Which oil?

R

RC944

i am getting mixed signals... halfords says one thing, castrol oil selector another, and old service receipts another...

its been changed from variable to fixed service interval and im thinking 0/30 but i know others will suggest 5/30 and some perhaps 0/40??

any thoughts

Audi use 5/30 on most of there engines, personally I would go for the quantum oil (VW own brand) you can get it cheap from TPS or even on ebay, been using it on my 1.9, 2.0 & 3.0 TDi engines for the last 5 years, but like yourself I used fixed servicing, don't believe in this long life servicing BS.

Personally, I would suggest a VAG 504/507 rated oil - which is going to be 5W-30 - Quantum as above is very reasonably priced. I've noticed that some of the very modern oils are coming out with 0W-30 and even 0W-20 which I assume is to squeeze max MPG from a cold engine and to cope with stop/start oil circulation with these mickey mouse systems that "stall" the engine when you stop and/or cut out some pistons - so your V6 becomes a Citroen C1:haha:

ive been using castrol edge professional for quite some time in all my cars and i did recently top up with 1 litre of it in the S6. its been about 6k miles since it last had an oil service so well within spec in terms of consumption so i dont mind using a slightly pricier oil...

both the 0/30 and 5/30 are vag 504 and 507 rated its beyond my knowledge which of the two is better for mine although i can say that its doing a lot of stop start miles as its the school run barge and general run about

The 0W30 oils will be Shell Helix Ultra products .

2 available .

AV-L , or ECT C2 C3 .

The later will have extra friction modifiers in the additive package to squeeze out more economy without reducing viscosity along with a tiny improvement in soot thickening .

Might as well use the cheaper Quantum as it's VW Trademarked , approved and probably made in the same factory in Gent , Belgium , possibly the same formula too .