Which A3 is right for me?

AudiSport

Reaction score
Hi team!

Well after 4 years of owning my B7 A4 Quattro it was time to move on - I fancied a change really and wanted to sell before I lost too much money. We have also sold our Qashquai (thank god!) and replaced it with an E60 520d which will be my wives car and double up as the family car at weekends.

I now need to buy myself a new car, and after flirting with VW Golfs I just miss the interior build of Audi's. So, I have narrowed it down to a 2004 - 2008 A3 5-Door Auto. My budget is up to £7600. Please get in touch if you have a nice one to sell!

I am confused on which engine to choose, and would love some input from you all on the below;

Quattro: I loved this on my A4, however to convinced I needed it much. It's a different system on the A3 - does it really add much benefit for real world driving?
DSG: Auto is a must, but does this suffer from the same multitronic issues?
3.2 Quattro: Some great deals to be had with this drivetrain, and I love the idea of a large NA silky engine for my 4-mile commute to work. But the road tax is going to hurt - and put of buyers again when I come to sell in a few years...
2.0T: Great engine, and loved this is my A4. How does it work with DSG? And how would the car feel after a Revo map and no Quattro?
2.0 TDI: Good residuals and economy, however will I see any benefit on 220 miles a month?

Thank you!

Hi mate,

Based on that budget I'd suggest a 2.0 TFSi S-Line, as late as you can and probably Quattro? Remap will spice that up quite nicely!

Not sure Quattro is available in my budget with DSG... So will have to go down the FWD route. What is this like with a Remap? Fun, or frustrating?

i expect a fwd will frustrate you, traction control is infuriating, turn it off and you'll get annoyed by wheel spin. at least that's what i find with me.

the tax changed when the car was registered after 1st march 2006. not sure how much the tax for the other 2 is but if you get a 3.2 make sure it was registered before then for cheaper tax.