Which tyres for the S3 ?

Iggu

Reaction score
Anyone got any tips / experiences on different tyres for the S3 ? Mine came with Conti SportContact 2s which I murdered in just 8,700 miles from new (3 track days saw them off). They were brilliant.

Have just replaced with Michelin Pilots - harder wearing, more expensive but I don't think they're as good. Car is heavier to turn in fast corners and a bit juddery on long motorway stints.

Wish I'd stuck with the Contis now - unless anyone has any better tips ? I've got the standard 18" S3 wheels.

I have Pirelli PZero Rosso 245/40/18s on my car and find them very good. Plenty of grip and little road noise. I had the same in 17s on my last A3 and thought they were good too.

No doubt others will have their own opinions.

Anyone got any tips / experiences on different tyres for the S3 ? Mine came with Conti SportContact 2s which I murdered in just 8,700 miles from new (3 track days saw them off). They were brilliant.

Have just replaced with Michelin Pilots - harder wearing, more expensive but I don't think they're as good. Car is heavier to turn in fast corners and a bit juddery on long motorway stints.

Wish I'd stuck with the Contis now - unless anyone has any better tips ? I've got the standard 18" S3 wheels.

8,700 miles inc 3 track days is decent going IMHO ( one of them was at the Ring as well )

Very long story , but i have the Conti sportcontact 3 on the front and the Michelin pilots on the rear.

I have a bit of road noise on bad tarmac , but i'm lowerd , i quite like the grippy pilots on the rear and the contact 3 on the front though!

Have you tride putting a bit more air in the rears? i'm on 39 psi front 36 psi rear , it's firm with being lowerd , but it reacts fast for turn in.

p

I agree - I've no problem with 8,000 miles out of a set of tyres during the summer track season. The Ring trip alone was about 1,800.

I tend to bang in about 40 psi in all 4 for track use but go down to 33 rear and 36 front for normal everyday use. I'll try putting extra in and see if it improves the turn in with these Michelins. They're definitely not as direct as the Contis.

At the Ring again last week in June and Oulton Park in July so I may replace again before the winter - won't be going back to Michelins. Contis or maybe P Zeros next time. I think Michelins are designed for a greater lifespan - more value for money etc. But that's not really why you buy an S3 is it ?

There's a few tyre threads running, have a search around. I managed 14K out of my original contis, just swopped them for Good Year Eagle Asymmetric. So far it's a nice tyre, but I've only done 200 miles on them....

I have vrederstein ultrac 225/40/18

Very good reports and can buy for sensible money

Check Rainham Tyres Essex £93.45 each fitted inc VAT

Rgds Tom

I tend to bang in about 40 psi in all 4 for track use but go down to 33 rear and 36 front for normal everyday use. I'll try putting extra in and see if it improves the turn in with these Michelins. They're definitely not as direct as the Contis.

Should we not be on 39 front , 33 rear for eveyday light load use anyway?

p

Should we not be on 39 front , 33 rear for eveyday light load use anyway?

You're right. Whereabouts in Manchester are you - I think we have exactly the same car ! Anywhere near Sale ?

p

I have vrederstein ultrac 225/40/18

Very good reports and can buy for sensible money

Check Rainham Tyres Essex £93.45 each fitted inc VAT

Rgds Tom

evo Magazine did a review on tyres not long ago and raved about these - but my local independent garage struggled to source them and Kwik Fit looked at me like I was an alien when I mentioned them. I didn't search any harder than that but they didn't seem too readily available. Maybe because people can't pronounce it !

You're right. Whereabouts in Manchester are you - I think we have exactly the same car ! Anywhere near Sale ?

I'm in Stockport mate , do ypu want to come to out RR day at Prosport in Stockport on the 28th June?

p

Well up for that. Send me the details and I'll see you there - you can check out the notchiness in my car's gearshift while we're there. Only joined the site a couple of weeks ago so not well up on the meets etc. Thanks for the tip.

EVO Magazine 2007 Tyre Test
They scored each tyre in 5 categories - wet handling, aqua planing, braking, dry handling and a road test to judge comfort. They also back up the raw time data with subjective reviews on how the tyres felt which counted for 40% of the score.
The results:
1) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
2) Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
3) Continental Contisport Contact 3
4) Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
5) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
6) Pirelli PZero Nero
7) Kumho Ecsta STP KU31
8) Dunlop Sport Maxx
9) Yokohama S.Drive

The 2007 Autocar tyre test
The tyres on test were (in overall results order):
1) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
2) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
3) Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
4) Continental Contisport Contact 3
5) Pirelli PZero Nero / Rosso

all copied from here
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2007-evo-tyre-test.htm

^^^^^So taking the best from each test the Goodyears are out in front , then it's a toss up between the Conti's and the Mich pilots , as the Conti's are cheaper than the pilots , then second place should go to them.

p

That test is very well... a shame they test the best tires of some brands against normal tires from other... for instance they should have put the Yokos Advan Sport to compete against Pilot or Bridgestone Potenzas... just an example...

I am going for the Advan Sport for sure...

