Which exshaust

pwnorman

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Looking at getting milltek with high flow cat.Is there any others i should consider.Dont want to much noise just something decrete but with a bit more caractor than the standard.And is there anywhere closer than lancashire,scotland or london to get one fitted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The Milteks certainly would seem to give you what you're looking for fella. Having heard a recording on a supersprint stand of a TT I would say these are more subtle than I would expected...it sounded lovely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Miltek would always be at the top of my list, as all I've ever heard is good things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

If you can get one it would be good.I was already to set off to amd in the morning when they rang me a couple of hours ago to say they cant get hold of the exhaust off millteck its going to be a couple of weeks i'm well gutted have to what another couple of weeks for my remap now.

leezace, how much differance did the sports cat make i'm very tempted to add that on im just getting catback at the moment the only thing casting a shadow is its £700+ just for the cat and a few more bhp.

Bert S3
I paid £959 inc VAT for the cat and cat-back exhaust with JET ends, i didn't get a choice.
Seperate the system was £459 and the sports cat was £500
Its not the loudest exhaust in the world but it really is a piece of kit....quality end of story.
As for performance it is supposed to give me 20BHP and i guess it does, certainly feels more responsive but i always tend to think you can over estimate performance. What i mean is when you fit your first K&N you go like poo off a pole thinking its quicker when in reality its not, it just sounds quicker.
The millteck does groul when in demand and does boot you a little more in the back then a standard in doing so.
Was it worth the money ??
Well its a luxurey isn't it, after all the car is quick with a standard one but not as quick without one, only you can decide the worth of more responsivness !!
Yes it costs alot but i wouldn't go back.
And yes it is awesome

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i heard a miltek on an s3 and it sounded standard, it put me off because it was so quiet

There's a company that does custom exhausts for a number of different cars - the S3 included - buit I can't remember who it is. Does anyone now who I'm thinking of?

[ QUOTE ]
MingBlueMagic said:
There's a company that does custom exhausts for a number of different cars - the S3 included - buit I can't remember who it is. Does anyone now who I'm thinking of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Powerflow

Standard Milltek is barely louder than OEM, with the sports cats a little louder. Mine doesn't fit correctly and despite muiltiple adjustments still knocks badly of the car body somewhere...

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Standard Milltek is barely louder than OEM, with the sports cats a little louder. Mine doesn't fit correctly and despite muiltiple adjustments still knocks badly of the car body somewhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd disagree with that... Made a huge difference to the sound with mine... and with other 1.8T's ive been in... Sports cat does make it louder still...

Rich, the 1.8TS exhaust is very quiet as standard, therefore the Millek is appreciably louder. The S3 OEM exhaust is much louder than the 1.8TS, and therefore the Milltek is not significantly more vocal. I met a guy at Crail with an S3 + Milltek, and he was trying to get his money back as he felt it to be quieter...

If you are after more noise, the Milltek will dissapoint.

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Rich, the 1.8TS exhaust is very quiet as standard, therefore the Millek is appreciably louder. The S3 OEM exhaust is much louder than the 1.8TS, and therefore the Milltek is not significantly more vocal. I met a guy at Crail with an S3 + Milltek, and he was trying to get his money back as he felt it to be quieter...

If you are after more noise, the Milltek will dissapoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh ok then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah I have heard a miltek and there isn't much difference IMO.

I'm just gonna change mine from standard when it goes.
Rich.

if i was going for a sports exhaust i`d want mine to be quiet just my preference.

There are other to consider...supersprint for example! Good, quality exhausts! Also Remus which people dont really take about too much amongst others. Supersprint also do sports cats, although im not sure they do one for the S3/TT

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Leezace said:
Its not the loudest exhaust in the world but it really is a piece of kit....quality end of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask on what car?
An A4?

The Milltek for the S3 is, if I may be so frank, [censored].
It doesn't fit very well - always knocks, and the rear box cannot be made to sit square...if it does the tailpipes are way off. Quality? I don't think so.

