Which induction kit for the 3.2 engine?

aimee

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm looking for a bit of advice on induction kits.
I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the best one to go for as I'm struggling to find them.
Also, can you use the ones for the mk4 golf R32?
I've had my A3 over a year now and not done any mods yet so thought I'd make a start and ask for an induction kit for my birthday. (Would ask for a Milltek exhaust but think that would be slightly out of the budget!:laugh:)

Cheers :sm4:

is there much point?

i'd put the money towards an 8P2 S-Line front end instead

Not a lot of point really, a good pipercross panel filter will be as good as anything.. Same with the Milltek ..way too boomy. save a few p and get a Remus back box, sounds superb and really enhances the V6 note. As for the front end, keep it as it is, looks great

Not a lot of point really, a good pipercross panel filter will be as good as anything.. Same with the Milltek ..way too boomy. save a few p and get a Remus back box, sounds superb and really enhances the V6 note. As for the front end, keep it as it is, looks great

You would say that tho lol

I agree, you certainly wont improve bhp only the noise. A good panel filters good or you could do a cheapie ike me and drill the air box lol, sounds ace now!

As everyone else has said,I really wouldn't bother.

You may get a bit more induction noise and if you're lucky,a few more bhp,but on a normally aspirated engine,without any other mods,it just isn't cost effective.

does the induction kit drink more fuel?

The kit itself won't do that...any worsening in fuel consumption is going to be down to your right foot,and any change in bhp.

The percentage gains in bhp are usually in the order of a few percent at best,for an outlay of over £300 on a decent induction kit....on turbo cars the gains are bigger,but again mostly due to the associated remaps.

I went into all this a year back and the biggest gain you can get on a 3.2 is Tesco 99ron over std 95 ron. approx 10bhp. it is only about 3-4 % and you will not notice it on the road in performance or MPG
The 3.2 is a great car but it is best to accept it for what it is.

Just fitted a BMC panel filter (after having the Milltek fitted) gain was noticable - not dyno'd admittedly, but pickup / throttle response much improved. OEM filter that was removed was only 10k old and wasn;t blocked - so i was pleasantly surprised with the BMC. (plus got it off ebay new & sealed for £15 :) :) )

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Although I've had the car over a year, the modifications for it are all new too me, where as with my old VR6 I knew what I was doing so thanks for all the advice.

I'm only really looking into it to enhance the noise at the moment, I know the bhp will be minimal to no increase. At the end of the day, I miss the roar my old VR used to make with the big ram air foam filter it had, hence why I was thinking of an induction kit for the A3.

I didn't know if just having an uprated panel filter would enhance the noise at all, but from the comments from you guys, I'll go down that route (or maybe just cheesebox the air box as per Sarah's comment!) and put the money it would save towards an exhaust next year, or a better birthday present off my dad :yes:

And sub39h , the front end is staying as it is for a while thanks. I've thought about the 8P2 upgrade but somedays I like it, and some I don't. I rather get a votex or similar subtle bodykit.

Good move on the front end mate, add a votex kit like V6Pete and you have a winner unless you are going the whole hog like Sarah :)

If you just want the noise the pipoercross viper R32 set up fits straight on.

Good move on the front end mate, add a votex kit like V6Pete and you have a winner unless you are going the whole hog like Sarah :)

If you just want the noise the pipoercross viper R32 set up fits straight on.

Hey P, when I fitted the Pipercross Viper there wasnt much difference in noise tbh, thats why I didnt bother and drilled the airbox, sounded better and louder. Maybe its just my 3.2 that doesnt like induction kits lol!

Oh and V6petes car looked amazing esp after it was detailed. Think hes sold it now.

my bro has a normal pipercross foam on his R32 (not viper), its a massive looking thing, sounds incredible to be honest!

Hey P, when I fitted the Pipercross Viper there wasnt much difference in noise tbh, thats why I didnt bother and drilled the airbox, sounded better and louder. Maybe its just my 3.2 that doesnt like induction kits lol!

