Which fuel?

NicoS85

Reaction score
For those of you diesel owners, specifically the 3.0tdi. Which octane do you's fill up with? Coming from a s2000 I only ever filled up with shell v power unleaded or the equivalent from other petrol stations, as I knew it was mapped for it and recommended.

I can't find the information for the a4 regarding this. The fuel cap just says diesel and I can't seem to find it in the user manual. Does it even matter for diesels?

Diesel fuels ability to burn is measured in cetane. I've generally steered clear of supermarket diesel and stuck with branded fuel. As for diesel super fuels such as v-power and bp ultimate I found bp to give a quieter and smoother engine but the cost was just silly. That said I ran my A6 Bitdi on regular shell and just before I sold it on Tesco diesel both with a shot of millers fuel additive and it ran great. The only fuel it didn't like was shell v- power diesel.
Regular shell has a higher cetane number than shell v-power just to confuse you a bit more..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: V6_Man and NicoS85
I was using esso supreme diseal in A6 170 before I switched to petrol

Supermarket fuel ..branded fuel it's all the same ... you don't get Tesco and Sainsbury's oil rigs and refineries!!

Reactions: Jcbmally, Spaceman_RS3 and NicoS85
Supermarket fuel ..branded fuel it's all the same ... you don't get Tesco and Sainsbury's oil rigs and refineries!!

Same fuel but different additive packages.

When I reviewed the dash cam footage from the servicing a few weeks back of the Audi, in their workshop they got a big sign on their wall that said " Do not fill with Morrison fuel" So there must a difference..

Diesel fuels ability to burn is measured in cetane. I've generally steered clear of supermarket diesel and stuck with branded fuel. As for diesel super fuels such as v-power and bp ultimate I found bp to give a quieter and smoother engine but the cost was just silly. That said I ran my A6 Bitdi on regular shell and just before I sold it on Tesco diesel both with a shot of millers fuel additive and it ran great. The only fuel it didn't like was shell v- power diesel.
Regular shell has a higher cetane number than shell v-power just to confuse you a bit more..

Does it actually say anywhere which cetane is recommended for the 3.0tdi though?

I might just try the normal and super fuels out myself to see how they compare in performance and economy.

When I reviewed the dash cam footage from the servicing a few weeks back of the Audi, in their workshop they got a big sign on their wall that said " Do not fill with Morrison fuel" So there must a difference..

LOL no way. Picture or it didn't happen! :p

Reactions: V6_Man
LOL no way. Picture or it didn't happen! :p

@NicoS85
31dc50ca56d0ccc180f2f7c9ea452e08.jpg

Lol, you could at least good the writing straight. As far as I know supermarket fuel comes from the same depots and is transported in the same tankers as any other petrol station.
This is just another boring supermarket versus others debate that has been going on for years and nobody has ever proved Shell, BP, or whoever, standard octane is any better...

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
I think you're right though...I've been reading this `chestnut` for many many years now.

@NicoS85
31dc50ca56d0ccc180f2f7c9ea452e08.jpg

Actually that rings a bell. I think it's most likely to do with the contaminated fuel news from last year.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....sing-thousands-of-pounds-worth-of-damage/amp/

Lol, you could at least good the writing straight. As far as I know supermarket fuel comes from the same depots and is transported in the same tankers as any other petrol station.
This is just another boring supermarket versus others debate that has been going on for years and nobody has ever proved Shell, BP, or whoever, standard octane is any better...

Hasn't there been a few tests done on YouTube and magazines where they proved there is a difference in the fuels? Albeit the results are negligible for every day driving situations. But I prefer it if it benefits the engine in terms of longevity. Pretty sure I read somewhere that v power unleaded is proven to create less deposits in the engine or something like that.

There was pun intended from the above picture that I posted and nothing more. So, chilax folks!
Also, we are not the first ones and definitely won't be the last ones to have this debate. Whilst choosing a fuel for your car to a degree is a personal choice as well convenience to some it is more than that. I am a bit fussy about when it comes to how my car drives, i.e how smoothly it runs. I have tried almost all companies (except Morrisons as we don't have one where I live) and this includes regular and super/ultimate/vpower/momentum fuels both petrol and diesel. From my personal experience my cars feel sluggish or perhaps as if something is holding back the engine from its full potential. Now some of you might call us lot 'psychos' but it does. My personal view is that the base fuel all companies use are the same as they have to conform to the standards. However where each one differ in is the additives that they use - apparently this a company secret. Simply put, some cars like them some don't. Some people like them some don't and other simply don't give a toss about either.

Reactions: Jcbmally and NicoS85
I will review the footage again, and grab the shot and post it, far as I can recall it was a poster and a Morrisions shopping bag and not projected on to wall.

As it was only one dealership it might just apply to a local issue, plus there has been no mention of which fuel. Considering the amount of car owners using morrisons fuel in the uk, and the fact social network isn't lit up with morrisons fuel issue I suspect it only to be a local issue and has nothing to do with the debate here. Just because there might be one rogue issue doesn't make them all bad and if you look hard enough all the main fuel suppliers have had a supply quality issue at one stage or another.

I switched from Sainsbury's regular diesel with either a splash of Millers or Redex for peace of mind to the, on average, 5p/litre cheaper Costco premium diesel (around 25p/litre cheaper than V Power) when I had my last car, a 2.0Tdi Tiguan. Didn't notice one jot of difference with power but what I did very much notice was noise, a much quieter engine. Speaking to the Costco forecourt guy (what a great job he does, you never get diesel on your hands or shoes after using a Costco pump, spotless for well over a year now) he told me the tanker guys put their additives in on delivery and then Costco themselves add more. How true this is, not sure but the additives ARE what make the difference and it's probably whoever gets my car after me that benefits the most. If you're a Costco member with a fuel station equipped local site, recommended, cheaper than anything in the area too. No difference to report on the A4, have run it on Costco from day 1.

Reactions: NicoS85
I think the Morrisons thing has been around for a while and it was because it was partly biofuel or something. When I took my old Seat Leon in for a service 5 years or so ago they had similar notices.