Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Porsche 911 Turbo

Votes: 49 65.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cliveh

quattro in the bones
Reaction score
If you could choose to drive one of the following supercars, on track with some expert tuition, which would it be?

Porsche 911 Turbo

Ferrari 360

I'd choose the Porsche, only because I've driven a Ferrari 360 and I've never driven a Porsche before.
I would suspect that most people would choose the Ferrari in the end though... :racer:

911... but I don't know why... I just would

The 911, I trust Fritz & Gunther with my life more than Mario & Luigi...

I recently did a single seater day at Donnington and the Ferrari's looked loads better,sounded loads better and the people getting out of them had bigger smiles on their faces than the people getting out of the porsche's.

Grew up with porsche's and i love them so gotta be the 911. Wouldn't even consider a ferrari.

Have to be the Porsche, Not driven a F360 but a F355 and I wasnt that impressed, yes it quick and makes a nice noise but nothing in my eyes is as good as a 911 Turbo and they take years to trully master ! 911 Turbo takes my breath away every time I drive them !

Richard

jojo said:
OK, I was wrong, we all would love to drive a 911 Turbo. End of. :racer:

Lol you were :yes: i would proberably end up putting it into a tree backwards though. :arco:

Ferrari. I've not driven the Turbo but a Carrera instead, at a Supercar experience day at Bruntingthorpe (is this the same thing you're going to do?). The 911 was brilliant but minutes later I got into a 360 Spider and it was just stunning. The noise totally dominates the experience; that V8 is just incredible!

I've driven both and out of the 2 the Ferrari is the more engaging experience.
The 911 turbo, though rapid and truly awesome doesn't have the aural excitement and is a little too clinical in it's pace and progress. Remember it has 4wd helping out so it grips and grips way beyong the ability of a driver in a quick circuit tuition experience.
The Ferrari however, is a loud, far more engaging experiece. It feels special from the moment you start the engine and offers a far richer experience in my opinion. Even after 3 or 4 laps you can start to understand what you read in magazines about the adjustability of a chassis etc, the car really alive in your hands. I really enjoyed it and was especially pleased I got landed with the manual rather than the semi auto - the open gate gearbox is something to behold!

For a track experience I'd say the Ferrari wins hands down, it might not be what people would choose if they we're buying there own car for the road, but on a track i'd say it offers the best experience.

Now, if there was a GT3 or even better a GT3RS to choose from you're starting a whole new debate!

Either way it'll be fab - I loved my time in both cars and have it all locked in memory!

Enjoy!

911 first, crash it, then go back for the fezza!:racer:

Ferrari 360 as the sounds of the Ferrari engines is just great much better than the porsche.

Is this just drive once?

If that's the case - Ferrari

If its to own. 911 Turbo 4 For the same reason i drive an S3 and my next car is likely to be an RS/S4! :D

I'd be in the 911 too. I've nothing against Ferraris but I think the Porsche is a lot less 'showy' and I quite like that. I'm not sure which way I'd go if there was a choice of Turbo or Carerra on offer though...

Also, as was said above, I'd prefer to let the Germans handle the experience rather than the Italians because I'd guess that the Porsche is probably screwed-together better; a mate of mine had a 612 Scaglietti for a while and it cost him a fortune in minor repairs to door-handles, ashtrays, trim etc. He eventually got fed up of it and within a few months of it leaving the factory he'd got rid and bought an M3 and a Land Rover!

Regards,

Rob.

Clive dude....
Dont like red cars :no: shizzer ya... driven 355 and not impressed :tocktock:... porker was more alive by half ...... yet more kick out my s4 than both ...... :scared2: porkys my next car :superman:

Ferrari = drug dealer.
Porsche = challenge.

Although I'd agree that the turbo wouldn't be my ideal choice of 911...I'd take a NA over one anyday because you have to work harder.

Although I'd take any 911 over the Ferrari as an ownership proposition...on a one off drive, I can see why the Ferrari appeals...it's easier to drive closer to the limit as things happen more naturally than in the slightly 'odd' way the 911 does it's business.

Surely this poll is based on going out on the track and not looking good at your local Bar? I thought the Ferrari would trounce it for the experience, since they are not exactly common next to the good old 911, but saying that, I don't see many Turbo versions neither!

shineydave said:
Ferrari no doubt, i can drive a Beetle Evo any day of the week by popping down to JCT600

...and I can drive a posh Fiat anyday (anyday that it's not broken down, that is) just by popping into the local Glenvarigill/Murray motors (or whatever it's called this week).

