Where to buy H&R/ Bilstein suspension HELP!!

I

imported_Yaseen

Just been told that MOT revealed both rear springs have cracks in them, the shocks are fine but im assuming its best to do the both together as been on the car for a few yesrs rather than waiting till other goes and extra labour charges,

1) is this right?

2) The best combo from what ive read seems to be H&R springs and Bilstein sports shocks, anyone reccomend a place to buy? (ideally who can give a discount for buying both)

3) how much typically should I be charged to fit by a garage?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

erm why not Fk automotive full set in one, you could probs fit them your self as you do not need to compress the springs, if you buy a complete set.

I do fitting all the time for people from north east tuning sites, £30-40 all in. so a local garage should charge £40 - £80

Thanks mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif the money sounds reasonable

I want these as because from what ive read, that combination is the best shock/spring one for the B5. Tried and trusted ride quality and ride height.

I dont want to mess about with anything else when having read lots of comments on the above I know it will meet my needs.

ok, im used of small cars ie 172 cup, 206 GTI, so suspension doesnt really effect the car just the lower you go the better it handles, but now mybes i should check out a few different types for my 1.9 Avant!

have a read by searching on AW, those crazy cats try everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

E-mailed Motorsportsworld and got this reply for the parts for my b5 A4

The Bilstein shocks are simple enough but there arer two types of springs to choose from:

H&R Sport Springs -

H-29541 Lowers 60mm front/40mm rear £136.42 inc VAT
H-29989-1 Lowers 30mm all round £135.36 inc VAT

Which springs should I go for? (im assuming 1st option but dont want to get it wrong)

Wheels will be 8x18"s

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

p.s. why are springs more expensive then shocks- im baffled.

i think the price of shocks you have been looking at is each, the price for springs will be for 4.
i imagine the bilstein shocks too be around £80-100 each.

Just re-read it, yup each= ouch!!

will have a look abroad to see the price difference

well mate ive found a site that does koni, bilstein, etc etc and im going for the 30-80 front and 60-90 rears from bilstein, coilover kit, ill tell you how it goes they are comming sat or mon, my 19" rims arrived this morning they are HUGE! i hope they fit!

Whats most people forget abput buying from abroad is that the price you see itsnt the full price. Obviously delivery is more expensive which most people realise, but what most dont is that you have to pay a duty fee which is usually around 5% and then you pay VAT on top of everything. They charge duty not onlt on the product, but on the shipping too. So if you buy something thats £400 and £50 shipping you pay 5% on that which makes it £472.50 and then VAT which makes it £555.19.

Just so your aware (if you werent already!)

Rich

yaseen, you are a legend.
i have waited for some info on this for ages, and yes, i was getting a little impatient....sorry guys!!!
will do as you suggest right now.
dont want to go too low as i live in a speed bump/chicane/ pothole wonderland.
i understand about the weight situation, but there cant be much in a 1.6/1.8 engine weight....????

boomshanka. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MCGOUGH_A4_ESTATE said:
ok, im used of small cars ie 172 cup, 206 GTI, so suspension doesnt really effect the car just the lower you go the better it handles,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt:
But what a load of rubbish!

Go too low and you end up with an undrivable car, awful handling, totally unpredictable and likely to spit you off at the first bympy roundabout you come accross.

Lowering does not equal improving the handling. That's a schoolboy error!

i agree , every car i have lowered handles worse than standard , unless u r on good roads unlike the crap where i live

[ QUOTE ]
curtis11 said:
i agree , every car i have lowered handles worse than standard , unless u r on good roads unlike the crap where i live

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get a good shocks/spring or coilover setup with a sensible ride height, it will in many cases handle better than standard. A slightly harsher ride is worth it imo for the reduced bodyroll when cornering.

Lowering isn`t the problem, Its only when you drop very low and dont change the shocks to cope that you experience bad handling.

[ QUOTE ]
Yaseen said:

If you get a good shocks/spring or coilover setup with a sensible ride height, it will in many cases handle better than standard. A slightly harsher ride is worth it imo for the reduced bodyroll when cornering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe...
But go too low and too stiff and a standard car will be faster along a bumpy back road. Fact.

[ QUOTE ]

Lowering isn`t the problem, Its only when you drop very low and dont change the shocks to cope that you experience bad handling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing to do with the shocks when going very low...when very low you go past the chassis point of inbuilt roll resistance, and the suspension angles are all over the place...resulting in unpredictable handling.

As anyone who has studied suspension design / chassis dynamics will tell you...a well designed chassis at standard ride height will always be better than some lowered effort hacked about by someone who doesn't know what he's messing up!

The compromise is finding a sensible drop to lower the centre of gravity, combined with matches spring and damper rates, different ARB rates and modified suspension angles / pick up points to retain the chassis inbuilt roll resistance.

Not just dumping it in the weeds and tellling everyone it handles. People who preach this have absolutely no idea of correct handling.
There's much more to it than just lowering...

15 years I've been studying suspension design / chassis dynamics, and every day's a school day!

Glen, what have you got suspension wise on your Golf? It was almost depressing how much you all left me for dead going between the Jims and Knockhill. My A3 has nearly 90k on it and was considering replacing the shocks and springs after christmas. Would H&Rs and bilsteins be an improvement for the A3 as well as S3's.

Also I guess these would just lead to more understeer too.

http://www.strutbracer.co.uk/tables/audi.htm

[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
Glen, what have you got suspension wise on your Golf? It was almost depressing how much you all left me for dead going between the Jims and Knockhill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh-heh...but mu Golf has got about 6 years worth of development in the suspension!

It on Koni coil-overs, Eibach anti-roll bars, Powerflex bushes everywhere, lots of front negative camber, front toe out, Quaiffe LSD, strut brace, uprated front / rear top mounts, S3 front brakes...all of which add to the handling.

[ QUOTE ]

My A3 has nearly 90k on it and was considering replacing the shocks and springs after christmas. Would H&Rs and bilsteins be an improvement for the A3 as well as S3's.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bilstein / H&R combo would handle fantasitically, I'm almost certain of that...but I've never tried it.
Springs / dampers and ARBs would be even better! The Eibach ARB stuff works really well for FWD cars.

I'm not sure how much of a drop you will get with H&R springs...
You also may want to consider Koni shocks as you can proportionally stiffen the rear adjustable dampers to hep dial out some understeer.

[ QUOTE ]

Also I guess these would just lead to more understeer too.

http://www.strutbracer.co.uk/tables/audi.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so...
I have a front strut brace on my Golf...they are really usefull on stiff suspension as they help stop the shell from flexing, and hence keep your suspension settings where you want them, under heavy cornering.

Would you see the benefit on a standard car...I very much doubt it. I never have...
On a car with a well set up chassis, you will though...you can't go wrong with one, to be honest.

Cheers for that. I'm not that fussed about lowering much more, just something that will give a bit more bite into the corners.

To my defense, I have never been on the road before and there was the fear of going round a corner and hitting a patch of ice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif