can't decide what I'm going to put on though. I'm torn between a few...

1). Do I go with the most expensive, £200 for the brand new Michelin PS4 s. Supposed to be amazing but doing 6000 miles a year approx, does it justify the cost.

2) Do I go slightly cheaper with something like the Goodyear f1 asymmetric or possibly the Bridgestone potenza, both of which I understand to be decent.

3) Do I go with the cheaper option of a set of Avon tyres. I've had avons before and been pretty satisfied.

The one thing I do know is I don't want another set of continentals!! Financially the cheapest option would be the best, however when driving my kids around I value the safety aspect of good tyres. I don't particularly go thrashing the car around every corner, however, like most of us I quite like testing the handling of Quattro every now and again

Your opinions and thoughts are greatly valued!

Thanks.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Its all personal... but..

I can whole heartly recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY3 tyres. They are a good balance between performance, durability and all weather grip. ( Not just summer fun ) They have been great in the recent poor weather. Excellent grip in the rain and snowy conditions. Rim protection however is minimal.

P Zero are great but dont have a long life in them with many only getting 8-12k from a tyre. Soft rubber. ( - I also have these tyres )

Muchelins are fantastic, however the rubber on the better tyres is soft again so I have always found them prone to nails and in need of constant puncture repairs. Not had that with any other performance tyre.

I was in a similar predicament to you last year and although I did not hate the Continentals I fancied a change. I have not regretted the Eagle F1's. If you can get them circa £85 a corner ( or less ) they are a bargain for the durabiliy and drivability and of course safety for the famiky offered.

Avoid bargain / cheap quality tyres... Full stop.

Check out the sticky threads for lots of views on tyres/ rim protection etc.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...how-to-guides-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/page-3

Jungle

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Thanks. I've not seen the good years for anything less than £160. What tyre size did you get?

I ynderstand the new Michelin ps4s are supposed to get lots more mileage from them.

Any more opinions are appreciated!

Eagle f1's assy 2's always used them and always been happy with them

Reactions: pburv
Thanks. I've not seen the good years for anything less than £160. What tyre size did you get?

I ynderstand the new Michelin ps4s are supposed to get lots more mileage from them.

Any more opinions are appreciated!

**Typical price quoted is for standard S3 size wheels - ie 18's

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Different car but I had Michelin PS on my old Skoda VRS. They wore well compared to Continentals CS (grippy but wore quickly) but gave quite a harsh ride. I also had Pirelli PZ and Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric which I had no particular complaint about. The Continentals seemed to get constant punctures but they did have reasonable rim protection. Having read a "Which?" report on tyres some years ago I would not use budget tyres. I have been in some situations where I would have had a collision if the stopping distance had been only a few feet more. Being a collector of Alpine passes and having driven over the Alps many, many times, tyres are not something I would ever try to economise on.

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv
Whatever get the best tyres you can afford, you dont have to do lots of miles to justify the best, 100 yards is enough.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
The Avon tyres will be one of the quietest tyres you'll ever put on your car. Like driving over carpet.
I'm not a tyre snob and have no issue putting mid-range tyres on my cars. The best were Nankang's, now on their 4th incarnation I believe. I hated the Goodyear AS F1s. Noisy and gave a harsh ride, they were on 20s right enough.
I'm running Pirelli Cinturato P7s. They're what came with the car and I'm happy with them. However, when time comes to change I'd be happy to put the Nankangs or the Avons back on my car.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and davc
You say no more Continentals, but if you can find them in your size, the SportContact 6 are out of this world!

And will wear down quicker than your rapid wrist action rubber at school .

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Scottyg
I've had most of the brands mentioned but my favourite is always the Michelins.
Good all round performers and they last too.
Continentals are good but as mentioned they are softer compound and wear out really quickly.
I've inherited P Zeros on my current car in Nov but when they go it'll be back to Michelins more than likely.
I must say though that my previous car came with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT and when I collected it in the handover bay I was disappointed when I saw them on a performance car but they turned out to be not bad at all.

Another vote here for the goodyear eagle asym F1 tyres .... ****** brilliant !!!!!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Cheers for the responses. Think I may end up with goodyears at £160 per tyre. Although if I can convince myself to spend the £200 per tyre for the new michelins!

The Avon tyres will be one of the quietest tyres you'll ever put on your car. Like driving over carpet.
I'm not a tyre snob and have no issue putting mid-range tyres on my cars. The best were Nankang's, now on their 4th incarnation I believe. I hated the Goodyear AS F1s. Noisy and gave a harsh ride, they were on 20s right enough.
I'm running Pirelli Cinturato P7s. They're what came with the car and I'm happy with them. However, when time comes to change I'd be happy to put the Nankangs or the Avons back on my car.
Haven't tried Nankangs but I've got Avon WV7 winters on at the moment and they were brilliant in the snow and ice last week.

This is rapidly turning into another Michelin/Goodyear fanboy thread:blahblah1:

Reactions: Scottyg, batch and Rob2k68
Haven't tried Nankangs but I've got Avon WV7 winters on at the moment and they were brilliant in the snow and ice last week.

This is rapidly turning into another Michelin/Goodyear fanboy thread:blahblah1:

I did 37k on a set of Nankangs. Sold the car and they still had 4mm on them. For a low end mid range/top end budget they are damn good tyres. But yes, the Avon's were the quietest tyres I've ever had on any car. Goodyears being the loudest!

