Where are the glow plugs on the 2.5 tdi ?

allankennedy

Reaction score
I've had my lovely 2005 Allroad Quattro a few months now and I am enjoying it greatly, in fact it is probably the best car I've ever owned in nearly 50 years of motoring, and I've had some classics!

Being a perfectionist, when my 2.5 tdi engine hesitated to start on a couple of cold mornings, I decided, after researching the issue, that I will replace the glow plugs. Looking up my car by its reg number the guy at GSF supplied me with a set of 6 NGK plugs at a reasonable £46 and this morning I went out to fit them. That's where the problem began, I can't find them on my engine!

I have the Elsawin workshop manual showing exploded views of the cylinder heads and the glow plugs do not appear on these.

I have spent several hours surfing Google images and Audi forums and so far the detail of how to access the glow plugs of the BAU engine has escaped me.
I can see that there are some connectors, 3 on either side, just above the camshaft covers, each of which vanishes into a hole in the inlet manifold casting. Can someone please tell me that these do NOT feed the glow plugs because if they do it appears that a major operation will be needed to access them ? Please see the attached photos and if you have encountered this problem, or know anyone who has please advise me.

Thanks in advance Allan
P1040607P1040610

Had a quick look on Elsa Win which is what they use at the dealers.

Removing and installing glow plugs
Special tools and workshop equipment required

t U/J extension and socket, 10 mm -3220-
Removing
– Switch off ignition.
– Detach glow plug connectors from glow plugs.
– Clean glow plug openings in cylinder head; make sure no dirt gets into cylinder.

Note
t Cleaning procedure:
t Use a vacuum cleaner to remove coarse dirt.
t Spray brake cleaner or suitable cleaning agent into glow plug openings, let it work in briefly, and blow out with compressed air.
t Then clean the glow plug openings using a cloth moistened with oil.

– To slacken the glow plugs use special tool U/J extension and socket, 10 mm -3220-
Installing

Note
Before installing, coat threads of glow plugs with high-temperature paste → Parts catalogue, servicing materials.
– To tighten the glow plugs use special tool U/J extension and socket, 10 mm -3220- with a suitable torque wrench.
Tightening torque: 18 Nm
– Attach glow plug connectors correctly and make sure they are securely fitted.

The 3220 tool is like this
3220, Glow Plug Socket
A deep 10mm socket with a 3/8 UJ and extension would do the same job .
It appears you don't need to remove anything to get these out, I would warm the engine up before trying to remove glow plugs as they are more likely to come out. If it's really tight and won't budge leave it, Also when unscrewing them you can get a build up of carbon on the tip, best thing is to undo it a bit and then turn it back in to try and clear the carbon.

Karl.

Yes, they are the glowplug connectors on the 2nd picture.

I did mine last year, don't remember them being too difficult to be honest. Used a few socket extensions.etc

- Make sure the engine is hot when you do them, and that you use plenty of penetrating oil. If they become stiff after a couple of turns, wind them back down then back up again. They have a tendency to be fairly fragile.

Thanks for the replies but sorry, I must be missing something. If the glow plugs are on the wires in question then they must be inaccessible without at least removing the inlet manifold ? I cant even see them let alone get a spanner on them ! are we discussing the same engine (BAU 2.5 tdi)

That second picture is the glow plug cap and when I went on Elsa win I searched for a 2005 BAU engine car so those are the instructions for removing the plugs. I can see why there is a UJ on the tool. I have a 3.0 V6 TDI and they are similar to get at although to remove the back 2 I think parts have to come off.
You need some long node pliers and patience.
I have searched on the forum and found a few people who have done this and it is fiddly.
Are you sure the Coolant Temperature Sensor is OK. If these play up the glow plugs may not be turned on.

Karl.

That second picture is the glow plug cap and when I went on Elsa win I searched for a 2005 BAU engine car so those are the instructions for removing the plugs. I can see why there is a UJ on the tool. I have a 3.0 V6 TDI and they are similar to get at although to remove the back 2 I think parts have to come off.
You need some long node pliers and patience.
I have searched on the forum and found a few people who have done this and it is fiddly.
Are you sure the Coolant Temperature Sensor is OK. If these play up the glow plugs may not be turned on.

Karl.

I am now realising that the plugs are "buried" in the hole below each connector and it is going to be a very very fiddly job and yes I am sure the temp sensor is ok because the "on" time definitely varies with temperature.
I have spent most of the day surfing and found very little about this job on the BAU engine - do you know of any pictures/videos/write ups anywhere?

Thanks again Allan

Yes they are definatley the ones, they are the electrical connectors that pop off exposing the head of the glowplug.
Be careful as the electrical connectors are coated in rubber, I have found the rubber degrades over time so is abit flaky when removing.

I used a deep socket, a few extensions (1/4) - cant remember using a u/j.
Best plan is to just go for it armed with a few different tools.

Yes they are definatley the ones, they are the electrical connectors that pop off exposing the head of the glowplug.
Be careful as the electrical connectors are coated in rubber, I have found the rubber degrades over time so is abit flaky when removing.

I used a deep socket, a few extensions (1/4) - cant remember using a u/j.
Best plan is to just go for it armed with a few different tools.

I am now encouraged to do the job (when it stops raining) - When you changed your did the cold starting improve ?

I am now encouraged to do the job (when it stops raining) - When you changed your did the cold starting improve ?

Yes, when I connected the old glowplugs to a battery I actually found that 4 were actually dead!
I think I may be one or two down again as I get a slight bit of smoke on startup.

I have now successfully replaced the glow plugs as follows - ( I will also post this on a new thread for the benefit of other members)

After some careful shopping around I bought a set of six NGK glow plugs from a local branch of GSF which, with a 10% discount came to £47.00

Plugs 2

After posting a question on Audi-Sport and receiving some helpful advice I realised where they are hiding --------------------------------

Plugs3

-
There are 3 on either side just below the camshaft covers, each with a rubber cap and hidden by pipes and wiring

Plugs4

After spending some time trying to pull off the caps with various types of pliers (I believe there is a special tool for this which I don’t have) I found the best way was to wrap some strong string around the caps, tie it in a “lasso” type knot and then pull firmly until the cap clicks off. This worked a treat on all 6 caps
After reading all the dire warnings about shearing them off, the next worry was how to get the glow plugs out in one piece. I had read on one helpful post that the tightening torque is 17 nm so I reasoned that if I set a torque wrench at this value and attempt to unscrew the plugs then, whether they move or not, I will not be in danger of shearing them.
After first blasting the recesses with compressed air to remove any loose debris I then squirted a good dose of Plus Gas into each and let it soak for a while. I then took a 10mm deep socket and a universal coupling from my 3/8 inch drive socket set. With this and an extension bar I applied the torque to the plugs in an anticlockwise direction. I was quite delighted when, in each case they moved and this was with the engine cold! Following another dose of plus gas I then gingerly unscrewed the plugs with a 3/8 drive ratchet.

Plugs5

Plugs7

As each one came out I connected it across a 12 volt battery and every case there was no sign of heat. Resistance read with a Fluke multimeter varied between several megohms and infinitely high (open circuit)
Evidently the engine had hitherto been completely without working glow-plugs but had still started though with some persuasion!
Re-fitting was the reverse procedure not forgetting a dab of coppaslip on the threads and some insulation tape to cover a few splits where the wires entered the rubber plugs.
I’m now delighted to report that the engine has started first time on the last three mornings

Reactions: Scarabrae and jojo