I have tried for over 3 years to get it to fit correctly...it's been re-hung 3 times and it's still awful.
I personally would not say it's great...certainly not 'quality'

I'm not anti-Milltek BTW, their Mk3 Golf GTI system fits absolutely perfectly...it's just too ****** noisy!

[ QUOTE ]

As for performance it is supposed to give me 20BHP and i guess it does, certainly feels more responsive but i always tend to think you can over estimate performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and I'll say it does not.
An A4 may be different - but on a lesser power engine, I doubt it!

Unlike most of those who claim that their exhaust adds power, I dyno's mine standard, + cat back and + cats & cat back.
Guess what?
Nothing meaningful to write home about...nowt, nadda, diddly squat, fu*k all!.

I got maybe 2-3 BHP and 5 ish lb-ft if I'm being generous, out of both....and with dyno accuracy being +/- 5%, it's nothing in my book.

Add the mediocre (at best 'gain') to the ill fit and I'd say it's a crock of [censored].

On a single cat car like my Mk3 GTI I got 1 BHP and lost 1 lb-ft out of the Milltek exhaust...and nothing at all when adding the cat.
(and before anyone tells me you can't compare the GTI to a 1.8T engined car, my GTI's pushing 200BHP)

Don't believe the hype people...
Or believe what you want and waste your money...it's no skin off my nose.

i fitted a milltek to my S3, to start with it had a deeper note on tick over and was quieter when driving then the standard one, now its done around 4 to 5k it sounds a lot better ,deep but not in your face, it also gets louder when its hot, it also fits ok with no knocks and the tail pipes line up , maybe i got the good one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
There are other to consider...supersprint for example! Good, quality exhausts! Also Remus which people dont really take about too much amongst others. Supersprint also do sports cats, although im not sure they do one for the S3/TT

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

..but the Supersprint tailpipes I have seen stick out about 1/4 mile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ess Three
didnt you consider taking it back because it is quite obviously poor craftsmanship ! Even the best products available have the odd fault or are put together by a joey wan#er !! after all we are only human.
As for power, well like i said thats sometimes a missconception. on paper it can say one thing but in reality it can be quite different, sometimes for the better . On paper a BOV wont work on VAG engines but many have them fitted that do !
Your right people can make their own minds up, but what is rubbish to one man is another mans gold.
And there is always fact ! there are more people more then happy with theirs then are not.
Choise is a wonderfull thing.

[ QUOTE ]
Leezace said:
Ess Three
didnt you consider taking it back because it is quite obviously poor craftsmanship ! Even the best products available have the odd fault or are put together by a joey wan#er !! after all we are only human.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't fancy the 800 mile round trip.
I did however take it to another one of Milltek's agents...and have done so several times a year, every year.
I even discussed it with the owner of Milltek, but was made aware that a replacememt would not be forthcoming.
Not what I expected at all...

[ QUOTE ]

As for power, well like i said thats sometimes a missconception. on paper it can say one thing but in reality it can be quite different, sometimes for the better .

[/ QUOTE ]

Very rarely will a product prove to give what the manufacturer claims....but anyone with an ounce of knowledge would not believe over inflated power claims in the first instance.

I have never found an exhaust from the last decade that gave more than expected (except for noise!)

[ QUOTE ]

On paper a BOV wont work on VAG engines but many have them fitted that do !

[/ QUOTE ]

...and they do work, and make the silly noise much loved by pimply schoolboys.

They also loose approx 7BHP at the point you re-apply power after each gearchange.

Not really tuning is it? More...de-tuning!

As you say, BOVs work...if it's the noise you want.
They do not, however, 'work' in my mind as anything that it taking away from the standard power / torque curve is a backward step. De-tuning indeed...

hehehehe Pimply school boys eh !!! mmmmmm
And your car does the 1/4 mile in "warp factor 7"
lol
Nice one, after a [censored] day at work that made me smile, cheers.
I cant remember saying that fitting a BOV was tuning !
There are as many pros and cons related to both DV and BOV, a subject i have examined thoroughly but i cant be ***** to have another debate about that one.
Each to their own warpy
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif