Which car shampoo?

Simonwhite2000

840i GC
Reaction score
I have always used Meguiars Gold Class or UWW but wondered if there is anything better out there? My S5 has just had its annual top up detail and coatings reapplied so a good time to look at other options.
I read both GC and UWW leave a residue on the car that isnt great if you have any form or protection coating applied. Not sure how much substance there is to that.
Recommendations? What is everyone else using?

I use CarPro Reset on both my coated and non-coated cars and cannot fault it. It is specifically for coated cars. I used to use Megs Gold Class but have not for the last few years. Another good one is Gyeon Bathe Essence.

@Bristle Hound has also recommended Car Chem Shampoo but I am not sure if it is safe on coated cars.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Gyeon Essence,Gtechniq Gwash......list is endless to be honest...but Gyeon Essence is my fave at the moment and will be for the foreseeable future

Reactions: V6_Man and Audi Bairn
I usually go with whatever the current coating manufacturer recommends.

Im currently coated with Gtechniq, so stick with their shampoo. A single capful in a bucket lets me wash the who car when needed.

I had the same meguiers shampoo and thought I'd upgrade,I went with the top of the pops one from detailing world recommendation……upshot is I've gone back to meguiers

Reactions: CHEZ and NevMan
I currently use Reset (not every wash) or BH Auto wash, or Gyeon Bathe Essence

Valet Pro Concentrated quality too, used on my new car detail

I usually go with whatever the current coating manufacturer recommends.

Im currently coated with Gtechniq, so stick with their shampoo. A single capful in a bucket lets me wash the who car when needed.
Yeah but the coating manufacturers ain't going to endorse another coating brand...are they....

Reactions: NevMan and V6_Man
Yeah but the coating manufacturers ain't going to endorse another coating brand...are they....
Obviously....

Buy you would think/hope that their products are specifically developed to compliment each other...

Obviously....

Buy you would think/hope that their products are specifically developed to compliment each other...

But that's where the issue lies. If it is Gyeon/CarPro then their products are pretty much identifical. It is difficult to say the same about others though. And they seem to have 'different' chemical compositions making it 'arder for us lot.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and RAF_S7
Watched an interesting video the other day stating that coated cars should only use top up products recommended by the coating so Cure for Gyeon, Reload for CarPro CQuartz. Obviously many
Of these are similar or interchangeable but the main point was to NOT use QD’s, waxes etc as clogs up coating

I personally think depends on cleaning regime, but I am tending to favour using just Cure/Reload for my Gyeon coating and is working well for me....I expect...repeat...expect to be shot down in flames here

Reactions: V6_Man
Watched an interesting video the other day stating that coated cars should only use top up products recommended by the coating so Cure for Gyeon, Reload for CarPro CQuartz. Obviously many
Of these are similar or interchangeable but the main point was to NOT use QD’s, waxes etc as clogs up coating

I personally think depends on cleaning regime, but I am tending to favour using just Cure/Reload for my Gyeon coating and is working well for me....I expect...repeat...expect to be shot down in flames here

I am waiting for "someone's" comments and the fireworks thereafter as well

Reactions: NevMan
But that's where the issue lies. If it is Gyeon/CarPro then their products are pretty much identifical. It is difficult to say the same about others though. And they seem to have 'different' chemical compositions making it 'arder for us lot.
Aye it's like a birds face wipes.. does the same brand of moisturiser compliment the wipes.. lol

Yer paying for quality of soap.. basically like l said av used a lot of shampoos all good,except for gyeon bathe....it stripped any coating l applied within a couple of washes
Angelwax produce some really great shampoos there self drying shampoo is great for a summer wash..when the suns out,l like the gyeon essence because it's easier to pour out small amounts from the bottle because it's thick....l ain't one of these guys that measure by the ml ......or with a syringe

Reactions: V6_Man

Same as you mate, cqaurtz uk 3.0 coated, and topped up after each wash with P&S bead maker, fantastic combo in my experience of use. Shampoo is the bilt hamber one

Common sense tells you not to use a wax on top of a ceramic coating...any "quartz/Siloxane"based qd will do the job....

Ps... most folks that ceramic coat their cars ain't into detailing "Fact" especially those who pay somebody else to do it for them....Wash n Go...that's the principle behind a ceramic....
mate....

Reactions: V6_Man and NevMan
I have always used Meguiars Gold Class or UWW but wondered if there is anything better out there? My S5 has just had its annual top up detail and coatings reapplied so a good time to look at other options.
I read both GC and UWW leave a residue on the car that isnt great if you have any form or protection coating applied. Not sure how much substance there is to that.
Recommendations? What is everyone else using?

Answer buy the best shampoo you can afford...no maintenance wash shampoo will hinder the properties of the coating....peeps that get a coating.... Molly cuddle them....there is no to....

Common sense tells you not to use a wax on top of a ceramic coating...any "quartz/Siloxane"based qd will do the job....

Ps... most folks that ceramic coat their cars ain't into detailing "Fact" especially those who pay somebody else to do it for them....Wash n Go...that's the principle behind a ceramic....
mate....

What complete b*llocks! People who ceramic aren’t into detailing? Really?

Mate

Reactions: Bryant1998 and cuke2u
What complete b*llocks! People who ceramic aren’t into detailing? Really?

Mate
Yes in general...you got Fran to do yours didnt you...THEN...courtesy of this forum...you added the knowledge to do it on yer own.....

Yes in general...you got Fran to do yours didnt you...THEN...courtesy of this forum...you added the knowledge to do it on yer own.....

I got Fran to initially coat my cars, that is not to say I wasn't into keeping them clean myself.
Those that get detailers to do maintenance washes etc, I get aren't into detailing but like a nice car.

