Which pads?

slepy

Extremely smart and handsome person.
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've just got a Meguiar's G220 machine polisher for my birthday :)
It says that I need to use 7" pads for it. When I look at detailing websites there 6.5" most of them.
Only meguiar's one are 7". Can I use 6.5" on this polisher or need to stick with meguiars?

Well, I've ordered 3 pads from i4detailing. Now need to learn to use it...

You can use pads ranging from 80mm to 175mm with the G220 and equivalent machines such as the Kestrel DAS-6; just always make sure you use the correct size backing plate with each pad size (i.e. a backing plate at least 10mm smaller in diameter than the pad). :sm4:

Big thanks guys.
Tomorrow will have a go with it :)

OK. Another question.
I've read that pdf and it says to start from least cutting products.
My paintwork isn't bad. Hand polished every week etc.
I've got meguiars cutting , polishing and finishing pads.
One of each but might get another polish and finish ones before I start working on it.
I've ordered menzerna power finish PO203s and final finish PO85 RE 5.
Plus have some other polishers (silver Tcut, Auto glym super resin polish and a bit of meguiars deep crystal ).
Maybe should get something else?
Paintwork itself is very good with minor scratches PLUS there are two deeper scratches and would be nice to get rid of.
How should I start?

Also, after polishing I wipe it with microfibre cloth?

Sorry for dumb questions...

Last edited:
Because Audi paint is rock hard, you will in all likelihood need to use at least the 203S on a polishing pad to remove minor swirls and fine scratches. However, if you wish to be ultra cautious, start with 85RE on a finishing pad and check your results - if you are happy then great, no need to do anything else, but if not move on to the 203S and polishing pad combo and repeat. Of course, the deeper defects may require you to switch to a cutting pad and/or stronger compound; none of what you have is stronger than 203S, so ultimately you may end up needing to get some Meguiar's #105 or equivalent to tackle the deeper scratches if the 203S doesn't do the trick. Finally, yes, once you have done each section and the polish residue has turned virtually clear buff off the remaining oils using a soft microfibre towel and then inspect the finish before moving on/repeating the process. :sm4:

Cool, I'm just waiting now to get a bit less sun and am going to try :)

OK. Job almost done. There are still bigger scratches left. Will need to get something more aggressive to get rid of them.
Used cutting pad with 203s but scratches still there.

Can someone please tell me how do you clean pads after polish/wax?

Can someone please tell me how do you clean pads after polish/wax?

You can store them for a day or 2 wrapped in clingfilm or in an air tight poly bag if you plan on using the same polish with them again, otherwise run them under warm water with a squirt of Fairy Liquid and just rinse them through until clean or you can pop them in the washing machine, preferably with a non bio liquid and make sure there's NO fabric conditioner in the tray. Then just dry them naturally and they'll be ready to go again.