Which starter motor?

roman3000

Reaction score
Hi guys
I want to replace my starter motor and can't figure out which one i need since there are 2 available. I had a look at it and couldn't see a part numper on it. I took some pictures for my mate who's getting it for me at trade price, but he can't tell. I can't really take it off to give to him.
Anyone know which one this is via the pictures?
Audi A3 2.0 TDI BKD 2005
0mZWz
CyaxG.jpg

n6tGB.jpg

Audi A3 | STARTER MOTOR | 2.0 TDI & Quattro (S1672)
12 volt, 2.0kw | 10 Tooth | Diesel | 2003-ON

Audi A3 | Starter Motor | 2.0 TDI & Quattro (S1674)
12 volt, 2.0kw | 10/11 Tooth | Diesel | 2003-Present

Its one of them but i dont know which :think:

Last edited:
You people do make your lives hard for yourselves, just ring audi parts, quote your vin & they will tell you the latest you need, as its a bkd then it will be an L or LX for dsg & remove the starter to see the part number which is probably an H.

Last edited:
I did call them and he said there's 2 a bosch and a valeo one and couldn't tell me which one i have in my car. I had a feel of it and could feel any stickers or numbers stamped on it. So you think there's no way of telling without taking it off?

Guys a numpty then, but to be sure pop the starter out & check, its imprinted into the metal casing.

Ah just seen yours is a manual, so its a p, px or nx, but as said remove old one to be sure.

Last edited:
Ok will have to find some time tommorow to have a look, just thought someone here might know via the pictures.
How many nuts are there, i assume there's one on top (in the picture) and one below, the one below seams a bit odd to get to?

And how did you find out my car's a manual?:applaus:

Can see the gearbox mechanics on the top for the gear selector mate, dsg doesnt have that. :)

2 hex headed bolts, cant remember size but airbox out job, spanner to disconnect the starter wire, disconnect the battery 1st.

Haha, nothing gets past you :detective2:
I'll update this thread when i have a look just to help other people out if their in a similar situation.
Thanks for your help.