Where to start??

Spooky

Reaction score
I am interested in buying some stuff for my new a4 which should be here this week.
I have read the detailing guide above but am still pretty confused about exactly what I should buy for
- a "once every 1 - 2 weeks" wash stuff
- initial detail and protection stuff

Bearing in mind I literally have nothing as I shamefully haven't really looked after my previous cars.

At a guess..
- 2 buckets (any sort?)
- grit guard(s)
- wash mitt(s)?
- pre wash (or snow foam?) no idea here
- shampoo?
- wheel cleaner

After this point I get lost . I guess a wax? Or a paint protector? Do you need both?

Any pointers or a basic shopping list would be appreciated!

Is it brand new from the dealers? If so I'd tell them not to touch it upon delivery no prep as this is usually where the majority of the swirls in the paintwork occur so you can hopefully avoid any paint correction and machining.

For a start I'd suggest a full decontamination of the paint to remove dirt, tar spots, tree sap etc.

Clay the car with a clay bar
Iron x fall out remover
All purpose cleaner
Snow foam
Shampoo with two buckets, grit guards and wash mitt
Wheel cleaner and clay bar on the alloys

Protection stage, a lot of people use a paintwork cleanser to give the best base for your wax or sealant and then a glaze for gloss. Then you're ready for your wax or sealant completely depends on what you want in protection? Wax for a more glossy deep wet finish with shorter protection life and sealant for a more glassy finish with a longer lasting protection.

Again same with protection for your alloys a good wheel sealant or wax to protect them.

You'll get a lot of different opinions on what to use and what's best, do you need two buckets etc. but really comes down to your preference and what you expect to get from it and what works for you.

Once protected it should be easy to maintain, weekly wash with a rinse, snow foam, rinse, shampoo rinse dry and you're good.

Hopefully this helps a bit mate detailing is a minefield

Brilliant .. Thanks!

Off to start a shopping basket at skins. Wish my bank account good luck!

Reactions: mcwharam
Brilliant .. Thanks!

Off to start a shopping basket at skins. Wish my bank account good luck!
Have a look on detailingworld.co.uk there's loads of good advice and there's always discount codes and group buys so can save yourself some £

You're off to a good start with your list. Just wanted to say don't panic. It may be new territory but we all started somewhere. Try some stuff. See what you like and see what works for you. Learn and move on. Any kind of detailing snobbery is to be ignored. It's so subjective as @Bristle Hound likes to remind us and he's spot on.

Do ask questions. We don't bite.

Do have fun and know that your car will be better cared for than 99% of the ones on the road.

:)

Reactions: mcwharam, Spooky and Bristle Hound

I have started making adding stuff to my basket, but I give up after a bit as the terms seem interchangeable / confusing.

I'll maybe shop for the wash basics and research the finishing stuff a bit more.

Reactions: scotty76
Might be worth giving Slim's who are forum sponsors a ring in the morning? Talk through what you want to do and they will help you. The phone is not dead. :)

Have a look at my thread on here about detailing my new B9. It should give you an idea and I got some good advice off here before I bought my products.

Why are you snow foaming twice?

Also, I've been told I need 2 mitts for the bodywork, one for the upper parts and one for the lower parts/sills.

For leather, I have bought, but not used yet, gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner. It was recommended on here.

My small video might help you with snow foam, wheel wash, body wash and then sealant. Glaze applied with machine before sealant.

I was stealing scottisha4b9 regime as he detailed his new car the other week.
Happy to only snowfoam once.

One mitt should be fine as its brand new I hope...

I had problems ordering on slims online so phoned them up, they recommended the gtechniq leather and fabric treatments so I have since added them and updated my post above.

Reactions: scotty76 and mattmanwrx
I was stealing scottisha4b9 regime as he detailed his new car the other week.
Happy to only snowfoam once.

One mitt should be fine as its brand new I hope...

I had problems ordering on slims online so phoned them up, they recommended the gtechniq leather and fabric treatments so I have since added them and updated my post above.

One mitt should be fine, however, you clean one sill, it picks up a stone or some grit, you then use on the rest of the car, scratches everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I have one mitt, and need to order another. This is just what the guys on detailing world told me.

I wouldn't see the point in snowing twice though. What the first doesn't get off, I doubt a second would.

I think all the leather treatment stuff is the same, tbh.

Reactions: Spooky
Make sure you get the grit off the car, a tip that helps is snow foam on a dry car, this lets the foam dwell for longer. Using it on a wet car means it slithers off easier. Wash car from top down. Using two buckets helps to reduce the grit damage.

Reactions: mattmanwrx