Which new car??

scott_johnson

Reaction score
Hey all!! Thinking about parting with the S3 for something different...

Theres a few cars ive been looking at and wanted to no every ones opinions..

Firstly is a c5 RS6 Saloon..

Second a BMW Z3M covertible (cheap fast thrills) / E46 m3 Convertible

Thirdly Audi S4 Saloon.

Or a maserati 3200 (although the insurance quotes wernt looking too cracking with this one... lol)

SJ

C5 RS6 for me, but its a totally different car to the others really, not as easy to throw around and with the auto box, its arguably not as much fun. But out of your list its what Id go for. The M3 would be my 2nd choice.

I no exactly your thoughts Glen.. Thats why i fancied a z3m for some noise and fun.. Im finding that audis are too clinical and dare i say slightly boring (too perfect maybe??).. i think the RS6 would just be like the s3 just with more power....

Im scared of looking like a hairdresser in the z3m, although i think, with the right mods, could look pretty agressive?

Ok, now weve established whats what, ill give you some pricings..

Car Price Insurance
m3 £12k? £2500
Z3m £8-9k £1400
rs6 £16k £1200
3200 10k £3000

As you can see, some insurance quotes are silly. I cant believe i got quoted 1200 for a 450bhp rs6, which is quicker and more expensive than an m3 but miles cheaper to insure... Id rather have more money in a car than insurance..

s3 price like for like, is looking likely a z3m.. cheaper to insure and fairly cheap...

Ok, now weve established whats what, ill give you some pricings..

Car Price Insurance
m3 £12k? £2500
Z3m £8-9k £1400
rs6 £16k £1200
3200 10k £3000

As you can see, some insurance quotes are silly. I cant believe i got quoted 1200 for a 450bhp rs6, which is quicker and more expensive than an m3 but miles cheaper to insure... Id rather have more money in a car than insurance..

s3 price like for like, is looking likely a z3m.. cheaper to insure and fairly cheap...

Jesus christ! How old are you? What do you currently pay on the S3?

Hmm i wanted to get an Z3 last month but keep my A3 aswell, i do like them. But i wouldnt even bother looking at them if you can get M3, RS6 & Maserati 3200. Hmm hard choice lol well Z3 out of the question! M3, RS6 Or 3200. I'd go for a few drives in them and have a look at different colours As its a hrd choice and all 3 are nice cars and i think would be fun to drive! Have you hada look at any yet mate?

Im 20 (21 august) but cant get one till jan when my insurance renewal comes through...

Ive looked at a blue z3m at well lane turbo centre in batley... couldnt take it out as it was wedged in, but the noise was something else!! Well impressed.

Rs6 looks a good buy but i dont no if id get bored of the linear power delivery and average handling.. And in fairness not that loud to say there a v8.. although mapped im sure there like a bat outta hell.

S4, again awesome car, good noise, but not much quicker than a well set up s3 and limited by mods as there NA, without spending a fair few quid..

I was thinking, Z3M, new pipes, cats and intake, map and some bbs lm's with dark centres??

I believe the RS6 maps to approx. 500bhp/500lbs.......mmm.

If you are looking at these now when you are 20 going 21, then I guess you will be looking at Lambo's and Ferrari's when you turn 25! :)

Those insurance quotes aint too bad neither considering, I'd go for M3 at your age.

id go for z3m coupe not the convertable, probably more fun to drive then the m3 ive heared there the fastest out of that era bmw, from a mate who works at bmw and drives them all the time, also you'd be keeping the rare apeal as there rarer then an s3 imo everyone has an m3 yyyaaaaawwwwwwwwwnnnn

That's because they are ****** good cars Kev :p
yeah but my point is that a z3m is practically the same thing but to me more desirable, bit like a tt to an s3

yeah but my point is that a z3m is practically the same thing but to me more desirable, bit like a tt to an s3

Engine wise they're similar, but the chassis architecture/components on the Z3M are much older in comparison to the E46 M3.

Although with less than 1000 RHD Z3M's sold in Europe, they're certainly a lot less common than the M3!

s4 or m3. This is actually the same conundrum i'm giving myself at the mo!

s4 or m3. This is actually the same conundrum i'm giving myself at the mo!

try both for a drive,which is easier to get in good shape?? s4 is discrete lookng for the power though,thats the good thing ,but im not lucky enough to have to decide..let us all know what happens,

seriously droolingiver the piece of *** in the :jump:sig !!

Mate, I don't think sigs like that are allowed. Look at the the fuss Staz's one caused.

Anyway avoid the Maserati, a friend had one and it cost him an absolute arm and a leg to run, he earns mega bucks and even he couldn't cope with the running costs.

S4 and RS6 are too clinical, both sound great with a Milltek but don't really have that driver appeal the BMW's do. The Z3M is a nice motor, very rare, and sound brilliant. The looks are a bit strange but it has real character. M3 likewise, but nowhere near as rare.

RS6 gets my vote, although it would have to be in avant form in misano red with anthacite wheels on coilovers and mapped to a nice round 500bhp cant think of anything that would be higher on my wish list, oh and lucky boy to be looking at any of the above cars at 20 :respekt:

Cheers for the comments guys..

All exactly what i thought..

Maserati = stupidly expensive to run, although is rare as hell and sound ace.

rs6 = still expensive to buy, linear power and could possibly get bored very easily

s4 = again, same as the rs6 but cheaper to buy but less power ultimately

m3 = awesome machines, cheapish to buy, gunna get raped on insurance.. lol

z3m (conv) = cheap to buy, rare, cheapish to insure / run and sounds like an e46 m3 (which is never a bad thing!!! lol) and could make it less hair dresser??

Or it could be a b5 rs4 but i could add cars to the list all day long.. (i still dont think you get as value for money with an rs4 than you do rs6, as the 6's are normally newer with less miles)

ANyone else surgest something that i may of missed? I dont really want japanese (was thinking p1 scoob but a tad plasticy) was also thinking SL55 but id have to take a loan to buy one which i dont really wanna do!!

SJ

Next on my list is probably going to be a Monaro - same sideways fun of the M3, burbly V8 of the Maser, and easily tunable like the Audis. Rare, too. It might not be as fast round a track, but I'm betting it'll be more fun more of the time.

If you have somewhere to park it, get yourself an Evo6 TME, it's as quick as the RS6 if not quicker in the right hands and has more practicality than an M3.

I'd be interested in what the insurance quote for one is though. :)

Are you talking about the Z3M Coupe or the roadster? The coupe would get my vote as it has the same engine as an E36 M3 Evo (320ish bhp) and looks more manly due to the hard top, rare as lepracorn sh*t too.

I saw a supercharged one at the ring last year and it was faster than light :undwech:

Last edited:
It was the s50 (e36 m3 evo engined) Z3M convertible.

I dont no if i could live everyday with an evo 6. As quick as they are, id miss my leather recaros and bose too much!! lol.

I dont no why im swayed towards the z3m convertible.. i think its the thought of hearing a straight 6 with the top down.. Sounds good fun to me!!

Aye men to that Glen!! Just got a quote on an e46 m3 @ £1600.. Looks very promising now!!

I couldnt give up the prestige and sophistication you get with german cars, and as mentioned previously, theres a 'chav' stigma attached to cars with spoilers the size of ironing boards!!

you've got the same decision as me by the looks of it. m3 vs. Z4 vs S4, all cab. Personally, I'm 80% towards the S4 cab, so I can tick V8 cabriolet off the list before I have kids. Be honest with yourself and ask how much b-road blasting you'll be doing, otherwise any of those are capable or fun on a-roads. Maserati, and to a lesser extent RS6, are bankruptcy machines though.