Which Oil S3

Pat

Reaction score
My s3 amk is going in for a service next week.. i phoned audi yesterday and they said it has either 0-40w or 0-30w.. the 0-40w is a heck of alot cheaper... which do i need..

Audi approve 2 oils for their AVS servicing which meet the 503.01 specification:

Mobil 1 0w-40
Castrol Formula SLX 0w-30 (Note: NOT SLX Longlife II)

I use Mobil 1, easy to get hold of.

I use Halfords fully synthetic or Synta Gold (both 5w 40) and change it every 5k / 6 months. Halfords stuff was buy one get one free last time I was in Halfords - so 10 litres for £33.

i use millers xfs 5w 40, found it doesnt use as much oil using the 5w 40 and I alsoi change it every 6-8000 miles. Noticed a lot of VAG cars have changed from 0w 30 to 5w 30 due to oil consumption. eg the mk5 golf

I vote for the most expensive you can find :lmfao:

On a slightly more serious note, order some Motul 8100 Vag specific stuff from opieoils, you even get a discount for being a member on here. From what I've read it's the muts nuts of oils.

I was told to use the AVS spec oil weather the cars on AVS or not as its a better quality and would be better for the engine, to be honest im inclined to believe it or am i just wasting my money?

s3ollie said:
I was told to use the AVS spec oil weather the cars on AVS or not as its a better quality and would be better for the engine, to be honest im inclined to believe it or am i just wasting my money?
I think you are just wasting your money on AVS spec oil if you aren't running your car on AVS. I think you are better off buying twice as much of a 'normal' synthetic oil and changing it more often.

The AVS oil just has more additives to prevent oil degradation over large mileages - up to 20k or 2 years. If you are changing it at 10k / every year or better still 5k / 6 months a 'normal' synthetic oil shouldn't degrade.

I have the car serviced every 10k, i find 20k it a tad to long for my liking