Which D-SLR?

styleinnovations

convert from uk-mkivs.net
Reaction score
Looking for some advice,

Am after a new camera already have a Pentax Optio 60 for snaps, but not impressed with its low light ability and shot to shot speed,

Was thinking the only way to improve was a D-SLR so have 2 options,

Nikon D40
Canon EOS 350d

Anybody got any experience's of either of these?

i just bought the EOS 400D a few weeks ago, fantastic camera, a little difficult to get used to, I had to go get some help from a friend who has a 350D for a few years now, and without his help the camera would be rendered useless unless you know how to work an SLR

That is one concern, I have a few friends who shoot various different ones, but some are in the Nikon camp and others in the Canon one, so just getting a feel for the general concession

styleinnovations said:
Looking for some advice,

Am after a new camera already have a Pentax Optio 60 for snaps, but not impressed with its low light ability and shot to shot speed,

Was thinking the only way to improve was a D-SLR so have 2 options,

Nikon D40
Canon EOS 350d

Anybody got any experience's of either of these?

A month ago I came to a decision...

The Nikon D40x or the Canon EOS 400d both are the latest replacements to the above models you quoted.

I chose the Canon in the end. Picture quality from various gallary forums and reviews seemed more in favour of Canon. But small complaints of its plastic build. Where as the Nikon felt more solid.

I went for the Canon in the end. As well as picture quality, it had a clearer and bigger LCD screen and an anti-dust utility for the CMOS sensor.

Here's one review....
http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-eos-400d-digital-rebel-xti-vs-nikon-d40x/

There was one woman I met who had the same choice of the 2 also. Her decision was also a Canon and was down to just weight and nothing else!

Go somewhere where you can physically hold both:

I have had excellent Canon, and also excellent Nikon cameras, and am well disposed to both - when I made the switch to a DSLR, I tried both - in the end the better fit in my hands of the Nikon was the final decider - I have large hands, and the slightly smaller body of the Canon simply felt a little clumsy - You want to be concentrating on the shot, with your fingers instinctively over the relevant controls, which I couldnt do with the Canon - but it may suit you more. Camera quality wise, the minor differences in functionality are so minor that they are largely irrelevant - however, a year or so after buying the entry level Nikon DSLR (the D50 at the time) I moved to the D200 - and wow what an awesome machine, incredibly solid, fabulous results, I really wish I had taken the plunge right at the start.. about 13000 images later on the D200 I am still over the moon with it, (and am still learning! getting better all the time though!) and I think that is key - its important you are relaxed with your hardware and simply enjoy your kit..

Top tips, whatever you buy:

Having made your choice of model, buy a couple of photography mags and scout for the very best price in print (Wilkinsons are often good). THEN take the mag into your local Jessops, who will always price match it, so you always get the best deal, BUT - you also then get Jessops 30 day no question return, refund or exchange - so if you change your mind, you dont lose a penny! Also - they do the best insurance - about 10% of the price, covers for 3 years, any failure, AND any damage even accidental, with new replacement, only theft isnt covered - money well spent and peace of mind - I let my teenagers use my full kit and all the lenses without worrying - they're careful for sure, but I dont fret about it!

means you get the kit you want, the best price, somewhere local to take it to if you have issues rather than some website, 30 days to play and make sure its what you want with no risk, and ongoing peace of mind (remember the insurance is a proportion of the discounted rather than full price too!)

No I dont work for Jessops - I just love this stuff and have spent lots of time researching best way to get it!

You wont be disappointed with either model - www.dpreview.com has some really excellent reviews and forums for support

hope that helps..

looked at both the Nikon D4o & the Canon EOS 350D.
Canon has higher pixel ratio & in my view is excellent value for money, a good all rounder. Some good prices on the Canon now particularly as the newer Canon EOS 400D is the newer model .
I bought The Canon after trying both out, and yes i bought from Jessops & no i dont work for theM!
Some very good write ups on the net of the Canon too.

I just got my Nikon D70s a few months ago, and I love it. I was looking at the D40 and D40x, but they didn't appeal to me so good, I would rather get a D200 for abotu 1300, and you will love it, the bonus is that you can use all the Nikon older lenses on the D200, even the ones from 50 years ago, but not with the other models. Deffinatly the best one to go with for the price.

I'm a Canon man so can't see past them. Don't think you'll be disappointed either way but I'd recommend the Canon. Its layout and ease of use is better than Nikon and you will be delighted with the images it produces.

I too have had to make a similar decision. I was looking at the Canon 400D, Nikon D40x and D40. I took the view that I'll probably want to upgrade the body in a few years time so focus my spending on lenses, which meant the fact that the D40 is a good £100 cheaper than the other two was a real plus point. I don't need 10 megapixels - at the moment I rarely print my pictures and even if I do it's only 7x5 so the 6mp of the D40 is plenty.

I've heard several people say the Nikon kit lens is better than the Canon one and seeing the D40 kit on Jessop's website for £340 sealed it for me and I bought one last week. I've taken the camera to shoot some banger racing where I really appreciated it's ease and speed of operation and the way SLRs make manual focusing so effortless (coming from a Konica Z5 where it was hell). Yesterday I also took it to my sister's graduation and was impressed by the speed and accuracy of the autofocus for portraits and its performance in low-light. I reckon I've got a good few shots inside the Albert Hall (where the ceremony was) that will print fine - no tripod or flash, just high ISO, a good lens and a steady hand.

In summary I'm a very happy D40 owner with over £100 extra in my pocket to put towards a telephoto lens than if I'd have gone for the 400D or D40x.

Willnabby:
a very comprehensive 26 page review of the e-500:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/

their conclusions:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page26.asp

Having had an older Olympus,(not this model) my experience wasnt great - and on the basis of this review I would go back to the two choices listed above, the canon or the Nikon! (I cant stand a pokey viewfinder like on the Olympus and the older basic DSLRs - stick your eye to a D200 or equivalent Canon and you'll be staggered!)

Well....

Got the D40x What a fantastic piece of kit! !
when I can get round to working out how to reduce the files sizs I will post some pics,!
but wow, been to the Dubs in the park show today and got some nice pics.