Which car to get?

shroom

Reaction score
Hi, need your expert opinions on this. I'm looking to get a new build 2.0T Sportback Black Edition (FWD) either manual or auto (don't know which one). Now adding in the usual optional extras on top (including sat nav), the total cost was getting into S3 SB territory (without the sat nav)!

I thought would it be feasible to get an S3 and retrofit the RNS-E at a later date? Spoke to an Audi Parts guy, about this and he told me it was NOT possible to retrofit the RNS-E unit with these newer A3 models! Is he correct in this? I didn't think there was a great difference between MY10 and below.

So I'm a little in limbo as to what car to get, Black Edition with everything on it or a standard S3. What should I do? If I'm honest, I'd love an S3 but don't need it as I think a 2.0T would be more than adequate (60% motorway driving) but as the price difference is close why not? :think:

Cheers

Hi

I think thats a load of bullsh*t mate! Think one of the guys with a facelift A3 MY09 retrofit RNS-E. So cant see it being a problem with MY10. You can either do it yourself or a company can. Or i'm sure a member would fit it for you. I'm pretty sure you can retrofit RNS-E in MY10 S3, if im wrong pretty sure some one would correct me. But I'd just get the S3 and retrofit it mate alot cheaper than putting it in as a option. Dealers probably dont like it as its cheaper.

Ashley

Hi There
Not sure if you are buying this car from main dealer but if you are and the s3 has not been discounted atleast 3k from list price then i would tell them you want the sat/mmi in with the deal or you will walk, Chances are you could buy the s3 online and save enough to add the satnav/mmi and still pay the same or less than what the main dealer wants for a stock s3.

Even though Audi wont admit to it, It's a buyers market at the moment.

Ian.

Hi There
Not sure if you are buying this car from main dealer but if you are and the s3 has not been discounted atleast 3k from list price then i would tell them you want the sat/mmi in with the deal or you will walk, Chances are you could buy the s3 online and save enough to add the satnav/mmi and still pay the same or less than what the main dealer wants for a stock s3.

Even though Audi wont admit to it, It's a buyers market at the moment.

Ian.

ditto

I just retrofitted the sat-nav into my '08 sportback...

The person you asked might have been thinking of the OLD days of single-din head units... that was a huge pain in the danglers which required tugging out half the dashboard, but I had signal through my Sat-Nav (RNS-E) in TWO MINUTES after pulling the old (double-din) concert 2+ head unit.

Seriously... two minutes. "Plug, input code, play" it really WAS that simple.

If you have a double-din head unit with the quadlock connector, that's all you do, apart from plugging in a VAG-com to tell it about whatever peripherals it has (like ipod interface, CD changer, sattelite radio, whatever).

Keith

I was looking into a new 2.0T Sportback, but after a lot of searching settled on a used version. I've bought new cars for a long time until now.

If you can find a really nice used one, you can save some serious cash. Mine's under 3 years old with loads of options and only 9k on the clock. A high quality car like the A3 will wear very well, especially with leather. Granted, I don't get 3 years of warranty, but hopefully the Audi used programme 1-year warranty should catch-out any nasties.

I've owned more performance-orientated cars before the A3 and, while the 2.0T Quattro is capable, it's more of a smoothie. I'm very happy with my 4WD Golf GTi in a suit!

If i was going to spend 60% of my time on the motorway i would have a fully loaded 20T over an S3 any day. Lets face it, they are both going to cruise at speeds that will lose your licence so why not do it surrounded by toys :)

Get crooz as well...excellent bit of kit,

Thanks for the responses so far. Much appreciated! I did think the Audi guy was telling a little white lie, maybe to get me to have the RNS-E installed from the factory and not anywhere else.

As this car will be used by the Mrs as well, she likes her toys to play with and wasn't too keen on not having the luxuries around her if we went for the S3 (and it would only be the stock S3, no options added to it). So maybe the pendulum is swinging towards the 2.0T now...

We looked at used 2.0T SB but not a lot of face-lifted models around.

Also considering the S tronic gearbox but read somewhere (may have been the TT forum) if you accelerate hard from a junction from stationary, the car doesn't actually move until after a second or two (with the pedal still depressed)! It's as if it's still choosing a gear. :uhm: But obviously we'll need to test drive one to see for ourselves.

If you are at a junction the thing is already in first........if its in drive. I have DSG and i love it, in fact i wouldn't ever go back to manual thats for sure !!. You have auto when you want, a sequential gear stick shift if your hands get bored, paddle shift if you want to play and sport if you want to test your rev limiter :) what more could you want ?

Think you may be wiser to put your money into a S3 rather than loading up a 20T. S3 will hold it's value better and all the extras on the 20T will be rendered pretty much worthless as soon as you drive it away. I am sure you will be able to retro fit the sat nav no problem, sound like sales ******** to me.

Mark

Last edited:
Also considering the S tronic gearbox but read somewhere (may have been the TT forum) if you accelerate hard from a junction from stationary, the car doesn't actually move until after a second or two (with the pedal still depressed)! It's as if it's still choosing a gear. :uhm: But obviously we'll need to test drive one to see for ourselves.

I experienced this when test driving a 20T before I got mine, it had DSG and the time delay from pressing your foot down and anything happening was very unnerving, I did not like it at all. I have driven 2 other cars with DSG, both being TT's 3.2 and a TTS,although the TTS may have been S-tronic, anyway it did not happen with either of these cars.

Mark

Think you may be wiser to put your money into a S3 rather than loading up a 20T. S3 will hold it's value better and all the extras on the 20T will be rendered pretty much worthless as soon as you drive it away. I am sure you will be able to retro fit the sat nav no problem, sound like sales ******** to me.

Mark

Personally i would buy the car i wanted now.....not what i think someone else might buy off me in a couple of years time....

Hi Shroom
I agree with Paddy on two accounts if you going to spend 60% on the motorway you not going to see much diff in a A3 to an S3… and

Personally i would buy the car i wanted now.....not what i think someone else might buy off me in a couple of years time....

Choose the car YOU want!! good luck

ive got a 2.0t qauttro and with a cai and had a stage one remap trial its awesome quick enough for me anyhow , but if i could afford the s3 sportback i would choose that and retrofit some stuff...........

I am sure someone would buy the car off you whatever you buy, my point was it's future value.

Mark

60% of the time the S3 will do everything a 20T will on the M Way, just a bit faster.

The other 40% of the time the S3 will be a laugh in all weathers......just without the trinkets.

I am of course, 100% biased.

Both fine cars though, not a bad dilemna to have.

cheers
Paul

Check out the dealer's for ex-demo's (both S3 and others), I didn't in the end, but its a useful bargaining tool.

I'd say, test drive both (though you'll be lucky to find an S3 to test). But consider insurance, economy as well as having that really nice Quattro system for the wet and/or icy weather and Xenons are good too if the're not std on the 2.0?

We had this problem when we first got a TT 180 + options or 225, in the end we went for the higher model, but Audi (as all dealers) price their cars cleverly to try and catch people in this "next model up" trap - sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes not. Also you should be able to haggle more on the 2.0 than the S3.

Paul

Last edited: