which downpipe?

20vtdaz

Reaction score
hi guys, who makes a downpipe option for the s3? ive got a miltek hiflow cat and cat back system on the car already so if i could get a downpipe to conect to the miltek cats that would be great, although any info on this welcome, thanks daz

I think Nick Barnes is selling a Pipewerx downpipe - and Pipewerx also advertise on Ebay

the pipewerx is 600 quid and i dont need the cat, you think they might build one to conect to my miltek hi flow cat? where is nick selling his? thanks guys

i ended up selling mine with the car , pipeworx charged me £420 with the de cat for mine i think , ring them and tell them you saw it on e bay as they dont charge vat on e bay , well that s what he said to me when i rang him ,

420 quid for a de cat, thats outragous surely? ill call them tomorrow to see what they can do, , ths do them for most other 1.8t vag car for £89.00, not for ours though of course, thanks for your help guys, daz

blimey, thats mental really is it even 2 feet long? oh well ill call them, thanks again

Yeah, £420 sounds wrong.

A 2m length of stainless steel cost me £20, and I had it welded for the price of a drink onto my slightly too short downpipe and decat, which brand new cost me £100.

How complicated IS a piece of straight through pipe with one flange.

I know Jetex do a 1.8T downpipe and sports cat for £350 plus VAT...

Yeah, same as mine. £100 for the Downpipe, decat, and it was proper internally and externally welded too, as in the welding is done with gas internal to the pipe, so the weld appears both sides, like you do with food based pipes for factories etc.

£420 seems pretty damn excessive.

Mind, if you got a good product for that £420, then it was worth it...

on the quattros does the down pipe flange come out past sub frame it does look quite tight?

Dave_Bayern said:
Yeah, same as mine. £100 for the Downpipe, decat, and it was proper internally and externally welded too, as in the welding is done with gas internal to the pipe, so the weld appears both sides, like you do with food based pipes for factories etc.

i thought it was quite expensive , but as you said the product was very well built , it seemed to slow my car down a little bit when i fitted it , to be honest i wouldnt bother with a downpipe on a k04 , the standard downpipe spirled up a bit quicker if anything , gained a bit more top end , but how often do you get to thrash it top end

A 2m length of stainless steel cost me £20

Slightly off topic here, but Dave, where did you get this steel from? This is exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.

I got it from a friend I'm afraid, 2.5" in diameter, 2m length of stainless. I can ask him where he got it, but I know he has more, what kind of length are you wanting?

I need to attach my Maganflow back boxes to my A4, so just need to create some kind of sleeve. It would be good if I could get 2.5" diameter, length wise, I only really need half a metre.

Dave_Bayern said:

Its not the length that does it... its the time taken and the setup. 3" pipework from turbo inc. the flexipipe section also the clearance of propshaft and lowering of subframe and alignment. Its a pig of a JOB!!

I have one on mine custom built where i work. MIJ Performance.

Its around about the same price as PIPEWERX.

May do a GB if enough interest is generated.

Maz.

Lowering the subframe is a few bolts.

However, the turbo manifold studs are a pig on the K03/K03s, but relatively easy on the K04 (in comparison).

Theres still no way it should cost £420 for a downpipe and decat. If you lower the subframe and re-tighten to the same torque, I have shown via my own car 3 times that it changes the wheel alignment less than 1 degree.

£420 is WAY too much when £100 will get you a chinese made version, and in this day and age, Chinese factories make far better mass produced products than the English do...

Dave_Bayern said:
Lowering the subframe is a few bolts.

However, the turbo manifold studs are a pig on the K03/K03s, but relatively easy on the K04 (in comparison).

Theres still no way it should cost £420 for a downpipe and decat. If you lower the subframe and re-tighten to the same torque, I have shown via my own car 3 times that it changes the wheel alignment less than 1 degree.

£420 is WAY too much when £100 will get you a chinese made version, and in this day and age, Chinese factories make far better mass produced products than the English do...

Arrgh... Its not the fact of the bolts mate. Its not the cost of making one either... Its the labour and the amount of time it takes to custom build it. It is 3" would be so much easier if it was a smaller bore!

Anyway thats the explanation, im sure pipewerx agree.

Maz.

OK, so custom isnt custom any more when you've made one.

and labour for the making of it?

How come THS and people like that can do one for £100 then?

I have a THS downpipe and decat, 3", two lambda holes.

Fitted it in 2 hours maybe (snapped a turbo stud) and its perfect.

£100 including delivery, and an independant garage labour charge, maybe £30 an hour.

Don't see how £400 is reasonable?