Which A4 Cab - Help Please ?

Spy

Carmaniac
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking to pick up a second hand A4 Cabriolet for my wife (probably a 2006).

The car will be an automatic/multitronic.

Which engine would you guys recommend ?
We have driven the 2.0 T which we thought had the right amount of power.

How would the 1.8T or 2.0 Diesel compare to this ?

Thanks for your help and advice.

If you can afford it go for the 2.0T the VAG diesel ain't great and with the roof down its not the kind of noise you want to be hearing. I guess you have a budget around 16-17k if you can try and find a 3.0 TDi V6 cabriolet. If your looking at finance and have a reasonable deposite Audi are doing a reasonble offer on there solutions plan.

If you can afford it go for the 2.0T the VAG diesel ain't great and with the roof down its not the kind of noise you want to be hearing. I guess you have a budget around 16-17k if you can try and find a 3.0 TDi V6 cabriolet. If your looking at finance and have a reasonable deposite Audi are doing a reasonble offer on there solutions plan.

My worry about the 3.0TDI is the high emissions. With pending road tax changes it will cost over £400 to tax !

thats the auto box that pushes it close, I thought the 3.0 kept out of the higest band and was under the 225 threshold ? The 2.0T will be quite high too.

thats the auto box that pushes it close, I thought the 3.0 kept out of the higest band and was under the 225 threshold ? The 2.0T will be quite high too.

Hi Steve,

The 2.0T Auto is 204 g/km and teh 3.0 TDi Auto is 223g/km

You are right, the 3.0 does stay just above the magic 225

I thought the tax bands were changing to be more punitive and would have put the 2.0 ina different backd to the 3.0

Looking at it again, it appears the government has changed it and both stay in the same tax band - woohoo.

It looks like I will need to rethink my choice of engine !

I'd be fairly surprised if you got a 3.0TDI Cabrio for 16-17k though.

I have the 2.0T FSI S-Line Special Edition Cabrio, and to be honest, the engine suits it perfectly. Enough power (200bhp more or less) combined with decent economy (easily over 30mpg) and no top-down diesel clatter....

Sticking to FWD means that weight is kept down and transmission losses reduced (although front tyres don't last long!).

The only other cabrio I looked at was the RS4 (a 2 year old RS4 was barely more than I paid for my brand new 2.0T). It was fun to drive, and sounded good, but I do a 100 mile round-trip commute per day, and fuel costs would have been silly.

I can't recommend the 2.0T cabrio enough. Great car. Make sure you get the S-Line though, with the 18" wheels. The arches are quite big, and with anything smaller than 18s, the car will look like it is running on castors!! I've actually got 19s on mine now, and they look about right.

Hi All,

I am looking to pick up a second hand A4 Cabriolet for my wife (probably a 2006).

The car will be an automatic/multitronic.

Which engine would you guys recommend ?
We have driven the 2.0 T which we thought had the right amount of power.

How would the 1.8T or 2.0 Diesel compare to this ?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Does anyone have experience of the 1.8T in a convertible ?

How would you say it compares to the 2.0T - is it underpowered for the weight of the car ?

I'd be fairly surprised if you got a 3.0TDI Cabrio for 16-17k though.

I have the 2.0T FSI S-Line Special Edition Cabrio, and to be honest, the engine suits it perfectly. Enough power (200bhp more or less) combined with decent economy (easily over 30mpg) and no top-down diesel clatter....

Sticking to FWD means that weight is kept down and transmission losses reduced (although front tyres don't last long!).

The only other cabrio I looked at was the RS4 (a 2 year old RS4 was barely more than I paid for my brand new 2.0T). It was fun to drive, and sounded good, but I do a 100 mile round-trip commute per day, and fuel costs would have been silly.

I can't recommend the 2.0T cabrio enough. Great car. Make sure you get the S-Line though, with the 18" wheels. The arches are quite big, and with anything smaller than 18s, the car will look like it is running on castors!! I've actually got 19s on mine now, and they look about right.

any pictures ? i'm still swaying towards a saloon.

With the 3.0TDi they are about if you look. I've seen a tidy looking 3.0TDi manual 2005 model (non S Line) but with full leather heated sports seats for £15995 its got just over 45k on the clock.

any pictures ? i'm still swaying towards a saloon
See below - these were taken a few weeks ago, before I fitted my new 19" alloys (these 18s are now on ebay!!)
Back.jpg

Back2.jpg

Front.jpg

very nice, they look great in black but i've got to have something different next time. hmm DTM or cabriolet...

Cheers - I live right next to the beach (20 seconds walk), so it's easy to go down there and get some good pictures at sunset if the weather is good.

Hi mate, are the wheels you are selling genuine audi? Do you have a link? Are you leaving the suspension standard to fit the 19's, if so how does it look with them on, im thinking about going for some myself but dont really want to change the suspension.
Cheers

Yes, the 18" wheels are genuine Audi, they were fitted to the car as standard when I bought it new. If you are interested they are item number 190308028631 on ebay.

The 19s look good, although I think the suspension needs to drop by an inch to make it perfect. The offset of the new wheels is 35 (instead of the 43 offset of my old wheels) which means they fill the arches slightly better. I'll try and take some photos this weekend if the sun comes out!

I'll get some KW coilovers soon, but the next thing to be fitted is a quad-pipe Milltek, which will have to be specially finished as they only come with dual-tips. This will give my car the S4 look at the rear, but also means I need an S4 diffuser!