1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which car shampoo?

Simonwhite2000 Jul 16, 2019

1. Simonwhite2000

Simonwhite2000 2017 S5 Coupe Daytona Grey

I have always used Meguiars Gold Class or UWW but wondered if there is anything better out there? My S5 has just had its annual top up detail and coatings reapplied so a good time to look at other options.
    I read both GC and UWW leave a residue on the car that isnt great if you have any form or protection coating applied. Not sure how much substance there is to that.
    Recommendations? What is everyone else using?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. V6_Man

V6_Man Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Audi S4 Audi A3 Black Edition quattro

I use CarPro Reset on both my coated and non-coated cars and cannot fault it. It is specifically for coated cars. I used to use Megs Gold Class but have not for the last few years. Another good one is Gyeon Bathe Essence.

@Bristle Hound has also recommended Car Chem Shampoo but I am not sure if it is safe on coated cars.

Audi Bairn likes this.
  4. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! S3 Saloon Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue

Gyeon Essence,Gtechniq Gwash......list is endless to be honest...but Gyeon Essence is my fave at the moment and will be for the foreseeable future

V6_Man and Audi Bairn like this.
  5. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Team V8 Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S7 A7 Owner Group Black Edition

I usually go with whatever the current coating manufacturer recommends.

Im currently coated with Gtechniq, so stick with their shampoo. A single capful in a bucket lets me wash the who car when needed.

6. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team V8 Audi S5 S tronic

I had the same meguiers shampoo and thought I'd upgrade,I went with the top of the pops one from detailing world recommendation……upshot is I've gone back to meguiers

CHEZ and X3man like this.
  7. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

I currently use Reset (not every wash) or BH Auto wash, or Gyeon Bathe Essence

Valet Pro Concentrated quality too, used on my new car detail

8. jassyo06

Yeah but the coating manufacturers ain't going to endorse another coating brand...are they....

X3man and V6_Man like this.
  9. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Team V8 Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S7 A7 Owner Group Black Edition

Obviously....

Buy you would think/hope that their products are specifically developed to compliment each other...

10. V6_Man

V6_Man Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Audi S4 Audi A3 Black Edition quattro

Why would you or should you.

11. V6_Man

But that's where the issue lies. If it is Gyeon/CarPro then their products are pretty much identifical. It is difficult to say the same about others though. And they seem to have 'different' chemical compositions making it 'arder for us lot.

jassyo06 and RAF_S7 like this.
  12. Avatar

13. X3man

Watched an interesting video the other day stating that coated cars should only use top up products recommended by the coating so Cure for Gyeon, Reload for CarPro CQuartz. Obviously many
    Of these are similar or interchangeable but the main point was to NOT use QD’s, waxes etc as clogs up coating

I personally think depends on cleaning regime, but I am tending to favour using just Cure/Reload for my Gyeon coating and is working well for me....I expect...repeat...expect to be shot down in flames here

V6_Man likes this.
  14. V6_Man

I am waiting for "someone's" comments and the fireworks thereafter as well

X3man likes this.
  15. jassyo06

Aye it's like a birds face wipes.. does the same brand of moisturiser compliment the wipes.. lol

Yer paying for quality of soap.. basically like l said av used a lot of shampoos all good,except for gyeon bathe....it stripped any coating l applied within a couple of washes
    Angelwax produce some really great shampoos there self drying shampoo is great for a summer wash..when the suns out,l like the gyeon essence because it's easier to pour out small amounts from the bottle because it's thick....l ain't one of these guys that measure by the ml ......or with a syringe

V6_Man likes this.
  16. DW81

DW81 Well-Known Member

Same as you mate, cqaurtz uk 3.0 coated, and topped up after each wash with P&S bead maker, fantastic combo in my experience of use. Shampoo is the bilt hamber one

X3man likes this.
  17. jassyo06

Common sense tells you not to use a wax on top of a ceramic coating...any "quartz/Siloxane"based qd will do the job....

Ps... most folks that ceramic coat their cars ain't into detailing "Fact" especially those who pay somebody else to do it for them....Wash n Go...that's the principle behind a ceramic....
    mate....

V6_Man and X3man like this.
  18. jassyo06

Answer buy the best shampoo you can afford...no maintenance wash shampoo will hinder the properties of the coating....peeps that get a coating.... Molly cuddle them....there is no to....

19. X3man

What complete b*llocks! People who ceramic aren’t into detailing? Really?

