1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveSAS

SteveSAS Active Member

Hi guys, just been looking at KO4 Turbo's for sale. Are they all the same or different for different engines ie amk, bam? I'm seeing a code on them of 5304 101 5078 stamped on them but the price varies widely from a few hundred to a few thousand. So whats the deal?

Cheers

2. andrew_wright

andrew_wright Member

You could buy a cheap ass China eBay ko4 and stick a genuine cartridge in it. Cost would be somewhere near £400 for all the parts and assemble yourself or pay someone to swap the cartridge and check balance for maybe £100 or just replace your cartridge in your ko4 you have now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

4. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

why do you want a new turbo? is yours kaput - or down on power or the hotside cracked etc.

as the others have highlighted Badger5 sells CHRA for a K04 - pretty sure you will have some form of an issue if you get a fake Chinese - although from Alibaba they are about $120 for a K04 - so maybe worth a port exercise and a risk?

5. andrew_wright

andrew_wright Member

6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

7. andrew_wright

andrew_wright Member

It's not really a full on hybrid, more a fancy OEM version, but yes I guess the ECU couldn't cope with it? I think it would have no issue running this as it's only standard size but mapping would help give it's full potential if any.

8. <tuffty/>

I am sure the ECU would have headroom on a standard map but I would imagine it would potentially get a little antsy about it all the same

Considering a std K04 on most 'mapped' scenarios is close to maxing the std injectors out and how hardware changes on mapped engines can massively affect the now narrower tolerance window of the ECU's protection params I would argue that nothing like this is simply bolt on...

<tuffty/>

hydro s3 likes this.
  9. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

Is there more to a hybrid than a CHRA?

10. andrew_wright

andrew_wright Member

Except making a bigger wheel fit, no. Most if not all will buy a cheap eBay ko3/4 and bore that out to fit whatever they need, should see some of the stupid **** they do in America. Housing must last a day at best.

11. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

yes

12. SteveSAS

SteveSAS Active Member

13. <tuffty/>

Just need to watch the wastegate port on copy turbos... they are generally too small and need porting to prevent over boosting problems (which forces the ECU into limp mode or worse...)

The wastegate arm bush in the hotsides have a tendency to go loose and causes the wastegate to drop into the hotside...

<tuffty/>

14. <tuffty/>

...oh and AMK/BAM need a turbo with an EGT probe boss (the one you linked appears to have this)... APY don't have an EGT probe so the hotsides are a little different

<tuffty/>