Reactions: Rob2k68 and davc
Dunlop make a number of Sport Maxx, I have a set of the Sport Maxx SP XL. The handling, quietness and wet weather is good (no snow or ice around here) will probably last about 15,000kms. In Oz, much cheaper then the Contisports. Just don't get them if you do a track day.

Goodyears - been using them for last 10 years or so, wear OK ( I don't do that many miles so wear is immaterial to me. Grip is all I'm interested in ).

My S3 came on Contis ,- they're black and round is all I can say about them.
In the wet the B6 Quattro, on Goodyears , grips much better than the S3, as did the B5 1.8TQS that the S3 replaced.

Ok , what treadwear number are they BTW ?
No idea. I'm not saying you're wrong about the Contis, it's just whenever anyone says anything positive about their performance in you pop with a comment about quick wear. Personally I care more about their performance than their longevity, although I appreciate that some of the Michelins have comparable performance and last longer. I had PS3s on my last S3 and loved them but Michelins were over a hundred pounds a set more than the CSC6s which are quite frankly epic.

Its all personal... but..

I can whole heartly recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY3 tyres. They are a good balance between performance, durability and all weather grip. ( Not just summer fun ) They have been great in the recent poor weather. Excellent grip in the rain and snowy conditions. Rim protection however is minimal.

Interesting, as I've found the rim protection much better compared to the previous generation ASY2.

I must say though that my previous car came with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT and when I collected it in the handover bay I was disappointed when I saw them on a performance car but they turned out to be not bad at all.

My wife has these on her car and I'm going to swap them out as soon as I can. I've found them lethal in the wet. She's only got a 2009 1.4i Ibiza and I had the back end try swap round on me a few times and I wasn't even driving at a fair rate. Went and checked the pressures etc and all fine. Maybe a dodgy batch, but not happy with them at all.

OP: I've had Goodyear ASY2 & 3 for the past 4 years on my Focus ST and they've been brilliant. One of the best tyres I've had, great value and they come up in top 3 on most tyre tests I've read. The road noise is abit more than others which I agree on. Wet weather performance is very good, which is what I base my choices on.

My wife has these on her car and I'm going to swap them out as soon as I can. I've found them lethal in the wet. She's only got a 2009 1.4i Ibiza and I had the back end try swap round on me a few times and I wasn't even driving at a fair rate. Went and checked the pressures etc and all fine. Maybe a dodgy batch, but not happy with them at all.

Interesting to hear as I didn't hang about in the S5 in varied conditions / windy back roads and didn't really have any issues.
Although I do prefer Michelin as mentioned.
One of the company cars i had got a new set of tyres a few years back (90's) and was all over the place / understeering on roundabouts and i sussed out that it was because they'd put the directional tread pattern on the wrong direction.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Mark_86
Interesting to hear as I didn't hang about in the S5 in varied conditions / windy back roads and didn't really have any issues.
Although I do prefer Michelin as mentioned.
One of the company cars i had got a new set of tyres a few years back (90's) and was all over the place / understeering on roundabouts and i sussed out that it was because they'd put the directional tread pattern on the wrong direction.

I haven't looked at that, but will do when I get home. Good shout.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
Dunlop make a number of Sport Maxx, I have a set of the Sport Maxx SP XL. The handling, quietness and wet weather is good (no snow or ice around here) will probably last about 15,000kms. In Oz, much cheaper then the Contisports. Just don't get them if you do a track day.
I've had Dunlop Sport MAXX RT tyres on my last two A3s (2.0TDI 170 and 184). Both have come from the factory with them on and I have been more than happy with them. Good handling in wet and dry and very quiet as. I hope the new A3 I have on order comes with the same.

I've had Dunlop Sport MAXX RT tyres on my last two A3s (2.0TDI 170 and 184). Both have come from the factory with them on and I have been more than happy with them. Good handling in wet and dry and very quiet as. I hope the new A3 I have on order comes with the same.
I've just had an email from the dealer to confirm that my new A3 has Dunlop Sport MAXX RT tyres fitted. Well pleased.

Not had Michelin since my Renault Clio Trophy but these could well be my next tyre :-

IMG 2576

IMG 2577

IMG 2578

IMG 2579

Reactions: Djs3saloon, Boydie, Audi Bairn and 2 others
So are Michelin the preferred S3 tyre?

Getting some 19" wheels 235/35 tyres and debating what to get. Not really worried about price but want a good performance tyre which will last and go well in mainly wet conditions (Ireland).

I had Michelin PS2 on my Cayman S and thought they were great.

No massive objection to any of the tyres I've had in the past Bridgestone potenzas on my old S3 as well as Eagle F1s. Had Toyo Proxies on my Scirocco R etc.....

Where's the cheapest place for the 19''s PS4'S
£191 fitted on blackcirckes today. Tyre prices have increased around 20% in last 5months and continue rise weekly, so don't hang around too long.

Just remember PS4 is the new PS3.
PS4S is the new cup2/supersport replacement.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Boydie
Got mine through tyreshopper with 5% discount code ts5, fulfilled/fitted by national tyres @ £127 per tyre (including optional lifetime guarantee).

Def would recommend the new +/plus vs the original for better rim protection. They're quieter than the contis that came with the car and way more grip/less understeer. Very pleased in this variable weather we seem to be experiencing ATM!

Reactions: Boydie