Which bulbs?? Headlights and sidelights

DALE_AVANT

Reaction score
Hi All

What are the latest options for headlight/sidelight combos?

Looking for a white (not blue or yellow) beam

Hi All

What are the latest options for headlight/sidelight combos?

Looking for a white (not blue or yellow) beam

H7 Halogen bulbs for main and dipped beam.

Anything else in the UK looks like, under the new MOT rules, will be an instant failure, unless OEM with washers and self levelling..

They can see if they are Halogen by the start up, looking from the front of the headlight....

LED's are instant light... HID's are a delayed ignition light source which takes a few seconds to reach full brightness...

Last edited:
Anyone tried the new Osram Night Breaker Laser bulbs in H7?

Yep, they are very good...

Too bright for dipped beam but I get about 150M on main beam and the vis is excellent!!

Well worth the price, and my ones are the 150% version.

Not that they were in the car for MOT you know.... :yahoo:

H7's were tested some time ago by Auto Express..

Best car headlight bulbs

1. Philips RacingVision
2. Ring Xenon130
3. GE Megalight Ultra +130
4. Bosch Gigalight Plus 120
5. Osram Night Breaker Unlimited
6. Philips X-tremeVision +130
7. Twenty20 daylight120
8. Osram Night Breaker Laser
9. M-tech Powertec Platinum

Reactions: mattyboyc
Last edited:
I've had Osrams, Philips and LED sidelights; Osrams and Philips don't have much difference between them in terms of light performance, they are a bit better than stock but new bulbs will always look better than old either way. I know you said your not after a blue/yellow beam but I'd recommend getting the bluest legal variant of whatever brand you go for as they won't look blue in the slightest on the car and the "white" varients generally either have a tint of yellow from the get go or turn yellow over time. Cheaper blue bulbs look blue and tacky but Philips and Osram you wouldn't even know they were marketed as blue when installed. I've only had cheap LED sidelights which ended up flickering and dying, one thing I will mention is once you have LED's in one part you'll want them in all over to make the bulbs match up, they got me in a habbit of using just sidelights with no full beam/fogs as I didn't like the look of them all together. Another thing which you may well already be aware of is make sure you don't touch the end of the bulbs when fitting as this will reduce the life and I did this before I knew and the bulbs died well before their ratings.

So yeah just to sum up my own bulb playing experiences; in all my car's I now just run the bluest legal Philips/Osram (whatever's cheapest at the time) bulbs in all sockets.

As above the halogen bulbs do yellow off , so a 3700K will look 3500K given time as I've found too .

Choose a Philips 4000K LED sidelight with a 4300-5000K dipped halogen .

The only trouble with using anything over 5000k is, even though they look a blue ish bright white, the brightness is not transferred to the beam that is projected along the road...

The lack of light projected is actually quite alarming.

Even stock halogens provide more forward vision...

I have gone for 55W HID Dipped, Night breaker Extreme or Laser (I can't remember which) 150% main* and the dreaded Halfrauds 501 W5W sides, and for fogs, H1 HID...

LED reverse is about as useless as a candle in a cornflakes packet! Stick with TF Bulbs there...

* The 150% were off road only (as usual) and were sold as limited life due to the extra brightness. I have a set of 130% as a replacement until I can locate another 150 set should they blow.

Last edited:
H7 Halogen bulbs for main and dipped beam.

Anything else in the UK looks like, under the new MOT rules, will be an instant failure, unless OEM with washers and self levelling..

This has been the same scaremongery story since I've been in short trousers... Can't see it ever being reinforced aslong as you are running projectors.

Reactions: DrStrange and DieselJake
This has been the same scaremongery story since I've been in short trousers... Can't see it ever being reinforced aslong as you are running projectors.

Yes, let’s not resurrect this argument.

Reactions: jd26
No, it's not the same scaremongery at all...

The latest MOT regs have changed somewhat and where there was a grey area on a lot of things, many of these have been removed in the latest update.

I recently spent a full three days with the D&VSA and from what learned, there are a lot of changes to come. Some of the 'exemptions' have gone and some of the 'turn a blind eye' items are at the forefront and if they don't comply, then its a fail!

One of the main issues are headlights and the previous lack of clear cut 'rules' that are not ambiguous have gone. Light pattern, correct light units, bulbs, HIDs, fitment of washers etc. are all under scrutiny for the test.

You can thank the idiotic boy racers who have thrown silly coloured 1000 watt lights in their 'extensions' blinding everyone without a care, and have annoyed the wrong people...

Hopefully, the retro fit market wont suffer too much, and we can still make changes to out cars for the better, without Brussels or whoever are pulling the strings overall, preventing us from doing so.

Good job mine passed last week with my S4 headlights, I wouldn’t mind betting it’s a long time before we start seeing any of our members failing.

No, it's not the same scaremongery at all...

The latest MOT regs have changed somewhat and where there was a grey area on a lot of things, many of these have been removed in the latest update.

I recently spent a full three days with the D&VSA and from what learned, there are a lot of changes to come. Some of the 'exemptions' have gone and some of the 'turn a blind eye' items are at the forefront and if they don't comply, then its a fail!

One of the main issues are headlights and the previous lack of clear cut 'rules' that are not ambiguous have gone. Light pattern, correct light units, bulbs, HIDs, fitment of washers etc. are all under scrutiny for the test.

You can thank the idiotic boy racers who have thrown silly coloured 1000 watt lights in their 'extensions' blinding everyone without a care, and have annoyed the wrong people...

Hopefully, the retro fit market wont suffer too much, and we can still make changes to out cars for the better, without Brussels or whoever are pulling the strings overall, preventing us from doing so.

So what are the dickheads gonna do about an Euro 3 VAG with a default 3.00 smoke opacity mean value pass that has another manufacturer's 'fake' emissions scandal 0.6 on the VIN sticker and will be tested to pass at 0.6 which is just a bit higher than a Euro 5 & 6 dpf equipped ?

I was told the changes to the lighting rules were to be implemented from this April onwards...

I can't comment on the emissions side as they were 'still under discussion'. A pure guess would be to revert to the previous permitted figures until a solution was found, but, as I said, that would be a complete guess...

May 20th is rules change .

2018 02 03 071751

So I'm in this position to.

Aside from the recommendation lists, anyone personal used any h7 halogen bulbs that are very good / led h7 bulbs that are safe orrrr hid kit recommendations along with where you mounted ballasts ??

Thanks !!