Robert-

Reaction score
Hi,

I am searching for my first Audi A4 and so far narrowed it down to two versions. I have a few questions if anyone can shed any light.

2016/17 A4 S line 3.0 TDI Quattro 218 bh with under 20k on the clock vs 2017 A4 S line 2.0 TDI 190 bh under 20k are the two of interest. Any input would be great.

Main questions:

• What are the differences between the two in regards to MPG (Mainy urban driving on a daily basis.) I suspect the 3.0 may drink a little more but checking online only a one or two MPG or so more than the 2.0 . What do these cars truly do on MPG ?
  • Is there a way to verify the mileage ?
  • I would prefer to buy from Audi via the used approved. But haggling seems to have died out in the UK from last time I bought a car.
  • Are there any pro's and con's that are of concern between the two.
  • Is there anything else that should be considered.

Any advice would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

One thing Id flag - check the registration date of the 2017 2.0tdi. If after 1st April 2017, it’ll be on the new more expensive tax system and potentially liable for luxury car tax too (circa £455pa in total at the moment)

Good point about the registration date! Although I think a 2017 2.0 TDI 190 will not be in the premium car tax bracket unless its fully loaded, whereas a 3.0 TDI quattro probably will be.

Apart from that, it may depend more on what extras come with them, as around that time things like alcantara heated seats, higher level multi-function steering wheel, colour DIS, etc. were not standard features on the S line, they became so later, not sure when though. The first S line I had did not come with these as it was a 2016 model, but was only £30 to tax. My current one is £145.

I've not driven the 3.0 but for mostly urban driving I would stick to the 2.0 unless quattro is particularly important to you, as a 2WD 2.0 will be a bit more economical, you can expect a good 43mpg urban & 54+mpg longer journeys. If they are both auto then they will both have the same S tronic gearbox, which does divide opinion, but I personally love it. There will be a lot more choice of 2.0 TDI models than 3.0 if you want to shop around.

If you buy from Audi approved used then it should be a fully checked and a genuine mileage car, don't know about other outlets, but you can get an hpi check done for a fee if you want to be sure.

Another thing to check on the 2.0 TDI is the fuel tank size.
The standard size is only 40 litres, whereas it could have been upgraded for free when originally bought to 53 litres (and AdBlue from about 12 to 24 litres too).
May not matter to you, but it did to me. Took me quite a while to find one that was the right colour (not white or black) and had the larger fuel tank the first time around.
The 3.0 has a larger tank to start with...make your own conclusion about fuel economy!

If you buy the 2.0Tdi, you'll probably always wonder what the 3.0Tdi would really have been like, but not the other way round. The 3.0 Tdi will make it feel like a car from the class above.

If you buy the 2.0Tdi, you'll probably always wonder what the 3.0Tdi would really have been like, but not the other way round. The 3.0 Tdi will make it feel like a car from the class above.

Quite possibly true, but in that case you should perhaps go for the 3.0 TDI 272 with the tiptronic, else you will always wonder what IT would have been like, as so on....

Quite possibly true, but in that case you should perhaps go for the 3.0 TDI 272 with the tiptronic, else you will always wonder what IT would have been like, as so on....
I know where you're going, but personally, I think the difference between the 4 cyl 2.0 lt and V6 3.0 is bigger than the difference between the 218 and 272 hp versions. And if they are similar money, I'd go for the V6. Rarity will possibly help residuals as a bonus.

Reactions: Robert-
Of course that’s perfectly true, I’m sure the 3.0 is worth the difference to some.

Although the first question in the list above was about the difference in fuel economy, which would favour the 2.0

Of course that’s perfectly true, I’m sure the 3.0 is worth the difference to some.

Although the first question in the list above was about the difference in fuel economy, which would favour the 2.0
Yes and they also said "Mainly urban driving on a daily basis." so perhaps a petrol would be a better bet?

From my experience of buying cars over the years, I would say fuel consumption is only of significance before the purchase. Once you have the car and settle into driving it your way, you just put fuel in it when it says it needs it and if you think consumption is a bit high, you ease off for a bit.
The smoothness and 'waftability' of the V6 Tdi to me is worth the two or three less mpg, but others will think differently, especially those that do high miles per year.

If fuel consumption really is a big issue though, neither of the two cars suggested should be on the list and a base level smaller cars should be on it instead.

Reactions: jds_sg and blackb9er
Get the 3.0 It's a no brainer!

Better engine, similar fuel economy (i got mid 40's easily from mine) similar insurance and you get Quattro.

Servicing costs might be slightly higher but its a small price to pay for having a V6 with bags of low down grunt, near silent at speed and gets for 40+mpg on a run.

Happy hunting. Let us know what you decide

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: akk_0091 and Robert-
Hi,

I am searching for my first Audi A4 and so far narrowed it down to two versions. I have a few questions if anyone can shed any light.

