Where to get coolant?

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi all,

My coolant has dropped below the min mark and so needs topping up. The manual says to use an antifreeze additive G12 A8D. I went to halfords and they only had their own brand generic stuff. Asked the guy in there and he says there are 2 sorts, red and blue and you shouldn't mix them. He said I should check with the dealer who services my car to see which type they use and top up with that.

Seems a bit of overkill to have to take the car in to the garage just to top up the coolant. Anyone know which sort I should be using and where I'd get hold of some of the right stuff? (Car as per signature).

Should I top up with water in the meantime or best not to dilute the stuff already in there?

Thanks.

Mike

Hi
The majority are running G12 which is red (or pink if the strength is low) and yes it cannot be mixed with the blue G11
To make things worse , there is a new one G12+ and that is lilac in colour
Just have a quick at the expension tank you should be able to rell
Sarah

Doh! Thanks all. I assumed when he was talking about red and blue he meant the colour of the bottle, not the actual coolant! :eek:)

They only had blue in Halfords, mines the G12 and red. So where do I get some?

Who/what/where is GSF Sarah?

Thanks.

Mike

Halfords do sell the red stuff. They sell it in a navy blue container where as the older stuff is sold in a see through container. I got some last weekend
The important thing is to check it meets the correct VW spec
Only use coolant additive G 012 A8 D - meeting specification TL VW 774 D.
Identification: red colour
G 011 A8 C the older blue colour meets VW 774 C

Although G12 is highly recommended, any type of coolant should suffice. After all it is the water which cools the engine not the coolant.

GSF = German Swedish French, it took me a while to work it out! They seem to be pretty good for most things. Hope this helps. Richard :icon_thumright:

golf said:
Although G12 is highly recommended, any type of coolant should suffice. After all it is the water which cools the engine not the coolant.

The G11 and G12 are made up differently chemically and if you mix them the coolant turns a brown colour and this can degrade the seals in the cooling system and lead to all sorts of problems. So if you coolant looks brown someone has put the wrong coolant in at some time.
Even my 1993 Audi 80 uses the G12 so the best thing on modern Audis is stick to G12

The red and blue is the colour of the coolant
The only ones that will mix is the red and purple or the blue on purple
Red and blue as has been said will cause a reaction and cause it to damange the internals with the reaction
I myself would stick to the red G12
Sorry yes GSF=German Swedish and French
There are many branches around http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ try that link
Hope that helps
Sarah

Halfords do sell the red stuff. They sell it in a navy blue container where as the older stuff is sold in a see through container. I got some last weekend
The important thing is to check it meets the correct VW spec
Only use coolant additive G 012 A8 D - meeting specification TL VW 774 D.
Identification: red colour
G 011 A8 C the older blue colour meets VW 774 C

Just to update the above useful post to November '09.

Halfords have changed their packaging and this product is now in a GREY bottle with the product name 'Anti-Freeze and Coolant'. It doesn't mention G12 anywhere on the labels but does have a small panel which lists the manufacturers for whom it meets their requirements. First on the list is Audi to standard TL774D.

The coolant is pinky red in colour and you mix with water dependent on level of protection required (e.g. it recommends 33% Anti-freeze:67% water for tempatures down to -18 degrees).

I found that topping up from just below the minimum mark to the maximum level took less than 0.5 litre of mixture.

The cost of the 1 litre bottle was £6.99

Hey guys excuse my ignorance how is the best way to drain the coolant out to put fresh in?

Looks like ive got to drain mine as I didnt know you cannot mix blue with red and I put some blue in mine the other day!!! ouch

when u mix the blue and red, it gets to think and over time will block up the system...i think all audi should be running to red coolant.

i use comma red, never had a problem with it.

TOM, best way is to get a hose pipe, still it in the header tank, take off the lower rad pipe and flush it though. then the matrix too....reconect and fill up, remba to bleed to system too.

Im not sure on the Matrix part mate....tell me where it is....am picking up a haynes manual tomorrow so that will give me some good pics to go by...

I think when i had my cambelt done and water pump changed they never bled the system properly...im going to do it tomorrow.

under the scuttle panel, on the right handside of the battery, you'll see to pipes going into the bulk head, thats the matrix pipes. the top one should have a small pin hole within a white circle.
All you have to do is pull the pipe off until the pin leaks fluid, keep the tank topped up and let it run for about 4/5mins....until the water is flowing with ease.

Nmahi -> cheers for the post i'll have a look tomorrow I know the pipes your on about and will have a go...

Most B6 models have a plastic bleed screw on top of a metal pipe under the plastic top engine cover (held on by 3 90degree twist screws) Be aware though that this screw can shear off and will need to be drilled out if that happens, some even leak, so if you experience coolant loss check here first. The correct coolant is the G12+ reddy pink in colour, it is miscible with G11 and G12 but i wouldn't recommend mixing it. Dilute it 50/50 with deionised water. Get G12+ from main audi or VAG group dealer, about £5 for 1.5 litre bottle. Best way to flush system is to remove the thermostat and use hose to flush top to bottom, reconnect thermo housing (minus thermo) and fill with plain water and run for several minutes, drain and repeat several times. Fit thermostat and refill with 50/50 G12+ and deionised water. Bleed from plastic screw described previously.

Just to update the above useful post to November '09.

The cost of the 1 litre bottle was £6.99

Why not just go to any VAG dealer and buy some G12++ ?(yes that's plus plus)

It's about £9 inc vat for 1.5 ltrs :thumbsup:

:kissmyrings:

Why not just go to any VAG dealer and buy some G12++ ?(yes that's plus plus)

It's about £9 inc vat for 1.5 ltrs :thumbsup:

:kissmyrings:

That would have been my preferred option too. But unfortunately I only realised I needed it late on a Saturday afternoon, before a long drive the following day, and there were no local VAG dealers who were open!