Which bits of the geometry can and cannot be adjusted?

dougie175

Reaction score
In a few weeks time I will be sending my car for a full geometry setup after lowering it on coilovers.

Im just wondering what can and cant be adjusted as standard?

If there anything that the coilovers will have changed about the geometry that cannot be corrected as standard? If so how would I go about getting these back to the correct levels?

Thanks

well if you have lowered it without adjustable rear tie bars, you will not ba able to adjust the camber.

The front lower ball joints are on sliders. Got a bit of adjustment on the rear toe too.

Sounds like some adjustable rear tie bars are a must then, however they do seem very expensive! Is there a cheaper manufacturer making them?

Im not so much interested in amazing handling myself, I dont want it to be dangerous handling by any means, but tyre wear is what I am really interested in as I do 250-300 miles a week and cant afford to be scrubbing off tyres needlessly!

If you were in my position as a relatively steady driver who never asks anything of the car round corners and such, only lowering for the aesthetics and wants to make the tyres last as long as possible what would you purchase to help setup the geometry exact?

Thanks

The camber doesn't alter when lowering the rears on FWD Dave, FWD A3's (any Mk4 chassis) etc use a beam axle and don't have independent suspension...

A3's don't come with the adjustable from camber either...

<tuffty/>

In short mate, nothing is adjustable apart from tracking on an A3!

You can undo the rear axle and centralise it to the shell, and you can move the subframe about at the front to equalise the castor and camber, but none of them are adjustable at all.

As said in the other thread, don't pay out for a '4 wheel alignment' as it's all a con!

Ahh assumed we were talking s3. You shouldn't have many problems then. So yea a simple track will do the job.

just to clarify, rear camber and toe CAN be altered, but not 'adjusted' as such. the only way to change it if you really want to it by way of camber and toe shims, these are fitted by removing teh stub axle from the beam and putting it back with shims under it to atler the angle at which it sits. I'm looking to do this on the track car to get the rear wheels a bit less toe in