Which lights => Philips Bluevision or nightguide ?

koen_dr

Reaction score
Website
spaces.msn.com
Well, I want my car to look a bit good and I wanna see more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gifso I would like to change te lightbulbs...

So I think I will use Philips, because I can get those in Belgium, but wich one will be best and look good :

- Bluevision
- Nightguide

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Personally I have used the Philips VisionPlus bulbs, which are supposed to give 50% more light than a standard bulb, in all my 5 A3s and have been very happy with them. Much better than standard bulbs.

In this weeks Auto Express magazine the Vision Plus together with the Osram SilverPlus came out the best in the +50 catagory.

The Philips Blue Vision Ultra were rated as a Best Buy, but in the Blue catagory. They commented "For the first time, here is a bulb worthy of our Best Buy award; the Philips gets very close to the +30 offerings. If you must have the xenon look this Blue Vision Ultra is the best of those tested.

If you want Blue - go for the Blue Vision Ultra but if you want the maximum amount of extra light go for either the Philips VisionPlus or Osram SilverStar.

Thanks a Lot, but I think I'll go for the bluevisions, I think the standard setup gives good light, so they will be a good improvement and they will proberbly look the way I want them too

I quite fancy fitting these to my new car (when it arrives in 4 weeks).

Is it straight forward to swap out the existing bulbs?

I have the Osram lights - living in an area where horses cattle donkeys deer and other animals roam free I wanted the maximum light.. They made a huge difference, personally I viewed it as the best (£30?) or so Ive ever spent on a car!

It was fiddly on the A4 finding the relevant bits to undo - no problem at all once located! If I recall correctly, needed a long extension piece.

Yes they are quite easy to change - it describes the process in the Owners Manual that you will get with the car.

I have the Osram SilverStar on my current car and they have a nice pink tint to them, and they did improve over OEM a little

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I have used the Philips VisionPlus bulbs, which are supposed to give 50% more light than a standard bulb, in all my 5 A3s and have been very happy with them. Much better than standard bulbs.

In this weeks Auto Express magazine the Vision Plus together with the Osram SilverPlus came out the best in the +50 catagory.

The Philips Blue Vision Ultra were rated as a Best Buy, but in the Blue catagory. They commented "For the first time, here is a bulb worthy of our Best Buy award; the Philips gets very close to the +30 offerings. If you must have the xenon look this Blue Vision Ultra is the best of those tested.

If you want Blue - go for the Blue Vision Ultra but if you want the maximum amount of extra light go for either the Philips VisionPlus or Osram SilverStar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, would you happen to know the part numbers for the bulbs that you fitted as I might fit similar bulbs.

Cheers
Kash.

They don't seem to have a part number as such but the are: Philips VisionPlus H7 12v 55w.

On the new A3 they are the same bulbs for both main and dip beams

I normally order mine over the internet from Powerbulbs . They have always offer a quick and efficient service.

Hi Dave,

So I would need to order 2 pairs of the Blue Vision Ultra H7 's to do the dipped and mainbeams, Yes?

And the Free Bluevision Sidelight bulbs that come free with all orders. That would be for the inside pair of lights, ie the ones cloest to the grille?? It says they fit 95% of Cars. Is the A3 one of them?

Lastly, How hard is it to change the bulbs yourself. Any guides on the Web cause I thought I heard changing bulbs on the A3 was a dealer jobbie!!

Cheers

Keith

Your correct Calibos - 2 pairs of the Blue Vision Ultra H7s will do both main and dipped beams. Changing those is straight forward and the process is described in the Owners Manual (p378-381 in my englisch 5.04 version). With the previous A3 the manual always said refer to the dealer but that is no longer the case.

As far as the free Bluevision sidelight bulbs are concerned the free ones do fit the A3 but they are a little more difficult to change. I have never actually done it, but I understand that they are just a push fit but it can be a devel to get the existing ones out. Do a search on the forum for 'sidelights' or 'sidelight bulbs' and you will find some helpful hints from others who have done it.

If anyone orders from powerbulbs, i've just found a non expiring discount voucher code /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ZXRCX111 will get you 10% off.

You're welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just ordered 2 pairs of BlueVision Ultra from Powerbulbs. Thanks Dave and Eeef.

In certainly easier if you can get some help from someone with smaller hands !

Just bought a couple of sets of the Philips Blue Visions for £21.00 each pair, plus 79 pence for p&p.

Just need the car now!

I have the PIAA bulbs in mine and it transformed the lights. Have tried various bulbs, always go back to the PIAA...

Almost Xeneon performance. Saying that I have an after market Xenon kit sitting waiting to go on. Havent found the time to install it yet.

[ QUOTE ]
Just bought a couple of sets of the Philips Blue Visions for £21.00 each pair, plus 79 pence for p&p.

Just need the car now!

[/ QUOTE ]

oops.....forgot to say I got them from Ebay!

