Which 501 sidelight bulbs??

DALE_AVANT

Reaction score
Hi all.

Need to replace my 501 sidelight bulbs as one has gone, may as well upgrade while I'm at it.

What to go for, I prefer a white output to match the upgraded headlight bulbs (not yellow or blue).

Any recommendations?

They were either Osram Nightbreakers or Phillips, can't remember as I've had both in 5 years

You want a Philips or Osram 501 4000K LED , they have light diffusers and up to a 12 year lifetime .

I'd like a set of decent sidelight bulbs, as after upgrading to the Osram Nightbreakers, the sidelights look really odd, giving off a yellow-ish light. Are the sidelight bulbs hard to change? Thanks :)

EDIT: Are the Osram 501 4000K LED suitable for use with the standard highlights?

Thanks guys, yeah the 4000k LED look decent, are they a straight swop with no issues?

hi Dale,

Cant 100% be certain but im almost certain the above LED's will be an absolute swap. Like for like and nothing else.

After all, if they are side lights..you take the old ones out..slot the new ones in and enjoy!

Not for LED sidelights i believe?

Ive got ones from China and they dont.

*Edit* Mine do say 'canbus compatible* on them so QuatrroCalum, you could be right!

Not for LED sidelights i believe?

Ive got ones from China and they dont.

*Edit* Mine do say 'canbus compatible* on them so QuatrroCalum, you could be right!

Yeah, because my neighbour fitted them on a 54 plate A6 and the bulb warning came on, that's why I was asking.

Yeah, because my neighbour fitted them on a 54 plate A6 and the bulb warning came on, that's why I was asking.

Ah i get you now. Well in any case..to the OP, get some 501 LED sidelight that have canbus written on them or pay the extra money (a few £'s) for the resistors for these lights.

Preference is towards Philips 501 led now as my Osram diffusers had cracks in them , still perfectly operational though .

The Philips equivalent has a superior ceramic wedge fit base .

The Osram Night Breakers or Philips Xtreme Vision you might have will never be white at a yellow 3700K .

Yeah compared to LED's they are of course not white in the modern sense, but white nonetheless compared to the original bulbs the car was fitted with.

Will look in to the Philips 501's, how much should these be roughly?

4000K for any halogen , but whiter than most performance bulb .

I've so called 5000K E marked and 4000K are warmer but 6000K are too pure white .