Mate

Bryant1998 and cuke2u like this.
  20. jassyo06

Yes in general...you got Fran to do yours didnt you...THEN...courtesy of this forum...you added the knowledge to do it on yer own.....

21. X3man

I got Fran to initially coat my cars, that is not to say I wasn't into keeping them clean myself.
    Those that get detailers to do maintenance washes etc, I get aren't into detailing but like a nice car.

Agree I have and do learn loads on here, but this isn't about me, I was disagreeing about your sweeping statement that people that ceramic their cars aren't into detailing. You yourself have pondered and bought enough ceramic kits, so aren't you into detailing?

Pook likes this.
  22. Adam14

Adam14 Well-Known Member Team Glacier Team V6 Audi S5 Coupe

I have to agree with you mate, I'm still pondering getting my car ceramic coated, might not happen till next year. Whole reason I'd like to do it is to keep the car looking like new and sure it makes the cleaning easier which IMO means you can spend more time on the "details" such as the interior, engine bay or whatever.

Pook and X3man like this.
  23. SPIKE_S3

SPIKE_S3 Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Team Daytona

Check out Forensic Detailing on YouTube.....there was a recent test carried out on twenty shampoos. Interesting results, and good to see my current fav BH auto wash was third. Gyeon got second spot, so might try that next time I need a new order placed.

X3man likes this.
  24. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Some of us haven't the environment, the time or the expenditure to go the whole detailing hog either. But feel the need to protect their paintwork as much as they can, then just keep it preserved.
    Each to their own...

25. S32B

S32B Well-Known Member Audi A5 S tronic Coupe

I saw that one, I'm in the process of using everything I have at the moment. Once it's all gone I'll be moving over to B&H for anything I want! I use their Auto Foam via a garden pump spray, then jet wash it off...it works better than anything else I have tried including the Citrus pre wash.

X3man and Adam14 like this.
  26. SPIKE_S3

Any experience I’ve had to date with Bilt Hamber products has been excellent. Hard to look past them......safety blanket springs to mind!

Adam14, X3man, DW81 and 1 other person like this.
  27. X3man

Spot on mate

Adam14 likes this.
  28. pxr5

pxr5 Active Member Team Mythos TDi A7 Owner Group Black Edition quattro S-line owners group

Shampoos I use:

Summer - Adams
    Winter - Car Chem 1900:1

Bristle Hound and X3man like this.
  29. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member Team Phantom Audi S4

I'm using Bilt Hamber Auto Wash at the moment with an intermittent wash with Carpro Reset. Works for me. YMMV.

Bristle Hound and X3man like this.
  30. X3man

A good combo those Scotty

scotty76 likes this.
  31. jassyo06

"TIME" Consumption...on detailing...there's a "GOOD" point and in your case @Adam14 with a white painted car a Ceramic Coating offers no significant gloss improvements over any other quality lsp...bar less work intensive

@X3man in his case has a Black car and has a dirt track road for ingress/egress from his home so that makes sense to apply a ceramic coating

I STILL..standby my assumption that most peeps that GET a ceramic coating applied to their cars are NOT in to detailing...because they Pay others to DO it...for a few reasons,love their cars but dont have the time for to detail it...fair enough,Too busy to learn how to detail a car correctly.
    Think the coating applied will ENDURE til they sell the car on..NOT,think a ceramic coating will look better than a car without a ceramic NOT.

Its a MILD shield to Protect and maintain the paint from the NON/Novice detailer harming the paint.....

32. Adam14

Adam14 Well-Known Member Team Glacier Team V6 Audi S5 Coupe

Wasn't considering a ceramic coating to enhance the gloss mate. Was purely saying I was considering it with the amount of mileage and that I do with work.

For the time being I'm sticking with waxes on the car.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

33. Avatar

34. X3man

Fair comments mate, and as you say, I have a black car and a cr@p dirt road.

On Wed night, I got the snow foam out, rinsed off with jet wash then rinse with 0ppm. Next morning she was pretty blinging tbf...result

scotty76 likes this.
  35. Pook

Pook Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue S3 Saloon Black Edition

There is no definition that needs to be upheld as to whether someone is detailing their car or just cleaning it. Suggesting ceramic coating is not for detailers is crazy, I’d actually suggest the opposite. It’s like saying a professional golfer shouldn’t have the best clubs because they are the best at using them. You don’t have to be able to use a DA or whatever to be classed as a detailer. FACT.

cuke2u and X3man like this.
  36. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

V6_Man likes this.
  37. SPIKE_S3

X3man likes this.