I bought Osrams and,though they are better than standard,they didn't make the marked improvement I'd hoped for.
The biggest improvement I made was free.
The standard headlight height is way too low (I know others have mentioned this as well) so 30 seconds with a screwdriver making small,but equal,adjustments to each side (followed by a test drive each time) had them much better,especially on dip.

I've yet to be flashed for glaring oncoming drivers,and my mate didn't notice a problem when I followed him,so there's no apparent problem there either.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes they are quite easy to change - it describes the process in the Owners Manual that you will get with the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaddya know they actually show you how to do it! I've never seen that in another Owners manual, top marks to Audi.

Removing them does give better access, but I changed mine without taking any of them off. The Owners Handbook describes how to do it and does not say anything about taking anything off first.

Just squeezed my hands in and removed the back covers, removed the wiring connector, unclipped the existing bulbs and removed them - it's a good idea to note how the existing bulb is positioned around the hole - placed the new ones in place in the same way, re-connected the wiring, replaced the back covers and hey presto. If you have large hands it can help if you can find someone with smaller hands !

As David says,there's really no need to remove parts at all.
Took me about 1/2 an hour to replace both main and sidelight bulbs.
Passenger sidelight bulb was the worst,but not that many swear words uttered.

OK 15 minutes and one band aid later......Brilliant!

You can see the difference in daylight, always a good sign.

They're 10 times easier to fit than the Golf's.

I didn't use the sidelight bulbs, they look a little tricky to get to and I'm not sure they're the right fitting. Who uses sidelights only anyway?

Glad you got the bulbs in OK and with not too much damage to your hands.

And, as you say, who uses sidelights only anyway. No one I hope. There for parking only ! Dipped headlights at all other times.

I must admit,I often drive around with the sidelights on.
In my defence,it's often just because it's too dark inside the car,which is a side effect of the black headlining in the S-line,and not because it's dark outside.

Yes I can see that. I must admit then when I drove the 2.0T S-line as a courtest car the other week it did seem much darker inside than my SE.

The earlier A3s used to have their instrument lights on all the time, which I always thought was a good idea. It's a shame that they stopped do it on the new A3.

Not really a problem driving with sidelights on during daylight. It those that drive with just them on when it's getting dark. I'm sure some people must think they are doing their bit for global warming and saving energy.

My pet hate..

Sidelights and fog lights,instead of proper headlights..

God,that annoys me..

Do they really think they look cool ??

My Philips Blue Vision Ultras arrived this morning and I have just fitted them.

After the first one the rest were a doddle. God you lads must have shovels for hands or I have dainty little ones!

Started on the drivers side and it took me about 15 minutes to change the dipped because I couldn't get the connecter to click back into place in the housing. Turns out I was trying to get it in upside down. Once I realised that it went back in no problem and the rest of the dipped/fullbeam even on the passengerside where the airbox leaves less room to manouver, were done in 5 minute a piece. Even the sidelights were easy and the manual says that they are dealer fit. Just used a needle nosed pliers to pull them out, replaced bulbs and back in by hand. Again 4-5 minute a piece to remove,replace bulb and refit.

Anyway, now I just have to wait till its dark to see were they worth the effort and expense.

On a sidenote, I forgot about the fog lights. Might feel the need to replace them too to match the rest. Are they H7 55w bulbs too??

Just a quick question on the whole lamp thing.......

What is the difference between the factory fitted Xenon option and fitting Xenon filled lamps??

[ QUOTE ]
Just a quick question on the whole lamp thing.......

What is the difference between the factory fitted Xenon option and fitting Xenon filled lamps??

[/ QUOTE ]

A whole lot!

Factory fit xenons are 'real' xenon bulbs. Inside the glass bulb is filled with 'pure' xenon gas and the light is actually generated by an electrical arc between two electrodes rather than a filament glowing as electricity is passed through it as in a normal bulb. FF Xenons usualy have a projector lense rather than the mirror reflectors of a normal headlight. FF Xenons must also have a headlight washer system by law.

The bulbs we are talking about have a bit of xenon gas in them but are of the normal filament type. I think the xenon gas just helps the filament burn at a higher temperature and thus shines with a whiter light.

After fitting mine I reckon they look like half way between the slightly yellow light from the standard bulbs and the sharp blue white light of real xenons.

They weren't a waste but then again I don't know if I would be bothered again. They are whiter alright but I don't know where the blue in Philips Bluevision comes from!

IMO if you want the Xenon look either get them factory fit with a new car or spend a fortune getting 'real' xenons retrofitted but don't bother with 'Xenon effect' bulbs. If you wanted greater view distance with your normal headlights go for the +50 bulbs mentioned earlier in this thread.

On Friday I decided to order some Philips VisionPlus bulbs from powerbulbs (thanks to Eeef for the discount, btw). Great service - I got them on Saturday morning, and by 10am I'd fitted them.

The bulbs are a huge improvement over the standard ones - I just wish I'd put them in when I got the car 2 years ago!

Thanks for the recommendation guys.