Pedro

Michelin Exalto's on mine, they feel sweet, nice and grippy too

Review:

Drawing inspiration from WRC (World Rally Championship) tyre designs, the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 tyre was created for consumers who demand crisp and responsive handling in both wet and dry conditions. A descendent of the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, the Pilot Exalto PE2 tyre features LMA (Life Maximized Adherence) tread compounding. This technology helps sustain handling and grip throughout the tyre's life.

Good to find this thread here....

My S3 is fitted with the standard Bridgestone RE050s and what I've found seems to fit well with that Evo review.

Good dry grip,but pretty poor on wet surfaces with little warning that they're about to slip.

Looks like the Goodyear F1 as soon as these have had a bit of wear.

Good to find this thread here....

My S3 is fitted with the standard Bridgestone RE050s and what I've found seems to fit well with that Evo review.

Good dry grip,but pretty poor on wet surfaces with little warning that they're about to slip.

Looks like the Goodyear F1 as soon as these have had a bit of wear.

Having 2 Goodyear Eagles fitted today by a mobile tyre mechanic.
£260 all in.

Ended up with these as he couldnt get a hold of the oem Bridgestones, which were £250.

Paul

Having 2 Goodyear Eagles fitted today by a mobile tyre mechanic.
£260 all in.

Ended up with these as he couldnt get a hold of the oem Bridgestones, which were £250.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Please let me know how you get on with them.

Im thinking Eagle F1's or Uniroyal Rainsports. Totally different but I like the idea of the Rainsports as they are probably the best wet tyre and it does rain alot up here.

Hi Paul,

Please let me know how you get on with them.

No prob mate.

Just had them done, will try and bed them in on the way home:).

Reckon £260 all in isnt a bad price neither. Especialy when they come tp you and and fit them at work.

Cheers
Paul

No prob mate.

Just had them done, will try and bed them in on the way home:).

Reckon £260 all in isnt a bad price neither. Especialy when they come tp you and and fit them at work.

Cheers
Paul

Thanks Paul.....that's a good price all in.

Does come to nearly £600 for 4 though!.....given the wear rate on these horrid Bridgestones and how much I distrust them in the wet,it may be coming soon.

Kumhos came 7th ??

I thought they were budget tyres (well..thats what i thought when i put them on my Golf).

They were only £100 a tyre fitted for 235.35.19 :S

I've just fitted some 19's on my car, they were oli's old MTM's and they have come with goodyear assymetrics and they are a very good tyre, I've used ps2's and cont2's and the goodyears are as good if not better.

Kumhos came 7th ??

I thought they were budget tyres (well..thats what i thought when i put them on my Golf).

They were only £100 a tyre fitted for 235.35.19 :S

The Kumhos are very good value even if not as grippy as the best.
My son has a set of those on his MG and they last well and have pretty adequate grip for the price.

I've just fitted some 19's on my car, they were oli's old MTM's and they have come with goodyear assymetrics and they are a very good tyre, I've used ps2's and cont2's and the goodyears are as good if not better.

Nice car and nice wheels.....those look excellent in black,and obviously another vote for the Goodyears.

Thanks.

I have had Avon ZZ3 on my A4 QTS for - well 3 lots (245x40x18)
Good grip in the wet and dry
Low road noise
Wear well
Nice looking tread pattern
Oh and reasonable price

Vrederstein are available at Pem Tryes Wigan (think my next choice for my A3 2.0 TDI S-line Quattro)

evo Magazine did a review on tyres not long ago and raved about these - but my local independent garage struggled to source them and Kwik Fit looked at me like I was an alien when I mentioned them. I didn't search any harder than that but they didn't seem too readily available. Maybe because people can't pronounce it !

Pem Tyres in Wigan

Which Report - Good write ups

I have had Avon ZZ3 on my A4 QTS for - well 3 lots (245x40x18)
Good grip in the wet and dry
Low road noise
Wear well
Nice looking tread pattern
Oh and reasonable price
:iagree: Had these on my CTR, very good alround, lasted well and excellent VFM.

Blackcircles have just put Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics on offer for £118 each fitted inc. VAT!

In fact they have Yokos starting at £88 for 18".

Worth a look.

http://www.blackcircles.com/

They use local mobile fitters, so you can order and pay online and the fitter turns up at work/home and fits them. Dead easy.

Paul

the goodyears are superb, and competitively priced :)

Thats a good price, just had 2 fitted on the rear this morning paid £120 each fitted and balanced. Now running them all round, the rear conti's were shot (16k) been running GY up front for the last 5k so looking forward to the extra grip once the new rears are scrubbed in.

Mark

i fitted Continental Contisport Contact 3 because i notice alot of the audi rs4 had them on and very happy the grip is great in wet and handling is better worth every penny . i get them from a warehouse tyre place where i live ( for dealers but they dont have problem letting me get some lol ) continental sport 2 are about same not anything in it for £400 for set of 4 is good price

I now run Yoko Parada spec 2's all round and love um!!!!

What are those like in the wet?

Previous Yokos I've had were great on dry roads and a bit slippery in the wet.