Oh and V6petes car looked amazing esp after it was detailed. Think hes sold it now.

How big did you drill your box S and which side of the filter ? Surely it will not make a differance if you drill after the filter ??

You cant drill after the filter or dust/debris etc will get into the maff/Engine. I drilled it before the filter, lots of 22mm holes where I could get them in. For me, it made a better sound than 2 induction kits I tried. I tried each kit for a few days but the drilled airbox just sounded better, hence keeping it.

Drill your head then you will realise an S3 is a better way to get more power:laugh:

Drill your head then you will realise an S3 is a better way to get more power:laugh:

Excellent, some good advice at last ! what size holes Paul ?

S...Dont drill the holes to big or you will suck in passing S3s and they bung up the filter. :)

The Cayman is the next step up for S3 owners......most of us bypass that and go straight to the 3.2 A3 :)

Pah! you S3 haters!

Did I tell you I got me a new clutch?

err... Cayman

You dont need a time machine if you have a 3.2...put your foot down and time goes backwards.....:)

New clutch eh! due to??..... the stage 1 being too much for the S3 or too much power for it to handle lol!
Seriously, which clutch?

Seems rubbish early clutches dont even stand upto stock tune. And that later warranty versions are stronger.
Good old Geordie charm got me a new OEM replacement with 1 day warranty left. Nearly went SACHS but that seemed overkill for Stage 1.

Car is clucking nicely with 310bhp ish:icon_thumright:

ching ching

Seems rubbish early clutches dont even stand upto stock tune. And that later warranty versions are stronger.
Good old Geordie charm got me a new OEM replacement with 1 day warranty left. Nearly went SACHS but that seemed overkill for Stage 1.

Car is clucking nicely with 310bhp ish:icon_thumright:

ching ching

excellent Geordie charm works, and only 1 day left, that was lucky! So are you staying at stage1 or not tempted to go stage2 and have the sachs?

Glad its all sorted and you can have fun again.

excellent Geordie charm works, and only 1 day left, that was lucky! So are you staying at stage1 or not tempted to go stage2 and have the sachs?

Glad its all sorted and you can have fun again.

Stage 2 would be cool Sarah but not excited about spending 1200 quid on a SACHs uprated unit. Some S3s dont like Stage 2 with misfire etc and I want hassle free power.....

Never say never.

Never say never EVO X neither .....

fair point and dont blame you. I've read a fair few threads now on issues when stage 2 and above are done. Powers great but not when issues mount up to spoil it.

lol, maybe one day you will though.........

Stage 2 would be cool Sarah but not excited about spending 1200 quid on a SACHs uprated unit. Some S3s dont like Stage 2 with misfire etc and I want hassle free power.....

Never say never.

Never say never EVO X neither .....

You should have got on in the VAGOC group buy, the COMPLETE sachs SRE clutch disc & cover was only £392..b plus about £220 for your new DMF, no where near £1200 man. Totally worth it, can take advantage of the 4wd even more with hard launches, well when there's not fluid leaking onto them like mine anyway :-(

Nice video here:

YouTube - Audi A3 Turbo tuning with 460 hp!

If you wanted power, thats where it is at!

I would never go beyond a remap/exhaust because the car is what it is, anymore and it is time to upgrade!

As for the S3 v 3.2, well S3 is nice but a DSG V6 is so smooth and quiet when cruising and not exactly that far off an S3.

You should have got on in the VAGOC group buy, the COMPLETE sachs SRE clutch disc & cover was only £392..b plus about £220 for your new DMF, no where near £1200 man. Totally worth it, can take advantage of the 4wd even more with hard launches, well when there's not fluid leaking onto them like mine anyway :-(

S3 unit was £420+£300for dmf+£400 fitting, bit apprehensive about heavy pedal too.

Wary about Stage 2+ misfire, cam wear, then catch can etc.....not being chicken (honest) just want a hassle free daily.

Can see you in a S3 soon bonny lad:thumbsup: