Which CR K04 Hyrbid?

Barks

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a bit confused to which CR k04 Hybrid if the best one request, there is lots of info on seatcupra.net but has any one got a definitive cut down guide?

Which is the best V1, V1.2 or V2?
are they now being supplied with the wastegate ported?
are the actuators supplied set correctly?
are they 'plug and play' with just mapping and injectors now + stage 2 supporting mods
are MBC in parrellel a must?

Are different ones suited to different setups IE small port, large ports, highflow exhaust manifold etc??

Lots of questions, sorry

Thanks in advance

I would like to know this too, mine has been on 2 years so i presume it is V1, so will it need updating? I know it def was not ported,
I have another newer model coming shortly, so may swap them over and get my old one revised

Reactions: cecilthesausage
batman.jpg

Thankfully my mechanical skills and knowledge is better than my photoshop skills! Where's the redphone?

Hello,

I am a bit confused to which CR k04 Hybrid if the best one request, there is lots of info on seatcupra.net but has any one got a definitive cut down guide?

Which is the best V1, V1.2 or V2?
are they now being supplied with the wastegate ported?
are the actuators supplied set correctly?
are they 'plug and play' with just mapping and injectors now + stage 2 supporting mods
are MBC in parrellel a must?

Are different ones suited to different setups IE small port, large ports, highflow exhaust manifold etc??

Lots of questions, sorry

Thanks in advance

ask them.?
just a thought :p

Why is it that all the major companies I want to use are miles away! CR Turbos and Turbo Dynamics are both on the south coast 2.5 hours away. Bill is 2.5 hours to the East!!

Anyone know of any other reputable turbo companies around the south East/London area???

I will construct a email now....

I am sure they will say they are all of the none surge variety, with the wastegates ported , the actuators set and opening correctly and without using suspect asian castings.

We hope..

OK, so I think this is how it is currently:

V1: Original CR Hybrid K04.

Comes with a 2283 compressor wheel, and non clipped turbine wheel. Works well with no surge on engines with large port heads, and high flowing charge pipework. Flow is the key to success with this turbo. Very fast spool due to non clipped turbine blades.

V2: Second CR Hybrid spec.

Comes with a 2280 compressor wheel, so is slightly smaller than the V1. Also has clipped turbine blades to combat early spool for engines that couldn't ingest the airflow. Was developed to try and combat surging issues on the engines with lesser flowing heads/charge pipework.

V1.2: The hybrid hybrid

An amalgamation of the V1 and V2 turbos, clipped turbine wheel and 2283 compressor wheel. The best parts of the two previous models. Good flow capacity, later spool so less surging issues.

As far as I know, all CR Hybrids now have the wastegate ported. Although the actual build seems to vary from turbo to turbo.

Yeah I know but I'm trying to save a few £££ where I can ;)

better to pay for delivery from a reputable company dude rather than trying a random. Bills right mate give em a call. They are really friendly and helpful!

OK, so I think this is how it is currently:

V1: Original CR Hybrid K04.

Comes with a 2283 compressor wheel, and non clipped turbine wheel. Works well with no surge on engines with large port heads, and high flowing charge pipework. Flow is the key to success with this turbo. Very fast spool due to non clipped turbine blades.

V2: Second CR Hybrid spec.

Comes with a 2280 compressor wheel, so is slightly smaller than the V1. Also has clipped turbine blades to combat early spool for engines that couldn't ingest the airflow. Was developed to try and combat surging issues on the engines with lesser flowing heads/charge pipework.

V1.2: The hybrid hybrid

An amalgamation of the V1 and V2 turbos, clipped turbine wheel and 2283 compressor wheel. The best parts of the two previous models. Good flow capacity, later spool so less surging issues.

As far as I know, all CR Hybrids now have the wastegate ported. Although the actual build seems to vary from turbo to turbo.

Thanks Welly, Which one did you have fitted???

However I'm having it clipped because I've got a small port head, under Bill's reccomendation.

So the V1.2 is the the one to get for all setups?

No, the Version 1.2 is the best all-rounder.

"V1.2: The hybrid hybrid

An amalgamation of the V1 and V2 turbos, clipped turbine wheel and 2283 compressor wheel. The best parts of the two previous models. Good flow capacity, later spool so less surging issues."

Sent a Email to CR:-

Hello,

I have been following the forums with regards installation and results
of the K04 hybrids supplied by yourselves with great interest.

It seems that the results have been very impressive, but this hasn't it
seems to be without a few issues experienced by a few customers.

So I have got a few questions:-

1) I believe that there are a number of versions.. V1, V2 and V1.2
are all the versions still available? Can you please supply the
specification/characteristics of each.

2) If so, are the different versions better suited to different
setups i.e., small port heads, large port heads, high flow exhaust
manifolds?

3) Due to the high flow rates of these turbo are the wastegates now
being ported to eliminate the boost creep? If so what diameter are they
ported?