I was in past my local OPC several months ago, admiring a dark metallic red 599 that was parked outside (1st in Scotland apparently) and the owner - an ex 911 owner - was asking if the local OPC could 'repair' his brand new 599 as it's wipers had packed up after 1 week of ownership....and he didn't want to have to drive to Edniburgh to get it repaired. He wasn't too impressed.

Ferrari. Reliable. Yeah right.
There's a lesson there...if it's your own money...stick to German. They just work. (they might leak oil...but they still work! :p )

In saying that...on a track, I'd still take the posh Fiat over the turbo 911.
The 911 turbo isn't really a trackday car, in my mind.
Make it a GT3 vs posh Fiat and all bets are off!

Ming Blue said:
Porsche - they're much more cuter.

WHAT?

porsche-new-911-turbo-side.jpg

That porsche is better looking than this piece of art..?

Ferrari-360-Modena-006.jpg

Have to agree the Ferrari is nicer looking

Must agree with you. There's a white GT3 I see around town and it looks mean as fok!

Sam-K said:
from a guys point of view i'd rather have a better looking car than a cute one.!

...and from a drivers point of view, I'd take the one that's 'better' to drive...more challenging, better engineered, more thrilling, less likely to reveal all it's party tricks in the first hour.

I couldn't give a toss what it looks like...hence I used to own an Integra Type-R...which was never a good looking car.

And i'd rather have the car built by the italians who know what they are doing.. well just look at their racing heritage.?

A challenging car makes it a better drive..? and the fact that it is challenging means it's engineered better? contradict yourself much?

SURELY. a better engineered car is the one that does what you want it to do when you want to do it.?

not the one that is **** over ears in the ditch.. mr porsche?

More thrilling, the perfection of way a ferrari executes its path.. or basically how it gives you that little grin when you are blasting through some beautiful country pass south of france or north of italy? oh and to that equally fantastic soundtrack?

i know which one i'd spend my money on anyday. and that's the one with the prancing horse thanks.

Sam-K said:
And i'd rather have the car built by the italians who know what they are doing.. well just look at their racing heritage.?

Know what they are doing?
Ha...
Right enough.
The Italian car industry over the last 40 years demonstrates that, doesn't it?

...and I forgot. The Germans don't have any racing heritage, do they?

Are you really so young and naive that you believe that crap you've written?

A challenging car makes it a better drive..? and the fact that it is challenging means it's engineered better? contradict yourself much?

Engineering and challenging to drive are completely unrelated. Surely that's easy to understand?

A challenging car is one that will reward you for trying hard...one that will take years to reveal what it's capable of...not show you in the first 30 mins.
So to me, in order not to get bored, yes...that's better.

A well engineered car is one you can use every day, all weathers...and it won't not start, have the electrics pack up or behave in a tempremental manner...hell, properly engineered means you can change the drive belts without taking the engine out of the car and it lightening your wallet by £2500 in so doing.

SURELY. a better engineered car is the one that does what you want it to do when you want to do it.?

No...
The better engineered car is one that works. All the time. Even in the wet...

The better handling car is the one that does what you want it to, when you want it to...and I can't see an issue with either to be honest.

not the one that is **** over ears in the ditch.. mr porsche?

You really are king of the pointless comments, as anyone who has driven any 911 after about 1985 will confirm...
you only leave the road backwards if you lift off mid bend...and only a fool devoid of all driving skill would do that...anyone who's driven a recent 911 will confirm that 'normal' people will have no problem with the rear engined handling characteristics.

Oh, and if you knew anything about weight distribution, you'd know a mid engined car is more likely to spin as it will pivot around the point of maximum weight (the middle) more easily than a front or rear heavy car.

More thrilling, the perfection of way a ferrari executes its path.. or basically how it gives you that little grin when you are blasting through some beautiful country pass south of france or north of italy? oh and to that equally fantastic soundtrack?

Not driven a 911 then?
I can assure you it executes its path in an equally perfect way.

The soundtrack is subjective too...
Whilst I enjoy the wail of a flat-plane V8, I don't see a flat 6 as any lesser a sound.

i know which one i'd spend my money on anyday. and that's the one with the prancing horse thanks.

Which one?
They both have a prancing horse on?
The same horse...

When you are in the position to buy one...perhaps the ideology will fade slightly and reality will set in (running costs, maintenance, usability, reliability)...and you'll see sense. :moa: