Where is the new A1 1.8 TFSI?

Daz Auto

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the A1 will be getting the 1.8 TFSI engine in the UK?

Should offer the same performance to the Polo GTI. 0-62 in 6.7sec, 47mpg comb.

I am looking for a quick AND comfortable car. Test drove the MK7 Golf GTD a few weeks ago. Sport Suspension is great on a good road - terrible on a bad road. My wife felt a bit sick when we drove over one of the Glens. Bit like sitting in a go-kart really. Reminded me if this...

The A1 should be reasonably comfortable if they offer the Dynamic Suspension option. (For people who live in rural locations and do not want a firm, choppy, jiggly car.) I have just hit another pothole with my Mk6 GTD sport suspension and knocked my steering wheel off again! Another visit to get wheel alignment done :(

I also like that the A1 is the only Audi that has a place to rest your right foot when you set cruise control. VW have this, but no option to change suspension in their faster cars.

... unfortunately, it will likely have gloomy black headlining like my current car. But I can put up with that.

Last edited:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...but...I'm sure that I read in the press that the 1.8 engine will only be for the continental European markets. Audi didn't want to jeopardise S1 sales - that's why they killed off the A1 185 twin-charged engine, in the British market, at least.

Simon

Seems an odd choice, the 185 FWD is a million miles from the 230 AWD of the S1!

Its been scrapped in the UK

Biggest A1 engine they do petrol wise is 1.4TFSI 150ps which is what ive gone for in my due to arrive facelift :)

"Seems an odd choice, the 185 FWD is a million miles from the 230 AWD of the S1!"

...not to the people that can't quite afford an S1, Josedebardi...Audi, obviously, want people to shell out more on the - undoubtedly better - S1. The 185 was a poor mans S1...I know...I had one (as you know, mate)...

But that's my point. People that can't afford the S1 might like to buy the 185 1.8.

...sorry pal...taken your post slightly wrong...we are agreeing, really...
When I ordered my A1, the S1 hadn't been announced - damn it - I'd have had one!
Methinks that Audi don't want to risk diluting sales of the S1, by having a slightly cheaper alternative...

I suppose. But Audi AG thought it was a good idea and sell it along side the S1 in other countries. I've never understood the local market discrimination all the marques do.
The same factory churns all the options out so let the people choose they want!

...actually, I would have swapped my 185 for a 1.8, but when I asked Audi when it would be available, they said it wasn't coming to the UK...

I was speaking to my local Audi the other day and they were saying the sales for the S1 had been disappointing. I'm not sure if thats just my local Audi's take on it having not sold many, or Audi UK's consensus?

Don't see many on the road tbh either round mine. Haven't seen one outside of my dealership showroom yet and I do around 25k miles a year all over country with work!

Don't see many on the road tbh either round mine. Haven't seen one outside of my dealership showroom yet and I do around 25k miles a year all over country with work!
Saw a yellow one about a month ago.

I wonder who the S1 is aimed at. It is a lot of money for a fast, firm, boy racer A1.

Most S1 owners are 24-35. But there a few 19 and 45 yr olds amongst the pack.