Where to get a K04-23 rebuild kit?

J B

Reaction score
As the title really, as my engine is in bits at the moment due to a cracked head, it looks like the oil seals have gone on my turbo so I am looking to renew the seals and the other internals. there is very little play and I havnt spotted any cracks in the hotside so was thinking I would do it myself as I have enough to spend putting the car back together!

I have searched the internet but it just comes up with ebay sales and im not sure what I should be looking for so any help appreciated.

You plan to rebuild your turbo yourself?...

tbh... I would have a chat with Dan (beachbuggy) and get it built and balanced properly mate...

<tuffty/>

I figured that if it was reassembled in exactly the same orientation as when it was unassembled it should in theory still be balanced? Or am I way off the mark?

Jb

my very first turbo rebuild a k03 was done that way, and its still going strong 4 years later and 30000miles so yes it can be done, it was in good condition then and probably didn't need a rebuild anyway so had little or no wear. In theory you are correct as really the only parts you are changing are the thrust washer and thrust collar that'll effect the balance and these should be pretty balanced anyway as they are round and machined, but there lies the risk, and to be honest on a k03 its very easy to take the turbo off if it goes wrong but on the k04 its a real ball ache so its not really worth the risk not to get it balanced! The cost typically around £50 is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Imho get it balanced ... Seriously not worth the risk..

Ok so if I rebuild it and then get it balanced il probably save myself a few £ on the way, thanks for the advice like you say £50 for peace of mind is nothing. So where should I be looking to get a rebuild kit?

LOL... have you not read any of this thread??? have a chat with beachbuggy dude ;P

<tuffty/>

Reactions: m19lte and Vex182