wheres my water ?

BASS 666

BMW aye right dead on..
Reaction score
hi guys and gals. this has been covered before but im looking for some fresh ideas. my car is using water [1.9 130 bhp pd a4 ] and its driving me nuts. im a mechanic and for the life of me i cant work out were the water is going. it uses a pint every few days. you name it iv tried it, presure test, sniff test, looked everywere, no sludge, no oil in water, no water in oil, no over heating, no signs of head gasket being blown. so if you have any ideas let me know cause its a head melter. thanks...

Last edited:
no mate but im pretty sure there are no leaks.

Have you checked the coolant flange at the back of the cylinder head, the rubber seals perish causing a small leak.. Maybe worth a look

Have you checked the coolant flange at the back of the cylinder head, the rubber seals perish causing a small leak.. Maybe worth a look

looked everywhere mate but gonna have another look tomorrow so i will check it thanks.

as above paper under car leave it running for a while tho

mine was leaking from rear but mors was burning away b4 it hit the floor

We had a hairline crack at the back of the res which you could only see by taking it off the mount

mine lost its water about a week or so ago, i was giving it a bit at the time i admit,
i have draind it, flushed it, and theres no leaks at all. whater pump replaced about 2k ago, everything ok
but it did ALL go
i also get a hot smell now too, i have talked about this in another link, i too am compleetly bafeld by it

I reckon its a head gasket issue, poss a leak which may be blowing straight out of the exhaust ports which could be why u cant see anything.
This has happened to me before on another car.

update.. took the splashgaurd off today put cardboard under the car for an hour while it was running, not a thing. put a presure tester on it and pumped it up to 1.5 bar and looked for about half an hour with the engine cover off and never found a thing but the presure dropped very slowly so the water is going somewhere. im thinking like snowball said. it can only be going out the exhaust ports ??????????????????

wouldn't that cause a little white smoke? have you compression tested it? Also a slow leak could be evaporating before it hits the floor. Could be inside the car, heater matrix?

wouldn't that cause a little white smoke? have you compression tested it? Also a slow leak could be evaporating before it hits the floor. Could be inside the car, heater matrix?

indide the car is bone dry so its not the matrix. as for white smoke there is none. it has me and 3 other mechanics baffled and its driving me nuts.

sounds like a tough one. Does it hold pressure when hot? could be the res cap, maybe evaporating through there.

sounds like a tough one. Does it hold pressure when hot? could be the res cap, maybe evaporating through there.

drops presure when hot or cold. gonna try a mates res cap tomorrow but i dont think its the problem.

its worth ago. If its the head it will get worse as you'l know. i have seen a head cracked into the exhaust port before and leaking that way.

its worth ago. If its the head it will get worse as you'l know. i have seen a head cracked into the exhaust port before and leaking that way.

its just so ****** fraustrating if i knew for sure it was the head gasket i would fix it and that would be it. i suppose im lucky in that i can do it myself. ah well watch this space ??????

If I was u a mechanic I would just do the head gasket and be done with it as you know it is a relatively simple job to do if you know what to do.

Have you had the rad out and given it the full inspection