4) Are the actuators being supplied setup to enable 'plug and play'
installation

5) When a turbo is supplied to you, is the supplied turbo reworked
or exchanged

6) What are the prices for new and rework/exchange

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for your response

They replied:-

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the enquiry.
I will try to answer your questions if I can.
Briefly, please try to remember that forums can be a great way of enthusiasts helping each other and sharing both knowledge and their love of cars. They are also generally a source of great confusion and unsubstantiated opinion! Lol!!

Ok,
1) We really only supply 1 K04 hybrid. We did do one other turbo with a different compressor wheel to try and help with a particular car, altho the results were inconclusive.
The current hybrid spec uses the billet K06 compressor wheel and a 10'
cutback and enlarged wastegate hole.
2) The above spec without large wastegate and cutback sufficed for many hundreds of cars with a whole variety of engine specs, but with the advent of the 3" inlet tip, it was needed to modify the spec a little to cope with the increase in airflow.
3) Yes, the larger wastegate is to improve boost control and eliminate boost creep.The diameter is 26mm.
4) We can supply the turbo with either std actuator, 0.8Bar, 1.0Bar, or 1.2Bar
5) We can either rework your own unit or supply exchange. The only difference is the price.
6) Rework is £625 plus £15 carriage plus VAT, exchange is £825 plus Hope this helps Cheers Mark Arnold

C R Turbo Engineering

Interesting...

Cheers barks... so the 3" tip needs the wastgate ported or clipped? mine will need to come off anyhow then..

It sounds like it, quite suprising the difference between a rework and an exchange.

Not sure what actuator pressure your would request?

Cheers barks... so the 3" tip needs the wastgate ported or clipped? mine will need to come off anyhow then..

nope.. thats complete and irrelevant ****** and mis-information I'm afraid.
wellys needed its wastegate porting from day #1 with large boost creep.. on silicon TIP.. before 3" TIP... so Mark@ CR is feeding misinformation to you.. How do I know this? I fcuking told him the issues with THEIR turbo... ***..

3" TIP, on ONE car in Ireland, on the original hybrid, unported wastegate, did suffer surge with aggressive boost request between 3k-4krpm, but it gained >20g/s and allowed the compressor to function near its flow capacity, something it has been incapable of prior to the larger TIP. Same turbo on wellys did nto suffer the same issue's however, so overall system was a factor... read more...

A version 2 was discussed, with CR, and me (I went and spent a day there about this very thing)... and Robert in Ireland tried it on his LCR, his having the surge, (where wellys had minimal next to no surge, and was perfectly acceptable), but the V2 unit was slower to spool, and did not hold up the boost as well... Cured the surge however.

Further to this, Roberts LCR's fmic was confirmed as choking flow and having excessive pressure drop across the core... (something I had said for some time when comparing differences between wellys which worked fine, and his which did not). Larger FMIC now and its picked up airflow again and was >250g/s again. The thought however was the different comp wheel which was used on the v2, combined with the aggressive turbine cutback, made for a too slow a spool, and overall lacked the urge of the 2283 version.

this leads it back to v1.2, which is a cutback turbine 2283 comp wheel version, but not 10 degree, but 7 degree is what it should be. and ported wastegate should be std.

Actuator I spec is 9psi-12psi max.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Bill,

So when sending our K04's to CR we should request the V1.2 fitted with 0.8Bar (11.6PSI) actuator.

Then when fitted with all the Stage 2 supporting Mods there should be no problems?

thats the "theory" yes.
supporting mods including injectors etc and map to suit

Reality is, there's still testing being done on these.......
Danes is next one for me.. but I am doing my own k03.2283 version right now on the lupo

Last edited:
Cheers Bill, I have to say im abit confused.com, and also i have no issues yet, but also unmapped for the hybrid,
I had a look at S3gaz,s and his was ported and clipped, and he just asked for an hybrid....
Im still waiting for an high flow manni before i get mine mapped, and while the mannis off ive got a newer hybrid coming that will be ported so i may as well swap while in the area....my old one is not ported.

nope, plugged straight into rail without spacers

Thanks I will get them on order,

It will be interesting to see how Danes car performs as a comparison to Wellys.

The K03 Hybrid should also be a good one for the A3 boys

Cheers Bill, I have to say im abit confused.com, and also i have no issues yet, but also unmapped for the hybrid,
I had a look at S3gaz,s and his was ported and clipped, and he just asked for an hybrid....
Im still waiting for an high flow manni before i get mine mapped, and while the mannis off ive got a newer hybrid coming that will be ported so i may as well swap while in the area....my old one is not ported.

the trouble is CR have been inconsistent, as well as the spec changing as things have been learnt.. (eg: port wastegate, clip turbine, following a couple who reported surge issues) - its a moving goal post
CR just build them.. they dont install or tune them.. just because the comp wheel has a 35lb capable flow, does'nt mean it will realise that power, as they never did... until advent of hi-flow exhaust mani and 3" TIP which allowed the flow..BUT, had a side effect on a couple where surge also came.. Total System is a huge influence on the performance of these. (fmic's, pipe work, pipe size, other bolt on's)

unported = creep, but I bet a lot dont see it as it creeps up to a typical boost level anyhows.