When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

S3KO4

Reaction score
Just checking as the title says, mine was changed about 2 years ago and decided to change itabout an hour ago.

I think most people myself included don't pay much attention to it.
Car was suffering from late start, i.e. 5 seconds delay in the morning.

see the pic below

fuelfilter.jpg

That looks finished!
I'm changing mine next week as part of a small service that is due on the car I hope mine isn't as bad!

No more driving on red light for me.. + injector cleaning is next.. thanks to Dave's post.

That's fubared!

I'm changing mine in the next few weeks. Due to the issues with my fuel lines I'm expecting them to look at least that bad :(

I do mine at the same time as I change my oil, the fuel that comes out of them is always really dirty I'd hate to see what it's like after 2 years.

i do mine every year

hmmm. Never for me. It's currently 100k and I've had it 2 years. Is it hard to do? I'm currently looking to do the injectors (clean) following S3Dave thread.

I've got an lumpy idle. I've recently had some work done but it's still not right... but thank's for the tip off!

hmmm. Never for me. It's currently 100k and I've had it 2 years. Is it hard to do? I'm currently looking to do the injectors (clean) following S3Dave thread.

I've got an lumpy idle. I've recently had some work done but it's still not right... but thank's for the tip off!
Not hard but a bit tricky you need to know about the magic tab that releases the connector

After seeing that filter i'll be changing mine asap!!

When you say 5 second delay what do you mean? And also, i take it you use V Power?

I bought my filter a while ago just never got round to changing it. Any tips or even better walk through guide so i dont mess it up.

Its one of those things you don't think about, tucked away underneath, but it is vital on a turbo motor when you consider what fuel starvation can do to your engine, regular changes methinks.

Did mine a couple of years back but only because it had a pin hole in it that was ******* fuel out which shows how old it must have been .... i'll add one to the list for the next service

hmmm owned mine for 4 years and never had it changed (unless Jabba Sport did it when i had them undertake a major service), think i'll do it this weekend along with my dogbone mount.

I've had one in my garage for almost a year waiting to go on, but never bothered! haha.

having seen that, I'll do it asap. Also going to order a cleaner to do injectors too

it is supposed to be a lifetime filter so should never need to be changed. in theory. i have one and just need to swap it over. makes that delay when starting the car from cold go away in my experience.

After seeing that filter i'll be changing mine asap!!

When you say 5 second delay what do you mean? And also, i take it you use V Power?

Thank everyone, Sandip I use V power, but also Have done a lot of red light driving where the trip was giving me 5 miles etc so that must have made it worse.

In the morning the car had slow strat and not as quick as it used to be, this has helped a bit, but I will do the injectors then the oil pick up that should freshen up the engine a bit.

I would get the audi one, for the sake of a few quids, the guy gave me 12% off as well so that made it £7.84 from ~ £9.90 (vat is up!) I haggle regardless of the item or I will say I will buy it from VW or GSF and that makes them a bit softer. :)

Another task to do whilst everything is in pieces !

Does anyone have the right part number to hand ?

Another task to do whilst everything is in pieces !

Does anyone have the right part number to hand ?

I just ordered this one:
Bosch Audi | Euro Car Parts UK

I wonder what these companies think when they get a sudden influx of orders for a particular part?
"Sold 57 1.8T fuel filters today, someone must've started a thread on one of them forums..."
Same with the sonic bath in the 'Injector Cleaning' thread!

I just ordered this one:
Bosch Audi | Euro Car Parts UK

I wonder what these companies think when they get a sudden influx of orders for a particular part?
"Sold 57 1.8T fuel filters today, someone must've started a thread on one of them forums..."
Same with the sonic bath in the 'Injector Cleaning' thread!

haha car mats was another example. hence why we should get more discount as forum members

I always do mine on every service, I just thought it was part of a service, have done so on all of my cars and will continue to do so as well.

For less than a tenner it makes sense and if you have the right tools, it doesnt take long at all.

Changed mine earlier... Was full of brown sludge. Eugh

Do you need to pull any fuses for the fuel lines before attempting this? Also do you need to clamp the fuel line from the tank? Thanks

Do you need to pull any fuses for the fuel lines before attempting this? Also do you need to clamp the fuel line from the tank? Thanks

The guide I saw for doing this said to pull the fuse for the fuel pump, then start the car and let it conk out. This will de-pressurise the system. Then change the filter, then put fuse back in.

how the hell do the quick connect pipes come off???? Ive loosened the jubellee clip but cant get the pipes off!

*edit*

anyone? Ive tried prying it off and nothing, feels like im about to break something. Cant see any clips or buttons on it like most normal audi connections.

Last edited:
The back one you need a couple of screwdrivers behind and the front you need a pick or something with a bend in to unclip it...

so they just pry off with force?? Ive given up now anyway, too stressed to have another go.

There is only one tab that needs pressing and it will be facing you, get a torch clean it, and you will see a squarish tab that looks like it is part of the clip, push it in and pull on the connector at the same time...take a look carefully where he is pressing with the corner of the screwdriver....:icon_thumright:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Done mine today whilst doing My sevice, got the Bosch one from ECP. £5.20 including vat, with a bit of trade discount. I'll be changing mine every service. Would be silly not to at that price!

I went to do mine back in December but it was freezing and one side wasn't budging. I'll have another go when it warms up. Generally do the filter every service though.