Which octane fuel in 1.8 tfsi - hesitation and stutter on acceleration when cold

Ajwiggy

Just spit ballin, its not all gunna be gold!
Reaction score
Hi, Ive recently got my Audi a3 1.8 tfsi 2010, all was well for first few days and now its developed a hesitation and juddering under acceleration especially when cold, but its not all the time. When the car has fully warmed up to operating temp it does not do it.
It did have about a quart of a tank in when I got it and I filled up with normal 95 unleaded, Im now at about half a tank.
I did not get an owners manual with the car and have now ordered one, Im wondering if I should have put premium unleaded in the car.
If its not the fuel does anyone no what it could be?

Also would it help if I tried a tank of fuel with redex or something to clean it.

The ecu will adjust to fuel used..
I'd say have it scanned by VCDS or a dealer to check for faults.
Could be anything like ignition coils, water in a plug or even bad fuel.

my 1.8tfsi is abit juddery when cold as well , i use v-power once a month for a full tank then normal shell.
maybe its just a engine thing :/, let me know if you find any thing

Hi guy's, I took it to Audi and they did a full diagnostic, which they quoted me £60 for when I left it with them, the spark plugs were knakered, and a coil had gone also. I'm glad I took it as not only did they sort the problem with a new set of plugs and a new coil which I think would have cost about 100 quid in parts alone, they did a full audi inspection and report for which I have a printout, nothing else showed up on the diagnostic or visual apart from slight fault on fuel filler flap lock motor, which I can live with, my point is that being a new car to me, and me not being a mechanic, its piece of mind knowing that I have not bought a duffer! The bill came to £260 which I thought was very reasonable. Ive since checked the air filter myself and that was pretty black and dusty, so Ive dropped in a k&n panel.
It now run's very sweet indeed ;-)

Reactions: sliced
Hi guy's, I took it to Audi and they did a full diagnostic, which they quoted me £60 for when I left it with them, the spark plugs were knakered, and a coil had gone also. I'm glad I took it as not only did they sort the problem with a new set of plugs and a new coil which I think would have cost about 100 quid in parts alone, they did a full audi inspection and report for which I have a printout, nothing else showed up on the diagnostic or visual apart from slight fault on fuel filler flap lock motor, which I can live with, my point is that being a new car to me, and me not being a mechanic, its piece of mind knowing that I have not bought a duffer! The bill came to £260 which I thought was very reasonable. Ive since checked the air filter myself and that was pretty black and dusty, so Ive dropped in a k&n panel.
It now run's very sweet indeed ;-)

Great to hear its all solved.
I had the exact same problem, ended up using vcds to get it diagnosed and then I replaced the spark plugs and problematic coil pack, worked out £70-80 in total for parts.

Awsome you saved a packet with your video cd's, heaven know's how you got that to work, you must be some wizkid, but I bet you didn't get free latte's and biscuit's and greeted at the showroom door by a leggy blonde :hubbahubba: