Which induction?

yahyar

Reaction score
Hi guys

I currently have a k&n typhoon intake on my s3. it sounds great but im not happy with it absorbing all the hot air from the engine bay.

i do have an option to go with a custom intake, which sits behind the foglight. i think this would allow much colder air intake. however, i've heard of the possibility of increased turbo lag?

what do you guys think? any experiences with induction?

The standard one is better than having an intake in the engine compartment, taking cold air from the front is the best option, just like the standard one. There's no effect on lag, which can happen with a larger intercooler.

yo yah wassup.i think that there is less hot air with the original intake but at the same time think that the original intake doesnt get enough air as it sits in an akward position behind the grill with a narrow intake piece maybe the induction behind the fog light will work but thats if you willing to make holes in your honeycomb vents cause they sealed right?

yo yah wassup.i think that there is less hot air with the original intake but at the same time think that the original intake doesnt get enough air as it sits in an akward position behind the grill with a narrow intake piece maybe the induction behind the fog light will work but thats if you willing to make holes in your honeycomb vents cause they sealed right?

Would it be rude of me to correct this guy's terrible English?

Hi guys

I currently have a k&n typhoon intake on my s3. it sounds great but im not happy with it absorbing all the hot air from the engine bay.

i do have an option to go with a custom intake, which sits behind the foglight. i think this would allow much colder air intake. however, i've heard of the possibility of increased turbo lag?

what do you guys think? any experiences with induction?

I take it you have a 8P S3 right?

Cheap option is a uprated panel filter, no real gains.

Next option's are one of the Neuspeed kits or the Dbilas intake both will give you decent gains , there £250-350 though , and you have to mod/take off your engaine cover and Std air box!

p

initially i tried the uprated k&n panel filter, which showed no significant change in responsiveness or power.

next, i tried the carbonio which did seem to improve response a lot more, but didnt increase power at all.

currently, i am borrowing a k&n typhoon induction which sits in the engine bay like this
ATP-VVW-173_450-2.jpg

the k&n is definitely an improvement over the previous intakes. my gripe is that it absorbs serious amounts of heat, especially with a bracket in place shielding the cone from direct air intake and the absence of a heatshield resulting in serious amounts of heatsoak on the tubing.

from what i understand, the neuspeed is similiar in set up? or am i mistaken?

browsing around on forums i see your setup shaun

30012008045.jpg

where does your filter sit?

what i want to know, is if it would hurt to fit a custom intake situated behind the fog lamp as such

intake.jpg

would the increased distance needed for air to travel offset the performance increase from cooler air?
would the longer distance increase turbo lag?

any response not pertaining to quality of grammar is gladly appreciated

any response not pertaining to quality of grammar is gladly appreciated

lol sorry yahyar I wasn't trying to thread jack, I just get a bit annoyed with the standard of English on this forum.

In response to your questions though, I'd say that a longer intake on your car would be similar to you trying to take a deep breath through a long tube. As long as the diameter of the tube was big enough it won't restrict your airflow. If you try to breathe through a toilet roll you won't have problems, try to breathe through a straw though and you will.

I'm sure there are some formulas to work out what diameter would affect volumetric efficiency but the easiest way would be to compare your hose to the OEM intake pipes. As long as for the length of the hose it doesn't get smaller than the OEM diameter then I'd say you won't have any problems.

I may be simplifying it slightly but I think the analogy is correct.

Ultimately if you tried to breathe through a toilet roll 4 miles long it wouldn't make a difference.

Hi Yahyar.

I fitted my Forge CAI kit 2 weeks after Shaun after seeing his impressive gains. Well worth every cent imho.

The Forge kit has another piece which you don't see on the pic which goes down into the bay behind the fog light / honeycomb grill. The grill is already perforated so the vents of the honeycomb are open and huge amounts of cold air flow in through there. Just don't go crossing any rivers because of the risk of hydrolock. Although you can buy an extra "sleeve" to fit over the intake itself which repels water. Your choice.

I gained 13 KW (about 18 bhp) at the wheels with the above setup.

Vag logs show the turbo spooling up quicker by about 400 rpm's with this kit and the noise is fantastic. (although not everyone will enjoy the whistle and groan - I love it - scares ppl on the side of the road and even previous gen Scooby STI drivers are jealous ...)

Amazing stuff - great upgrade for the 8P S3.

:salute:

A MK 2 Leon Cupra just made 310bhp ATW and 394lbft at a Cupra.net rolling road day , other remapped cars WITHOUT the Dbilas never made anywhere near as much!

With a Supersprint zorst , Forge DV , Revo stage 1 , and a Dbilas CAF .

p

A MK 2 Leon Cupra just made 310bhp ATW and 394lbft at a Cupra.net rolling road day , other remapped cars WITHOUT the Dbilas never made anywhere near as much!

With a Supersprint zorst , Forge DV , Revo stage 1 , and a Dbilas CAF .

p

Also good.

Forge CAI is right up there: if I do some math...

//math mode on

203 wheel kw. (Revo Stage 1 8P S3, Forge DV, Forge Intake, 95 UL no zorst mods though)

Works back to approx 276.2 bhp.

Add 5% for 1700m altitude loss in Johannesburg, SA, for turbo induction;

Add another 3% back for 95 RON Unleaded fuel - best we get at the pumps;

Gets us back to 299BHP at the wheels - call it 300bhp.

Adjust for 4wheel drive powetrain losses and that Cupra should be making 310BHP .... (without knowing the outside ambient temp that is.)

Now that I've added the Autotech fuel pump - I would imagine it's up another 10 to 15 wheel kw if my VAG logs are anything to go by ...

Need to go for another Dyno but would expect something in the region of 215 wkw up here, or 316 wheel bhp normalised to coastal, 99UL fuel and mild ambient conditions.

Applying the same logic - that Cupra could easily make about 330 wheel bhp with the upgraded autotech fuel pump. That's crazy power.

/Math mode off.

:think:

Wusman goes downstairs to grab another Highland Park malt on the rocks. Much better than maths at this time of the evening me'thinks.

:blink:

now thats what im talking about!
thanks guys. custom here i come!
updates to follow...

:readit:hey Staz and Blondie sorry i didnt go to Oxford like you guys il try and use proper English next time.