which one???

audi ben

They call him the police version of the stig
Reaction score
Im looking at the quattro a4 2.8 v6 but also at the 1.8T one.

Cant decide. what are the pro's and cons of the cars?

well the general opinion is the 1.8T, much more avalible mods, and quicker once chipped.

yeah the only thing is that i have had the 2.8 and its loads of power i dont want to go down if you know what i mean.
Dcourley which one did you prefer for power and which was faster the v6 or turbo?

the 2.8 is lovely and smooth, quite fast but thirsty! there's not much avalible in the way of mods tho. its a bit quicker than a standard 1.8t but the latter is easily tuned. i prefer the v6 it sounds better! dont think 2.8's sell that well either.

Chipped 1.8T, easy. Better driveability as it don't require thrashing to tap in to the power, and less cylinders to throw petrol into.
just my opinion.
I've had nearly every car / engine combo going and unless we're talking M3's and that, all the 6 cyl cars i've had have never performed well enough to justify the rate at which they consume petrol.
Can't beat the noise of a V6 though.

Going by the post 'Alcoholic Quattro' has put me off. But fair piont to the lafs that own them you dont buy them for good fuel consumption.

I would say it depends on what you want to do to the car. If you want to tune it and want good gains then turbo all the way. If your just looking at a filter, exhuast and a chip then the 2.8 is prob still a good bet.

Well the 2.8 with the Supercharger was a sweet car and quick and oh so silky smooth and is bar far the better buy for your money if your not going to tune it and if only being compared to a 150bhp 1.8T then the 2.8 is the better buy.

But if your looking at the 180bhp 1.8T against the 2.8 then one you would only have to chip it and you have a quicker and cheaper running car as you will do half the fuel and the list is endless for extra power plus half the cost again to make a car 100bhp more power full that a full swinging 2.8 Supercharged A4.

So the conclusion:

If you are not going to tune it and you don’t mind the fuel cost and its against a 150bhp 1.8T then the 2.8Q wins hands down as you will have a higher spec car more power and smoother but if the 180bhp is in the list then I would go for the 1.8TQ every day over the 2.8 everyday as a chip alone would give you a quicker car.

Hoped that helped.

"Well the 2.8 with the Supercharger was a sweet car"

When'dya sell it Doc? I noticed it was on your sig for ages.

Sorry, hi-jacking thread here...

Well the car sold Friday week and Audi Ben was intrested in it but he did not get back to me on time which is a pitty as I know he would have loved it and got a bargin.

joost said:
"Well the 2.8 with the Supercharger was a sweet car"

When'dya sell it Doc? I noticed it was on your sig for ages.

Sorry, hi-jacking thread here...
wondering that also, hope you got what you wanted for it

How do you tell whether the 1.8t is a 150 or 180 bhp version?

Only the 1.8t quattro's were 180 bhp on a (b5) shape

tristenb said:
How do you tell whether the 1.8t is a 150 or 180 bhp version?

You also get the following on the 1.8T 180bhp (as standard) over the 150bhp:

- chrome exhausts
- white dials
- silver aluminium door/dash trims.

If it isn't debadged the A4 badge on the bootlid will be underlined. There's a small bit of red background behind the ‘T’ on the 1.8 T badge.

The 180 is also lower than the 150.

docurley said:
Well the car sold Friday week and Audi Ben was intrested in it but he did not get back to me on time which is a pitty as I know he would have loved it and got a bargin.

i know i cried when you said you sold it i was trying so hard to get rid of the punto and my audi!

Crash said:
You also get the following on the 1.8T 180bhp (as standard) over the 150bhp:

- chrome exhausts
- white dials
- silver aluminium door/dash trims.

If it isn't debadged the A4 badge on the bootlid will be underlined. There's a small bit of red background behind the ‘T’ on the 1.8 T badge.

The 180 is also lower than the 150.
i think the 180 bhp was called Quattro Sport, seen one in half leather

Beerzo said:
Going by the post 'Alcoholic Quattro' has put me off. But fair piont to the lafs that own them you dont buy them for good fuel consumption.

I would say it depends on what you want to do to the car. If you want to tune it and want good gains then turbo all the way. If your just looking at a filter, exhuast and a chip then the 2.8 is prob still a good bet.

Well my 2.8q is really good on fuel compaired to everyone elses. i get an average of 30mpg and I do a mixture of town and motorway driving and most of the time on the motorway it is stop start because of traffic. it drops down to 27mpg if i drive progressively. and the other day i got 380 miles out of a tank of V-Power