when tuning an s3 is manual gearbox better or dsg

redlinehigh

Reaction score
I was just wondering are there any limitations with the dsg gearbox when tuning an s3, or is a manual gearbox better the better way to go?????? has anybody chipped a dsg and incurred any proplems! my issue is that i felt the dsg robbed you or some involvement in driving the car, or is this not the case? Your comments are much appreciated!:);):)

It depends on budgets,and how far you intend to go to be honest.

The DSG is an excellent box,and allows for very fast gearchanges,especially when mapped.

The manual box is good,but not as fast,and both have good potential for coping with torque increases.

The big differences are in how far you can go before big money needs to be spent,and what the options are.

First the manual....

Stock clutch will give in quite early,at maybe Stg2 or thereabouts which is around 330lbs,and you will need at least a Sachs organic and DMF which would get you to around 400lbs,or the start of big turbo territory.

That would cost around £1k plus fitting.

If you want more than that,a Spec Stg3+ clutch will handle over 560lbs and your gearbox will break before it does.

The box itself will probably handle around 500lbs,with a rebuild and uprated bearings,if you treat it right.

The DSG....

This will require a remap to handle torque much above 380lbs,and a clutch pack rebuild for anything above 420-440lbs,and that is very costly.

Reactions: curlo
thanks very much for your time a nd facts, they make interesting reading and clarify to facts from the fiction!;);)

Reactions: S3Alex