2016/17 A4 S line 3.0 TDI Quattro 218 bh with under 20k on the clock vs 2017 A4 S line 2.0 TDI 190 bh under 20k are the two of interest. Any input would be great.

Main questions:

• What are the differences between the two in regards to MPG (Mainy urban driving on a daily basis.) I suspect the 3.0 may drink a little more but checking online only a one or two MPG or so more than the 2.0 . What do these cars truly do on MPG ?
  • I would prefer to buy from Audi via the used approved. But haggling seems to have died out in the UK from last time I bought a car.

How much average annual mileage will you think you'll do? Diesels, especially heavy lumps of v6 at the front, will not have much of a difference to petrol especially if you do short start stop urban journeys....

Reactions: jds_sg
One thing Id flag - check the registration date of the 2017 2.0tdi. If after 1st April 2017, it’ll be on the new more expensive tax system and potentially liable for luxury car tax too (circa £455pa in total at the moment)

Thanks for that, I was unaware of the extra tax, worth a look into.

Good point about the registration date! Although I think a 2017 2.0 TDI 190 will not be in the premium car tax bracket unless its fully loaded, whereas a 3.0 TDI quattro probably will be.

Apart from that, it may depend more on what extras come with them, as around that time things like alcantara heated seats, higher level multi-function steering wheel, colour DIS, etc. were not standard features on the S line, they became so later, not sure when though. The first S line I had did not come with these as it was a 2016 model, but was only £30 to tax. My current one is £145.

I've not driven the 3.0 but for mostly urban driving I would stick to the 2.0 unless quattro is particularly important to you, as a 2WD 2.0 will be a bit more economical, you can expect a good 43mpg urban & 54+mpg longer journeys. If they are both auto then they will both have the same S tronic gearbox, which does divide opinion, but I personally love it. There will be a lot more choice of 2.0 TDI models than 3.0 if you want to shop around.

If you buy from Audi approved used then it should be a fully checked and a genuine mileage car, don't know about other outlets, but you can get an hpi check done for a fee if you want to be sure.

Thanks for the reply, I've looked at a 3.0 that I would get for the right price but if not that paticular car I would be looking for a 2.0.

Another thing to check on the 2.0 TDI is the fuel tank size.
The standard size is only 40 litres, whereas it could have been upgraded for free when originally bought to 53 litres (and AdBlue from about 12 to 24 litres too).
May not matter to you, but it did to me. Took me quite a while to find one that was the right colour (not white or black) and had the larger fuel tank the first time around.
The 3.0 has a larger tank to start with...make your own conclusion about fuel economy!

Bigger tank for more fuel, fair point. What is the AdBlue about ?

Bigger tank for more fuel, fair point. What is the AdBlue about ?
New cars require AdBlue to reduce emissions as well as diesel (and more recently petrol too). It’s about £1/litre and good for 1000 miles approx. Car needs 12l or 24l. Won’t start without it.

Yes and they also said "Mainly urban driving on a daily basis." so perhaps a petrol would be a better bet?

From my experience of buying cars over the years, I would say fuel consumption is only of significance before the purchase. Once you have the car and settle into driving it your way, you just put fuel in it when it says it needs it and if you think consumption is a bit high, you ease off for a bit.
The smoothness and 'waftability' of the V6 Tdi to me is worth the two or three less mpg, but others will think differently, especially those that do high miles per year.

If fuel consumption really is a big issue though, neither of the two cars suggested should be on the list and a base level smaller cars should be on it instead.

I just want to know roughly what they do, always perefered diesel as they are more robust than petrol.

Get the 3.0 It's a no brainer!

Better engine, similar fuel economy (i got mid 40's easily from mine) similar insurance and you get Quattro.

Servicing costs might be slightly higher but its a small price to pay for having a V6 with bags of low down grunt, near silent at speed and gets for 40+mpg on a run.

Happy hunting. Let us know what you decide

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Makes sense, will do.

How much average annual mileage will you think you'll do? Diesels, especially heavy lumps of v6 at the front, will not have much of a difference to petrol especially if you do short start stop urban journeys....

Roughly I do 20 miles a day back and forth into Manchester centre which can be slow going as you get into the centre, other drives can vary I can do 8 - 10k per year but this could increase once I get my new A4.

New cars require AdBlue to reduce emissions as well as diesel (and more recently petrol too). It’s about £1/litre and good for 1000 miles approx. Car needs 12l or 24l. Won’t start without it.

Can you fill this up your self ?

Reactions: blackb9er
Can you fill this up your self ?
yep you can buy it from the petrol station, halfords or online and you fill it up yourself, I only had to top up mine myself once in the 3 years I had the car. They top it up when your car goes in for service.

I got 2.0TDI 190 and if I was you I’d go for the 3.0TDI Quattro. The Quattro alone is worth it, after my S3 then going back to FWD sucks.