Agree I have and do learn loads on here, but this isn't about me, I was disagreeing about your sweeping statement that people that ceramic their cars aren't into detailing. You yourself have pondered and bought enough ceramic kits, so aren't you into detailing?

Reactions: Pook
, I was disagreeing about your sweeping statement that people that ceramic their cars aren't into detailing.
I have to agree with you mate, I'm still pondering getting my car ceramic coated, might not happen till next year. Whole reason I'd like to do it is to keep the car looking like new and sure it makes the cleaning easier which IMO means you can spend more time on the "details" such as the interior, engine bay or whatever.

Reactions: Pook and NevMan
Check out Forensic Detailing on YouTube.....there was a recent test carried out on twenty shampoos. Interesting results, and good to see my current fav BH auto wash was third. Gyeon got second spot, so might try that next time I need a new order placed.

I have to agree with you mate, I'm still pondering getting my car ceramic coated, might not happen till next year. Whole reason I'd like to do it is to keep the car looking like new and sure it makes the cleaning easier which IMO means you can spend more time on the "details" such as the interior, engine bay or whatever.
Some of us haven't the environment, the time or the expenditure to go the whole detailing hog either. But feel the need to protect their paintwork as much as they can, then just keep it preserved.
Each to their own...

Reactions: SiPie, Bryant1998, NevMan and 1 other person
Check out Forensic Detailing on YouTube.....there was a recent test carried out on twenty shampoos. Interesting results, and good to see my current fav BH auto wash was third. Gyeon got second spot, so might try that next time I need a new order placed.
I saw that one, I'm in the process of using everything I have at the moment. Once it's all gone I'll be moving over to B&H for anything I want! I use their Auto Foam via a garden pump spray, then jet wash it off...it works better than anything else I have tried including the Citrus pre wash.

Reactions: NevMan and Adam14
I saw that one, I'm in the process of using everything I have at the moment. Once it's all gone I'll be moving over to B&H for anything I want! I use their Auto Foam via a garden pump spray, then jet wash it off...it works better than anything else I have tried including the Citrus pre wash.
Any experience I’ve had to date with Bilt Hamber products has been excellent. Hard to look past them......safety blanket springs to mind!

Reactions: Adam14, NevMan, DW81 and 1 other person

Spot on mate

Reactions: Adam14
Shampoos I use:

Summer - Adams
Winter - Car Chem 1900:1

Reactions: Bristle Hound and NevMan
I'm using Bilt Hamber Auto Wash at the moment with an intermittent wash with Carpro Reset. Works for me. YMMV.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and NevMan

"TIME" Consumption...on detailing...there's a "GOOD" point and in your case @Adam14 with a white painted car a Ceramic Coating offers no significant gloss improvements over any other quality lsp...bar less work intensive

@X3man in his case has a Black car and has a dirt track road for ingress/egress from his home so that makes sense to apply a ceramic coating

I STILL..standby my assumption that most peeps that GET a ceramic coating applied to their cars are NOT in to detailing...because they Pay others to DO it...for a few reasons,love their cars but dont have the time for to detail it...fair enough,Too busy to learn how to detail a car correctly.
Think the coating applied will ENDURE til they sell the car on..NOT,think a ceramic coating will look better than a car without a ceramic NOT.

Its a MILD shield to Protect and maintain the paint from the NON/Novice detailer harming the paint.....

"TIME" Consumption...on detailing...there's a "GOOD" point and in your case @Adam14 with a white painted car a Ceramic Coating offers no significant gloss improvements over any other quality lsp...bar less work intensive

@X3man in his case has a Black car and has a dirt track road for ingress/egress from his home so that makes sense to apply a ceramic coating

I STILL..standby my assumption that most peeps that GET a ceramic coating applied to their cars are NOT in to detailing...because they Pay others to DO it...for a few reasons,love their cars but dont have the time for to detail it...fair enough,Too busy to learn how to detail a car correctly.
Think the coating applied will ENDURE til they sell the car on..NOT,think a ceramic coating will look better than a car without a ceramic NOT.

Its a MILD shield to Protect and maintain the paint from the NON/Novice detailer harming the paint.....
Wasn't considering a ceramic coating to enhance the gloss mate. Was purely saying I was considering it with the amount of mileage and that I do with work.

For the time being I'm sticking with waxes on the car.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fair comments mate, and as you say, I have a black car and a cr@p dirt road.

On Wed night, I got the snow foam out, rinsed off with jet wash then rinse with 0ppm. Next morning she was pretty blinging tbf...result

Reactions: scotty76
There is no definition that needs to be upheld as to whether someone is detailing their car or just cleaning it. Suggesting ceramic coating is not for detailers is crazy, I’d actually suggest the opposite. It’s like saying a professional golfer shouldn’t have the best clubs because they are the best at using them. You don’t have to be able to use a DA or whatever to be classed as a detailer. FACT.

Reactions: cuke2u and NevMan
I know I’m reviving an old thread but has anything changed in the 4 years since this written? I had my car ceramic coated (the first time ever) and find that it’s easier to wash and keeps cleaner for longer. I’ve been using Auto Smarts Duet, as I had some in the garage and have just ordered the BH auto wash from Slims as I’ve been using their snow foam. Still a good choice?

BH is still a good product and a good snow foam.

As for have things moved on. The science has certainly moved on and many people have now moved on to using rinseless wash products like ONR for the final wash. You can still do pre-wash with things like citrus washes and snow foam if the car is dirty.

How to rinseless wash
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2JlQoYpRpE&pp=ygUOcmluc2VsZXNzIHdhc2g%3D

Why the two bucket method is no longer needed with rinseless
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ9EJx2Lp8w

Reactions: Kevmoz