Also my 2.0 falls into the higher tax bracket and not “fully loaded” by any means. S-line with tech pack and Daytona paint knocked it over 40k RRP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did wonder because I also have an S line with the 190 TDi engine, Daytona & tech pack, but its the saloon and the dealer told me that the taxable value was approx. £39.5K can't recall exactly what. It was the first question I asked him as I didn't want to drift over the 40K barrier by mistake. Bad enough going from £30/year to £145...

I was considering the Black Edition but I think that would have been that little bit more on the new value which may have tipped it over. But I'm not that keen on black plastic trim and privacy glass and the flat bottomed steering wheel does nothing for me, so stuck with the S line instead.

I did wonder because I also have an S line with the 190 TDi engine, Daytona & tech pack, but its the saloon and the dealer told me that the taxable value was approx. £39.5K can't recall exactly what. It was the first question I asked him as I didn't want to drift over the 40K barrier by mistake. Bad enough going from £30/year to £145...

I was considering the Black Edition but I think that would have been that little bit more on the new value which may have tipped it over. But I'm not that keen on black plastic trim and privacy glass and the flat bottomed steering wheel does nothing for me, so stuck with the S line instead.

When I originally ordered an A4 back in 2018 it was an Avant, black edition and virtual cockpit and I made sure it just fell under 40k I think the prices jumped up a little around facelift time as they added some extra stuff as standard

Yeah that is really annoying, especially when you had considered that exact issue and thought you'd avoided it...
But then this whole premium car tax thing is a pain, especially in the 2nd hand market, as it runs for 5 years after the first tax payment.

Reactions: tickedon
Government are fleecing us, roads get worse yet we pay more tax....

Reactions: WesT-gefül, rasA4, tickedon and 2 others
Yeah that is really annoying, especially when you had considered that exact issue and thought you'd avoided it...
But then this whole premium car tax thing is a pain, especially in the 2nd hand market, as it runs for 5 years after the first tax payment.

Yeah man, just have to suck it up and hope the fuel saving will cover it

Hi,

Main questions:

Update:

I lost the 3.0 litre, price dropped a fair bit but I waiting for a further drop and someone swooped in and took it. Very nice Silver A4 2016 3.0 from Audi Wolverhampton last month. If you are on here and purchased that car well done, hope you enjoy. Very nice car.

I have put a deposit on a 190 bh that has come up with loads of add ons. Just waiting for it to arrive in the local dealer for a test drive.

Has anyone used the Audi price guarantee? I've noticed a very similar spec car for £1000 less 59 miles away.

Reactions: cuke2u
I’ve had use of both the 3.0 218 and the 2.0 tdi Both Quattro (no point buying a fwd audi), still have my 2.0tdi, hopefully that makes my opinion more neutral.

Just my opinion, but the 3.0 218 isn’t much quicker or far superior to the 2.0 190. Yes it’s a bit quieter/smoother but the 2.0tdi isn’t noisy or unrefined for a diesel. The only thing the 3.0 tdi is much better at is when the gearbox is in 7th at under 1500rpm and the 2.0 lugs whereas the 3.0 doesn’t. Mpg is similar on motorways the 2.0 tdi will do around 48-50mpg on a 70mph run the 3.0tdi will do 45-48mpg.

If you have the toys on the car, matrix lights, adaptive suspension, virtual cockpit etc I’m sure you’d appreciate it over the 3.0.

Edit: Just read you’re interested in the urban mileages, I do travel in Birmingham city centre often and my 2.0 tdi does about 30-33mpg from cold the 3.0 from memory was around 25-30mpg. It would probably improve by 5mpg once warm.

Last edited:
What do you get in your 2.0 petrol?

I have a friend who own an A4 2.0l Tfsi 190 petrol 2016 fwd, he is also into checking mpg’s, he told me gets around 24mpg from cold urban 35-40mpg motorway at 70mph.

By the way everything I’ve mentioned is actually MPG measured From refuelling to brim, not off the Trip. I live 5 minutes off the motorway so I have tank fulls where it’s almost all motorway or all city.

I'm surprised by the 2.0TDI 190 only returning those figures. I have a 2.0TDI 150 - my average (urban and non-urban) over 10.5k of tracked miles is 52.7MPG - my motorway runs are usually 55-57mpg! When I exclusively potter around London, I still see mid-high 30s. Maybe I just have a light foot :)

Sounds about right, if I’m driving around Birmingham say 1-5mile journeys it’s usually about 37mpg on the trip. The trip is fairly accurate too for short journeys, from actual fuel used its 30-33mpg. Usually closer to 33.

My 2.0 tdi is a quattro so if you’re getting 55mpg and I’m doing just under 50mpg on motorway runs I’d say that’s normal for quattro losses.

Has anyone mention the 2.0 TDI 190 Quattro, I love my 2016 ... more than powerful enough for me and the Grip is Amazing! .. that my 2 pence anyway :)

Any ideas on good insurance company's? Mines gone right up. Current company want £1400 for some reason. Confused comes back at around £600.